stargate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Aug 5, 2022.

1. As I recall, his wife (I have t watched this in years) had left him and blamed him for what happened at least in the series.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I liked the movie but never watched any of the TV shows. Was it basically the same concept?

zombie dai likes this.
  3. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

on a bigger scale. the stargate is in a network of planets. most of the planets have humans from earth taken by gualds to be hosts etc. so the series is continuing the battle and other adventures on different planets etc.

4. zombie dai

yes, she left because he thought she blamed him as a form of transference for him blaming himself so in the timeline of the film she wouldn't be a factor 'in' his life, hence the significance of skara

wayneklein likes this.
  5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched all of it and all the spin offs etc. etc. Great stuff. And yes SGU needed a third series at least...

Major Sam Carter was one of the best female characters ever written!

6. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

It is a bit weird. I liked how Farscape got around that by having everyone injected with translator microbes, similar to the Babel Fish from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Currently watching SG1 all the way through for the fifth time, only managed Atlantis a couple of times, it is a real shame Universe was axed on a major cliffhanger before a third season, I'd love new Stargate.

8. zombie dai

Dubmart and hubertfarnsworth like this.
  9. zombie dai

i like how the latter series had more nations involved- sick of americans starting galactic wars, then it is the us members in the other series who start the problems but the other nations bail them out :p

re: speaking english or dubbed in whichever country you are in, the unofficial reason is that for the first few episodes they had daniel trying to translate whilst jack rolls his eyes, but they thought people would get bored given the time it was on TV and to add more action and story they bypass it

10. zombie dai

has anyone seen the animated series?

11. zombie dai

the episode also has one of my favourite sg1 lines

KYTANO
    I see you are one who speaks your mind, O'Neill.

O'NEILL
    Yes, which is why I don't say much.

darth caedus and Simon A like this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My brief history of Stargate...

Saw the movie in the theaters and loved it. I don't recall if I ever tuned into the TV show or not...

One late night I come across something in syndication, I see this big ship and a very handsome man (Joe Flanigan) and it turns out to be Stargate Atlantis (I now know the episode was Travelers.) So I started DVRing all the Stargate I could, and soon ads started appearing on bus stops and such for SGU so I got in on the ground floor of that.

So I've watched:
    SG-1 - all of it once, seasons 9-10 twice and The Ark of Truth, Continuum and Origins twice. Currently rewatching SG-1 from the beginning (now up to S4!)
    Atlantis - all of it twice
    SGU - all of it twice (just went through all the special features for the first time.)

My favorite is SGU, which I name the second greatest television show of all time (after the Battlestar reboot.)

Really hoping Amazon comes through with a new series that will at least give us a proper send off for both SGU and Atlantis while embarking on new adventures.

zombie dai likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd have to recommend starting with Stargate: Atlantis. If only because they perfected the formula by then.
    SG-1, kinda like ST: The Next Generation takes a bit to get going.
    But as I said in my previous post Stargate Universe is my favorite of the three and I don't think you need to know a lot to jump in there either.

Dillydipper likes this.
  14. zombie dai

sgu is very different in tone. sg1 and atlantis is running around with guns. sgu, as you suggest, is more like battlestar- it is slower and exists in a limited space (no pun intended) the majority of it happening on a ship and aliens who don't speak english. the original sg1 team are the best team but the bad guys from atlantis are the best bad guys. flanigan, imo, does a poor impression of dean andersonas does the person who replaces him on sg1.

if you like battlestar @Dillydipper then start with sgu

Dillydipper likes this.
  15. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Exactly. Which is exactly Taylor’s (Heston’s) motivation in the first Planet of the Apes movie.

AndyTaylor likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You know…I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I think that SGU shares a visual aesthetic with Battlestar, but story wise it’s much closer to Star Trek: Voyager. The first few episodes of SGU and BSG have a few common ideas; trapped in space what do you do for clean air, water and food. But once basic human needs are met SGU turns to the theme of brining two crews together (civilians vs military) much like Voyager (Starfleet vs Maquis) did, with a ship lost far, far from home.

I disagree with you on Flanigan vs Anderson, for me Anderson is the weak link of SG-1. That “throw everything away” style just doesn’t work for me. I find Flanigan to be much more believable and capable.

17. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

i'm rewatching atlantis, the wraith are a great villain but the show suffers due to either bad writing or a lack of charisma from weir, shepherd, taylor and rohnan

18. darth caedus

any update?

19. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Been in development hell for a decade plus. If anything ever happens you’ll hear about it.

Original movie was pretty good, no idea why it tanked. I thought it was a cool concept.

SG-1 was solid, albeit somewhat repetitive. The four leads were great. They pretty much ran out of ideas around s6 or s7 though. It took a hit when RDA didn’t want to do any location work so they bumped off Hammond and replaced him with O’Neil as general so he could just film on the base. Then when RDA left totally, forget about it. Didn’t work on any level.

Atlantis … meh. Watched it at the time but sat down for a rewatch recently and just couldn’t be bothered. The Jack O’Neil wannabe character was a mistake, I also find McKay to be irritating. They struck gold with the SG1 cast, it’s hard to replace chemistry like that.

SG Universe … never watched it sorry. From what I understand they took it awfully seriously.

AndyTaylor likes this.
  20. darth caedus

they also tried to replicate him with cam mitchell in sg1

AndyTaylor likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say they successfully bettered him with Cam Mitchell.

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Too me as a loyal watcher back then rewatched it twice..
    The sheer gaul and ego.. that humans using only 20 percent of there brain
    Could over power some vastly higher intelligent races..
    And interfering with other races ways shoving our ideals on them..
    Seems a bit narcissistic.. This series became joke after a awhile..
    It was on too long Stargate1 10 yrs was too long..
    Stargate Atalantis was alright a different direction..

23. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I loved SG-1 and Atlantis but just could not get into Universe at all. Tried a few episodes and gave up. It was missing the fun and adventure, as well as the lovable characters, that made the other two so enjoyable.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Universe is the best of the three shows...by far.

The problem is they expected their audience who had watched 15 season of Stargate material to have grown up; to be able to enjoy a more adult story, and sadly that wasn't the case. People wanted slapstick.

will_b_free likes this.
  25. darth caedus

to be fair it only got going quite late into it. it was at its best just before they cancelled it