Thinking about......Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man, what a great guy, what a voice.

His 70s performances are so great. He still knows today how to perform exciting concerts.

But in the 70s his music was absolutely perfect. All of his albums there had great messages, great melodies and great voice.

I can hear his albums lots of hours without being bored.

I think , still in hundred years when we all are gone and forgotten, his voice lives on.

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976 Full Album ) – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | николай жарков

Songs in the key of life

His greatest work. How amazing to listen to. Came out as double album.

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions | 1973 | full album – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | ирина миллер

Inner visions 1973

Stevie Wonder-Music of My Mind [Full Album] 1972 – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | Владимир Промский

Music of my mind 1972

An " early" album of " new" Stevie.
    No big hit on it, but exciting.
    -------

This is his most controversial work.

Stevie Wonder Secret Life of Plants Full LP 1979 – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | NO MERCY

Secret life of plants [ 2 album 1979]

Some they is great art , but I really don't like this album. For me thats his weakest work ever. Why did he record this album?
    I have no idea.... I think he himself had no fun to record it .

Stevie Wonder Hotter Than July ( Full Album ) – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | Владимир Промский

The next album with some great hit records on it. Stevie was really back!!

And now, Stevie didn't give up making music. If there is a chance to go to one of this concerts... do it.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Innervisions' remains my favourite Wonder album and he had some incredible singles.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think as time has gone on, he’s become highly and unjustly overlooked. His seventies albums, all of which I have, contain some of the greatest songwriting (and studio work) of the decade. Incredibly talented individual.

SG47, ARK, Michael Macrone and 15 others like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

How can you leave out Talking Book???

SG47, ARK, WMTC and 15 others like this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Don’t forget Talking Book or Fulfillingness First Finale. Both were in the great album run in the 70s and early 80s. And side 3 of Secret Life of Plants is superb. I’ve been lucky enough to see him twice, once at his peak back in the day.

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

That run from Music of my Mind through Songs in the Key of Life is masterful.

Crimson Witch, ARK, CliffL and 16 others like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

His cover of 'We Can Work It Out' is among my favourite Beatles covers.
    " Hey!"

sotosound, Curiosity, WMTC and 11 others like this.
  8. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While the music he's made this century doesn't resonate with fans, it's still Stevie Wonder! Any record will have "nuggets" of brilliance. It's incredible and heartbreaking that the last official SW record was 2005's A Time To Love. I remember reading when it was released how Stevie was frustrated how his tune; What The Fuss, wasn't a hit for him. We're living in different times, as this tune rates right up there with his other funk-filled classics. The reason it's heartbreaking is Stevies output since 2005 has dwindled to nothing. Stevie has always been a studio-Hound, do you think he might have some "nuggets" in the vault? My guess is that he's got a coupla albums worth!;)

10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

His work from 1972-1976 + 1980 is unbeatable.
    Nearly every single musician from the seventies throughout the late eighties was influenced by him. And that includes Lennon and McCartney, Bowie, Elton, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, The Beach Boys, George Michael, Bee Gees, Madonna, Yes, Prince, Whitney… You name them!
    Stevie Wonder redefined music, blending soul with pop, funk, jazz & electronica.
    No doubt Stevie was influenced by many musicians before him as well, including Ray Charles.
    Even ‘modern’ artists like Jamiroquai and Daft Punk has Stevie’s styles and melodies imprinted in their DNA.
    An incredible musician. His talent is so acknowledged by all people that there is a tendency to ‘forget’ him. He has always been part of the scene.

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"The Secret Life of Plants" was the Soundtrack to a movie.

So it was a different genre... was never going to "fit in" with his other work.

12. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I said this in another thread about Stevie Wonder, but I'll say it again:

"How come there's no live 70s album?"

There have got to be some great live performances from the peak of his greatness, no?

ARK, Dred, Kieran White and 7 others like this.
  13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

All though I don’t remember which album Paul Simon won the Grammy for Album of the Year. Around this same time. But, I remember the first words out of his mouth as he accepted the Grammy. “I’d like to thank Stevie Wonder for not releasing an album this year!”

ronm, ARK, BeatlesBop and 9 others like this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

That was for 'Still Crazy After All These Years'.

Jarleboy and 905 like this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I absolutely love everything he did from For Once In My Life (1968) to The Secret Life Of Plants (1979).

An amazing sequence of albums imo!

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, if I recall right Innervisions beat Paul's previous album Rhymin' Simon for the Grammy.

17. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I'm just starting to get into him. Innervisions is an incredible album. It's the only one I know so far....

18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Makes entire masterpiece albums as a one-man band, countless hits for decades - all done while blind - can play tons of instruments, sings amazingly - huge influence - at times, great lyricist. Stevie Wonder is so likable on top of it all - he's just unbelievable. Saw him close a tour recently at MSG - broke the curfew and played til almost 1 am - about 4 hours!!! Performed all of Songs in the Key of Life including the ep plus more hit singles, plus guests - maybe my favorite concert I've been to.

Vic_1957, Tord, RickH and 6 others like this.
  19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wish those days could come back once more
    Why did those days ever have to go?
    'Cause I love them so

21. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

ARK, BeatlesBop, CliffL and 4 others like this.
  22. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Arguably the most talented musician of the rock and roll era. Either him or Prince, IMO.

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, I streamed this Album(Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants) about 2 years ago. Loved it and then bought the earliest version on CD in NM Condition from a Seller on Discogs. The CD sounds great. I like playing it listening with my Headphones relaxing before going to sleep. It is a case where I enjoy the Album in one complete listen as a whole.

Looking at the year of its original release and coming a few years after what I consider SW’s Masterpiece Album-SITKOL, I can see how one might compare Fleetwood Mac releasing a less hit songs oriented Album in ‘Tusk’ after their Big Release, ‘Rumours’(although from what I have read, ‘Tusk’ still sold a decent number for a Double Album, but just was less compared to a Mega Selling Album in ‘Rumours’).

What an incredible run of Albums from SW at the time, but I also like most of SW’s Post 1980s Albums(just cannot stand the Song, ‘I Just Called to Say I Love You’).

24. STILLS

STILLS Forum Resident

ARK, Biscuit Warehouse, Murph and 2 others like this.
  25. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

i wasn't gonna be the one to bring that thought up :D

Letterman had some intro sketch mocking NBC shows, one was for next week's Pranks and Bloopers with a Stevie Wonder segment

"what is this great prank, the light is green, Stevie?"