Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Some inevitably vague stats:

Since 2020, there have been 13 new Archives physical releases of audio material. (discounting dvds and reissues)

That leaves 17 that have been mentioned/scheduled etc…in somewhat specific terms. Of those, possibly 6 are part of “Archives Vol. 3” so can be bunched together as one release for the purpose of the stats.

So that would be approx 11 left from the “announced” or “planned” releases that look like they might actually be released.

What that means is that if “Archives 3” and possibly the two remaining “Bootleg Series” get released this year, it would be well over the half way mark for the first time - about 70% of what’s been announced so far would’ve been released.

That’s quite significant I wold say. It means that, at current rate, the backlog of announced/planned releases could be cleared by 2023. At one point, the release rate meant that it would’ve taken something like 32 years.
    It’s interesting to note that Neil’s habit of announcing new releases years before anything happened seems to have ended a couple of years ago. Hopefully this means that next year will see this list end, and potentially a new, smaller list start to appear as releases are announced in a reasonable time frame in relation to their actual release.

2. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I don't know what's holding up Rainbow 1973 and The Ducks. Haven't they already been pressed?

905, PacificOceanBlue, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Thanks for maintaining that list @Mbd77, very helpful

keef285 and Mbd77 like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Neil being Neil?

5. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Rainbow appeared on Amazon IT with a release date of 26 August 2022 if I recall well.
    The Ducks also showed up on a Hungarian retailer site with a date early July.
    Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Enjoying Noise & Flowers a lot and assuming this wasn’t the last 2022 NY release I’ll shell out my money for.

6. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I have to give Neil credit. He’s had a very ambitious/ aggressive release schedule the last few years, to me the highlight being the left field Carnegie Hall from last year. I’m not sure what he has up his sleeve for the rest of the year, but my hope is that we see Archives III in November or so. I’d be ok if he delayed the Ducks or Rainbow until 2023. Don’t get me wrong, I won’t be upset if he releases both albums before years end. But not at the expense of releasing Archives III in 2022.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I wish he’d get back on track on reissuing the studio albums on vinyl rather than focusing on the bootleg series.

8. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Not me, I'll take new over old any day. I already have all of his albums anyway, apart from Eldorado and TFA.

Twinge Crispy and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would love to see Archives 3 later this year, but won’t be surprised if it gets bumped to 2023. Maybe it will be like Archives 2 with a late year release of the limited edition version and a mainstream release of the standard version the next year.

Matthew Tate and chickendinna like this.
  10. Floyd fan 71

Floyd fan 71 Forum Resident

I want mirrorball live with Pearl Jam . Underrated album imo

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    ARK, Sorcerer, 905 and 5 others like this.
  11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I wish I could disagree with you, but I can’t. I have this feeling that Neil will delay the next Archives box until 2023, perhaps in the Fall. If that’s the case, I’ll be content with the Rubin produced Crazy Horse album or some aforementioned Bootleg series releases before years end.

ARK likes this.
  12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I pre-ordered “Time Fades Away” on Amazon and got the free “Auto-Rip” immediately

905 and Floyd fan 71 like this.
  13. He said in a LTTE reply that there wouldn’t be a limited edition release of Archives Volume 3.As it has already been mastered apparently and production of CD’s and Blurays only takes a few weeks I’m guessing if it is delayed into 2023 the reason might be the production of the hardcover book to go with the Deluxe (Bluray?) version.If it is delayed I’m hoping is only until March/April.

14. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Time Fades Away available on CD for all who have wrung hands for years:

Time Fades Away CD

Hep Alien, jay.dee, Gavaxeman and 8 others like this.
  15. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Don't Be Denied :p

16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Yep it’s finally in my hands …. Took so long I brought a vinyl copy 10 years ago

Matthew Tate and James Bennett like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Got my copy today!
    [​IMG]

18. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

So, please bear with me, but this is the same as the record that came out a few years ago, lacquers cut by Chris Bellman?

19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

He wrote today that they are not satisfied with the results and they will come out when they are done right.

20. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

people own physical copies of these two already. 100% fact.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

People. Top…people.

ET3311 likes this.
  22. Paul Gase

You mean, people at the top? Top people? Not people below the top, but people above below? Like top people? :)

23. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Like people who live in penthouses?

24. Paul Gase

Only Penthouse 35.

Boswell and Sean like this.
  25. More specifically he said it is a vinyl issue.
    I’m practicing restraint this morning so will not add any more.

Paul Gase and Lands End Drums like this.