Saturday Night Live - Season 48 (2022-2023) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

No offense, but i'm glad you're not in charge!

2. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Then you never saw the Lexus Christmas To Remember commercial among other skits. Heidi's great!

JCM800, Dan C, Hall Cat and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Is this a good or bad thing lol

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Can't answer that for you, but he wrote David S. Pumpkins, Science Lab, and the UFO abduction interview sketches.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Counting featured players, there were 13 cast members in 1985-86, and 12 for 1988-89.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. INSW

INSW Senior Member

True, but at the risk of being nitpicky, most of those feature players either rarely appeared or came on late in the season or left after a few shows. The meat of the Hartman/Carvey/Miller/Myers years basically had nine and a couple floaters like Al Franken and A. Whitney Brown.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

True. I was just pointing out there were years in the 80s where the entire cast was larger than ten. But no argument that there are much larger casts of players who are actually used regularly, now.

It is worth nothing though that with the recent large casts, there have been several regulars who have had lengthy mid-season absences. Last year, Strong, McKinnon, and Davidson all had long absences. I don’t think there was any one episode in which all 21 cast members were in the building available to appear.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

When Bob Odenkirk hosts I'll watch.

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I don't disagree. But I usually find her average at best. I listened to her Fly on the Wall episode to see if there was something I was missing. Nope.

10. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

None taken...it's all subjective.

Hall Cat likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Do keep in mind that covid extra bodies and diversity criticism were some of the reasons the cast went over 20. I do wonder if they will limit who gets replaced simply for budgetary reasons.

I welcome Heidi in the cast, but find her appeal a bit more visual than comedic.

12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And yet probably her funniest last skit both were hilarious and emotional from this SNL cold open
    of her alien abduction character.

The words her character refers to her female parts is almost like comedy poetry.
    Just brilliant writing.

More pubic hair sticking out than a bearded hipster wearing an N95 mask.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s funnier than most of the SNL jokes of the last few years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

SNL has announced the new season will resume October 1.

At the Emmy Awards' press room, Lorne Michaels said there would be four new cast members this season.

Lorne Michaels says 'SNL' will add at least 4 new cast members this season

"There are four new people," Michaels teased. "At least for now."

Why did so many stars depart at the end of last season? Michaels chalked it up to the timey-wimey strangeness of the pandemic years.

"I think people might've left earlier, but there was no place to go, and also, we were used to doing it, and we were under pressure to do it," Michaels said. "It was difficult, particularly when you're rehearsing in masks and it's all protocols and there's nothing to do after the show except to go home. I think that there was just a bonding and I think people got very close. When we did those at-home shows, you got to see everyone's apartment and actually where they live and how they live. So there was an intimacy and a connection between the audience and this group. I couldn't imagine leaving work without that whole team, so we just kept going."

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves after this season. She joined in 2012 so 10th anniversary. Good time to part company.

I do like her too.

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And none have a very funny face. All generically youthful and pretty. Guess it's the trade off for a more modern society.

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

HA! Can’t believe I’m taking the bait…
    They really should cancel the dang thing, since that’s what is in such style and in now.
    They were once great and had amazing talent.. but since NBC / SNL has gone ultra fanatical left
    they’ve forgot how to laugh or be funny. Im going to stop because the gorts will probably censor me.
    Wouldn’t even surprise me if they get the a hole rust shooter to reprise his hideous role.
    The show had been on LAST legs for years - Like milking a dry dead cow..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Let me guess...the show hasn't been funny since November 7, 2015, correct?

GLUDFSSR, Shawn, OldSoul and 2 others like this.