Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

My apologies. And thank you for the information.
    Those albums didn't appear when i did a research on the main page of MoFi on Discogs

2. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

My original UK Communique beats the MFSL any day. Not even close. And even the guy who owns the MFSL had to agree in the end :)

BuyMeVinyl and Cool Chemist like this.
  3. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

And they are laughing all the way to the bank....

4. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Those 1st UK pressings are great. I saw them all in a record ship today in mint condition. I nearly bought them all again!

wolfmac likes this.
  5. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Including Fremer - as we heard during his video tour of MOFI some years back. That doesn’t encourage the reviewerto state that the records sound sh*te.

6. MikeyVan

MikeyVan MoFaux Fraudelity Scam Labs Digi-Vinyl fan

Exactly. You can get new digi-vinyl, and even new AAA vinyl for <$30 all day long.

Why pay $750 for the 6 upcoming Van Roth digi-vinyl titles from MoFaux, when you can get these same 6 Van Halen Bellman mastered titles (and they're All AAA no less) for $125?

With the $625 saved, buy addional reasonably priced new records, or originals, or treat the wife to a fun weekend, or donate to charity....

I can't see the One-step digi-vinyl surviving at this price point....at least I'm not buying.

For premium priced vinyl titles, only ethically disclosed AAA for me. There are plenty of AP AAA titles that I do not already own for me to explore.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    matt_vinyl, CraigC, Jim B. and 11 others like this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

That’s Mofi’s Krieg Wunderlich standing between them. Tim did the mods on their gear. In particular the tape deck, but possibly the whole chain.

8. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Thank you. I did not know they were the same.

9. SkoomaDen

SkoomaDen Member

It's gone, and I could not access it in the first place.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Trial costs vary as we all probably know. I said that it was unlikely anyone will sue because I doubt any attorney would take the case for one individual. However, an attorney may take the case if they were allowed a class action suit.
    IMO, this entire case would probably hinge on the plaintiffs finding an expert that would testify there is a material difference in sound quality that results from the digital step. I would think that only the results of a blind listening test would suffice however, we all know where that could lead in a court of law.
    Also, I am not sure how the damages would be calculated. Is it the entire cost of the One Steps? I am not sure that would fly.
    You raise a good point about the Thriller upcoming release. If we see a reduction in the price over the next couple of months, we may know the fallout from all of this.

Kyhl likes this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I'm sure it's incredible but "not even close" lol. The MFSL 45 is an amazing version. Beats my U.S. and also beats my Japan flat transfer SACD (also damn incredible!) It's an extremely well recorded album.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Van Halen just seems a bizarre and lazy choice for One Steps. We're flooded with damn incredible versions of that album. Before one does anything else pick up a NM original for $20!

troggy likes this.
  13. TACOTACO

TACOTACO Forum Resident

You are welcome to leave it alone :)

But I would like some more info about this.

14. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

One person to consider is Dave Denyer - he is a cool UK based dude with an eclectic style, and totally unassuming. Well worth a peak at.

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

UPDATE

No other album's information has been updated since thursday evening, except the Van Halen's (from VH II to 1984) about which you will see the following words :
    "Mastering Source to Be Determined Closer to Production Date; Specifics Will Be Posted Here When Authenticated"

What we know so far :

Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky : 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Alan Parsons Project - I Robot - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 256
    Bill Evans - Sunday at The Village Vanguard - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master
    Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Another Side of Bob Dylan - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Love and Theft : 1" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Desire : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 256
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 64
    Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Carole King - Tapestry - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash -1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog copy direct to lathe
    David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name : 1/4" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms - Digital clone of Sony 1630 U-Matic digital master
    Dire Straits - Communique - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - The Long Run - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - On The Border - 1/4" / 15 IPS Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - Desperado - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - Eagles - 1/4" / analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - Hotel California - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Eagles - One Of These Nights - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotel : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 256
    Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Harry Nilsson - Son of Schmilsson : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Janis Joplin - Pearl - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Jeff Beck - Truth : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Los Lobos - Kiko - 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master
    Love - Forever Changes - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Mark Knopfler - Local Hero - Digital clone of 3M digital master
    Michael Jackson - Thriller : 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64
    Miles Davis - Miles Smiles : 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby SR analog remix master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby SR analog remix master to DSD 64
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64
    Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimandjaro - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Nefertiti - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - Sorcerer - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Miles Davis - E.S.P. - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 256
    Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Pretenders - Learning to Crawl - 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master
    Run DMC - Raising Hell : 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Santana - Santana - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256
    Santana - Abraxas - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood - 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 64
    The Cars - The Cars - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master
    Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream - 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    The Young Rascals - Groovin' : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    T. Rex - Electric Warrior : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 256
    Van Halen - Van Halen - 1/4" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256
    Vanilla Fudge - Vanilla Fudge : 1/4" / 15 IPS analog mono master to DSD 256
    Yes - Fragile - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 256

69 albums updated yet, 62 DSD-mastered, 2 "old digital format" mastered, 4 AAA, 1 direct-to-lathe (?)

Note 1 : these are only the records displayed on the MoFi website.
    Note 2 : none of the Silver Label series have been updated (42 albums released in all)
    Note 3 : according to Discogs database, MoFi has released roughly 1500 products, half since Jim Davis acquired MoFi in 2001.
    MoFi has released about 300 vinyls in various formats ever since.

mikeyt, Kyhl, uzn007 and 15 others like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I compared the Mo-Fi to my UK Communique. This is the one with the biggest improvement, why I never thought it used digital.

Jam757 and DaveyF like this.
  17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Note 4, I am not holding my breath waiting for information on releases that have been deleted from their website. The silver label could be a shocker so I am not sure about that one either.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

[​IMG]

19. Breakfast In America LP is missing! :realmad:

Strat-Mangler and Uglyversal like this.
  20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I recently bought VH I and its a damn fine sounding record, CB in the matrix all same as the 2015 releases. If you don't wanna give money to Walmart I am sure all the independent record stores have the same ones, Walmart will just be a few bucks less is all, plus you get the replica backstage pass....
    What's not to like!! :shrug:

Strat-Mangler and bruinuclafan like this.
  21. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I’m assuming it is the aggrieved former employee(s) who has been posting on Twitter, YouTube, and so forth. I don’t know this, but it seems more likely than current senior staff.

BuyMeVinyl and Victor Martell like this.
  22. That probably means they bypassed all of the analog signal processing they have on the console. I would think that would mean direct from tape recorder to cutting lathe.

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, I always use the Hendrix records as examples of great sounding AAA masters from original tapes, that are pressed and packaged great, that are very reasonably priced.
    If they can do that with Hendrix, why not, say, Dylan?

Old Rusty, Strat-Mangler and OldSoul like this.
  24. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

One-step vapors?

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ok out of curiosity did they use the digital DSD step on most of these releases (90 plus percent ) because they honestly do believe the sound is superior or because the tapes were not able to be transported to their facility ? I’m a little bit confused :)

Pouchkine likes this.