Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn’t see a dedicated thread on this yet (point me to it if you can find one). The new Neil Young/Crazy Horse album is produced by Rick Rubin and will be called World Record. CD, LP, and clear vinyl variants.

Songs include “Break The Train” and “Chevrolet”.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Komakino___, DocShipe, ARK and 39 others like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This thread is the first, and THANK YOU !!!

Jam757, ARK, Rockford & Roll and 6 others like this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

What no CD/LP/Blu-Ray deluxe edition? :D

That is great news, thanks!

Swansong likes this.
  4. PES

PES Forum Resident

Hmm... does this delay any more archival releases for 20-22?

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Link?

MikaelaArsenault and noname74 like this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Based on Neil’s release schedule over the past several years, I don’t see why it would. :laugh:

tug_of_war, ARK, Swansong and 8 others like this.
  8. jlf

None yet. Just sending out the news. ;)

qtrules and DaveJ like this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Rubin's "production" is likely him laying in the floor while Neil tells him what he wants done.

Always look forward to new NY&CH.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The stories I’m finding are calling this an “as-yet untitled” album. I like World Record though. Is there a source for this title?

Skylarkblue, ExHead and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I’m really not sure what any producer particularly brings to the table on a Neil Young record anymore. I’m not even sure either one of them gets any real cachet from putting the other’s name on something. This feels like they just kind of wanted to work together, right?

I guess we’ll find out. Any new NY&CH album is a pre-order for me.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Will be interesting to see if Neil's desire for sound quality will beat out Rubin's need to brick wall everything.

13. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

This gives me hope. The quality control really nosedived after Briggs died.

14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Bring it on.

I don’t expect a Johnny Cash style revival as Neil is already too creatively vital, but Rubin could potentially help triage quality control and completion in a positive way,

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Hit the "watch thread" button so fast that my keyboard is still smoking.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A legitimate question. I am always happy to support a new Neil Young record, but as a fan, I am much more interested in his archival releases at this point and do not want new product to delay releases from the vault. Still, I am hopeful he has one more real good new album left in him, and maybe this will be the one.

17. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Very cool …and as a fan too, I am far more interested in new material he might create than versions of stuff we already have (unless he has a Chrome Dreams III hidden away).

Different strokes and all that.

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I feel the opposite… I already have enough archive stuff, and most of it just ends up being different versions of the same songs. Give me new songs.

Keam, Marv Headroom, ARK and 8 others like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The last Archives box included several new songs.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, there are sometimes unreleased songs in the archive releases. And I do sometimes buy the archive releases. But I’d still rather have new songs, as in created by Neil in our current time.

However, it doesn’t seem like he’s making us choose one or the other. The guy seems willing to put a record out every other month, if he’s allowed to. :laugh:

ARK, Twinge Crispy, Swansong and 5 others like this.
  21. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I’m interested in a new album or archival release from Neil. I’m glad he’s managing to mine two veins with such a well realized archival project and continuing to record new material that he cares about.

Honestly, the releases I’ve enjoyed the most over the last several years have tended to been from the archival end. Hitchhiker, Homegrown, Tuscaloosa, Roxy, Toast, and especially Rust Bucket have been such an incredible joy.

A lot of bands/artists that I love haven’t managed to record half that number of albums of great material.

On the new studio album front, I’ve felt that it’s been much more hit or miss… but that being said, there have been gems in there like Welcome Back, that make a record at least worth the price of admission.

I’m a physical album person… and I’ll say I’ve completely shifted to cds, just because it’s so much more affordable than vinyl.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I can appreciate that, but I would rather hear Neil during his creative peak.

23. jlf

No link but the source is legit.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I typically would, too, on a given day, but I already have a lot of records of that. I’m still more likely to play Zuma or After the Gold Rush than any of the archive releases, and I think that, for the most part, the best stuff was what got released during those periods.

I’m again not saying he should stop releasing archive stuff to focus on new music. He seems capable of doing both. But, for me, a new album is a no-question pre-order, while I’m more selective with archive purchases. I’m OK just streaming some of those.

CCrider92 likes this.
  25. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Go Neil!

ARK, Skylarkblue, tug_of_war and 6 others like this.