Movies released pre-2000 with more than 1 version available

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Oct 4, 2022.

1. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

I concede maybe I think too much about movies, but I was endeavouring to think about how many movies I've run across •or• know of that have at least 2 versions available. Movies released to theaters or video prior to 2000 where another version or two (or more) have since surfaced. There's quite a lot of them; I'll list the movies I know of but I'm sure I'll miss a bunch of titles, too, so anyone with knowledge of films with more than 2 versions extant please add them. Always good to learn something. :righton:

(P.S. I did want to mention it's only movies where the extra footage has been incorporated back in to the film as opposed to being "bonus footage" on a disc. For instance, I've got a disc of "The Howling" with several minutes worth of extra footage not used in the theatrical release, but it's not incorporated back in to the film so I don't count "The Howling" as having any more than 1 version. Same with JAWS. I've got a 2-Tape set of JAWS I bought years ago with loads of bonus features on 'Tape 2', however, the film itself is the same without any additions. I'm not aware of any version extant of JAWS where any previously excised footage was added back in to the film -- but if there is please make a post and let me know. I'd like to buy a version of JAWS with footage put back if there is such a thing. [Same with THE HOWLING]).

POSSESSION OF VIRGINIA, The (1972-French/Canadian). Filmed in Montreal. (Aka: "Le diable parmi nous").

SHIVERS (1975-Canadian) Ever seen the Canadian Tv print of "Shivers"?
    BROOD, The (1979-Canadian)

LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE, The (1976-Canadian)

SQUIRM (1976-Slimy Horror) The DVD version adds back the small amount of footage cut to earn "Squirm" a [PG]-rating so the disc is 'Unrated', I believe. The Vestron Video tape was [PG], tho.

DEATH WEEKEND (1976-Canadian) (Aka: "House by the Lake").

RITUALS (1976-Canadian)

HUMONGOUS (1981-Canadian) The opening rape scene is shortened in the U.S. version; the Canadian ASTRAL VIDEO version is complete.

STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, A (1951-Drama)
    CARRIE (1952)
    STRANGE ONE, The (1957)
    GOD'S LITTLE ACRE (1958)

PUBLIC ENEMY, The (1932)

ALAMO, The (1960-Historical Western of sorts . . . ).
    IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1963-Comedy)
    CHAIRMAN, The (1969)
    EYE OF THE CAT (1969-Suspense) The Blu-Ray has the theatrical & 'TV Version's of the film.
    STRAWBERRY STATEMENT, The (1970)
    SCREAMS OF A WINTER NIGHT (1979-Horror) Filmed in Louisiana
    FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (1982) I believe one digital release includes the TV version.
    EYES OF FIRE (1983) When America was young and the secret of the early Spirits were living in the trees!

STAR TREK: The Motion Picture (1979) There's 3 versions I know of.

STAR TREK 2: The Wrath of Khan (1982) There's 2 versions I'm aware of.

RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) Roadshow Version versus wide-release 'regular' theatrical version.
    REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT (1962) The Columbia VHS is different from the DVD.
    SAND PEBBLES, The (1966) Roadshow Version versus 'regular' theatrical version.
    SECONDS (1966) The overseas version was released on VHS by Paramount; has nudity.
    MAN WHO HAD POWER OVER WOMEN, The (1970-UK) Magnetic Video version was the Tv print; the later Embassy VHS release was the proper theatrical version (with nudity a few cuss words).
    DEVILS, The (1971-UK) There's at least 2 versions of "The Devils" -- maybe three.
    SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA, The (1973-UK)
    SEIZURE (1974-Canadian) (aka: "Queen of Evil", which runs 4 minutes longer).
    SEX SYMBOL, The (1974) U.S. Tvm/Overseas Theatrical Release has a bunch of dirty stuff!
    NIGHTMARE IN BADHAM COUNTY (1976) U.S. Tvm/Overseas Theatrical version loaded with sleaze.

TEACHER, The (1974) The 'EP' video release from 'Sterling Entertainment' omits a phone call.

WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974) 99 minutes. Laurence Harvey's last film; he died Nov. 25, 1973. Beware of the shortened version running 85m! Re-titled "Tender Flesh".

OLD CURIOSITY SHOP, The (1975-UK/Musical) Orig. British version: 114m. U.S. version: 91m.

POOR PRETTY EDDIE (1975) (Aka: "Heartbreak Hotel"/"Redneck County Rape"). Pick a version!
    EAST END HUSTLE (1976-Canadian)
    SHOOTIST, The (1976-Western) The later W/S Paramount VHS release is missing about 5 seconds.
    MAYDAY AT 40,000 FEET (1976-Tvm) Overseas version has a wee bit of toplessness.
    GRIFFIN AND PHOENIX: A Love Story (1976-Tvm) Overseas version has a topless scene.
    SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME! (1978-Tvm)
    CINDERELLA (1977-Softcore Adult Comedy)
    DEEP, The (1977)
    HARD KNOCKS/ MID-NIGHT RIDER (1979) Two different versions.
    SCREAMS OF A WINTER NIGHT (1979) NOTE the Blu-Ray disc includes a long-lost segment involving a tree witch that changes the run time from 90 minutes to 125 minutes. (I need to buy that disc).

MARK OF THE WITCH (1970) The original 'GP' version was issued on VHS; the movie was later released on DVD with a bit of excised [R]-rated footage restored. I bought both versions.

SWARM, The (1978) Theatrical version released in 1978 runs 116 minutes; the 1992 'Expanded Version' runs 155 minutes and seems shorter because the theatrical release had such cho/ppy continuity. Not a good movie, anyway, but the theatrical version is worse than the longer 'cut' Irwin Allen had intended to release back in '78.

WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . (1980) The U.S. WARNER Home Video VHS release runs 141 minutes; the DVD release only runs 109 minutes. The DVD from Warner was the shortened overseas theatrical cut while the VHS release from Warner in the U.S. was an expanded version with television-only scenes included . . . so you get a large difference in the run time!

SHINING, The (1980) → The overseas theatrical version was cut down by 25 minutes compared to the U.S. theatrical version. 144 minutes versus 119 minutes.
    ALLIGATOR (1980)
    FRIDAY THE 13th (1980)
    MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981-Canadian)
    ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979)
    APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
    NEW YORK, NEW YORK (1977-Musical) 3 versions? Or 4?
    TEXASVILLE (1990) The LaserDisc version contains a longer cut of the movie.
    SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT (1986) Spike Lee's 1st movie; LD version is longer.
    DOGS OF WAR, The (1980)
    FUNHOUSE, The (1981) The "Tv version" of "The Funhouse", I think, was issued on DVD as a bonus feature.
    ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981-Action)
    ONE FROM THE HEART (1982-Stylized Romantic Fantasy)
    OUTSIDERS, The (1983•Coming-of-age Drama)
    BLOOD SIMPLE (1984) 2 versions of "Blood Simple" are extant.
    THIEF OF HEARTS (1984-Sexual Thriller)
    DUNE (1984)
    RE-ANIMATOR (1985-Horror/Dark Comedy)
    BIG (1988-Comedy)
    CELLAR, The (1989-Horror)
    SEA OF LOVE (1989)
    SONNY BOY (1990) The UK version of this film is positively deranged; the U.S. version was watered-down for content.
    DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990)
    BASIC INSTINCT (1992) The old 'Carolco' Red Box VHS release was uncut.
    WYATT EARP (1994)
    CRIMSON TIDE (1995) 115m. The 2008 DVD release was expanded to 123 minutes.
    JADE (1995) Paramount released 2 versions of "Jade" on VHS. In Green boxes, of course.

that thing you do! (1996) The 'Director's Cut' is much longer.

FORTRESS (1992) Overseas theatrical version had a bit more violence than the U.S. 'cut'.

STAR WARS (1977) I lost track of how many versions of "Star Wars" exist. 6 or 7? Maybe 8?
    BLADE RUNNER (1982) I lost track of how many versions exist of 'Blade Runner', too. 7 versions?

----------------------------

There are also a number of films with different "TV versions", but I'm not sure if these particular TV versions were ever released on any homevideo medium? (What happened with ALLIGATOR (1980) is very unusual. The 1983 Catalina Home Video VHS release was the Television version instead of the theatrical print and runs about 8 minutes longer. 92 minutes versus 100 minutes. The 1986 Lightning Video release was the theatrical version of "Alligator". → I believe the Blu-Ray disc of "Alligator", which was recently released, contains *both* versions of the film).

Anyway, here are some TV versions of some movies I've seen that aren't simply 'edited for content' -- there's alternate footage added: MURDER BY DEATH, BLAZING SADDLES, QUICK CHANGE, AIRPLANE II, FAR & AWAY, BORN IN EAST L.A., CAR WASH (the TV version of "Car Wash" is a lot different!), DIARY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE, SO FINE and who knows how many more Tv versions there are of various films that I don't know of. Maybe SUMMER RENTAL (1985) had a TV version with more footage; it's not a long movie so it's possible there was footage added for a 2-hour television time slot).

→ I'm sure I've missed a bunch of movies that have more than 1 version, but I figured listing these titles was a start. :)

I only have one version of STAR WARS: The 1982-issue '20th Century Fox Video' VHS tape. I believe that is the most "un-messed-with" version of STAR WARS there is. I think . . . o_O

All posts and fresh titles welcome. :-popcorn:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Moonbeam Skies, Claude and Shawn like this.
  2. 64FALCON

I thought of a few more titles there is more than one version of for your viewing enjoyment. Or something . . . :cheers:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977-Sci•Fi)
    NIGHTWISH (1989-Sci•Fi/Horror) [R]-rated version runs 89 minutes/Unrated version runs 97m.
    DEAD ALIVE (the Peter Jackson movie) 3 versions
    WHORE (1991) 2 versions at least; maybe 3.
    BAD LIEUTENANT with Harvey Keitel.
    SHOWGIRLS (1995)
    HEAVENLY CREATURES (1994) VHS runs 99m. / one of the DVD versions runs 108m.
    PLAY NICE (1992) Rated/Unrated (VIDMARK)
    DEAD ON (1993) Rated/Unrated (ORION Home Video)
    IN THE HEAT OF PASSION (1992) Rated/Unrated (Columbia)
    SPERMULA (1976-French) The 2 versions of this film are nothing alike.
    INSEMINOID/HORROR PLANET -- "Horror Planet" is an edited version of "Inseminoid" from what I've gathered.
    SATAN'S SLAVE (1976-UK) A Norman J. Warren film. Lots of sleazy fun.
    KISS ME DEADLY (1955) One version has a different ending than the other; otherwise they're the same film until the last minute.

Shawn likes this.
  3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The Big Sleep (1945 / 1946) - 2 versions.

- Kevin

64FALCON likes this.
  4. 64FALCON

Good one! :righton:

5. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Brazil (1985) 3 versions
    Rock & Rule (1983) American and Canadian versions.
    Witchfinder General (1968) (aka: Conquerer Worm) 2 versions

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    jupiter8 and 64FALCON like this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

John Cassavettes' THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

The film's original release, at 135 minutes in length, was a commercial disappointment and the film was pulled from distribution after only seven days. At a May 17, 2008, George Eastman House screening in Rochester, Gazzara said he "hated" the original cut; "it's too long", he had told Cassavetes.

Eventually, Cassavetes decided to re-edit the film, and it was re-released in 1978 in a new 108-minute cut. The 1978 version is the one that has been in general release since that time, though both versions of the film were issued in The Criterion Collection's John Cassavetes: Five Films box set, marking the first appearance of the 1976 version since its original release.

True to Cassavetes' form, the 108-minute version is not just a simple edit of the 135-minute version. The order of several scenes has been changed, there are different edits of a few scenes, and there are a few segments unique to the 108-minute version. The bulk of the cutting in the 1978 version removed many of the nightclub routines that were in the 1976 version.

64FALCON likes this.
  7. 64FALCON

:thumbsup: Thanks for adding those 3 titles + the info on "Killing of a Chinese Bookie".

Here's one that has 3 different versions or more:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (1984) Sergio Leone's last film.

JediJones, Prophetzong and jwoverho like this.
  8. 64FALCON

SHIVERS, the 1975 David Cronenberg movie, ran 87 minutes upon its theatrical release. The U.S. Vestron Video release under the title "They Came From Within" was the theatrical version with the American title. I think Anchor Bay released "Shivers" in the 1990s under its proper Canadian title, too. However . . .

For some inexplicable reason a Canadian Tv print of SHIVERS was given to the Canadian ASTRAL VIDEO label to release instead of the 'regular' theatrical version. ASTRAL issued "Shivers" on tape in a large, narrow elongated clamshell case with insert artwork and there is no indication anywhere on the sleeve art or the videocassette label that this is the television version. But it is. I have the Astral tape and I timed it -- 75 minutes versus 87 minutes -- despite the sleeve art stating the proper theatrical run time on the back. When I first watched the Astral tape the cuts for content came fast and furious at the beginning when the crazy doctor/professor tries to get the 'worm' out of Annabelle Brown. If there are any Canadian video connoisseurs on here and you have the Astral tape of "Shivers" check it out and you'll notice right away the missing 'stuff'.

The TV version on the Astral tape contains no alternate footage -- there's just a LOT of "objectionable", non-Tv-friendly content removed. Lynn Lowry's "everything is sexual" speech near the end is edited down, for one, and there is of course no explicit violence and no nudity and that's why I listed SHIVERS on the opening post.

And THE BROOD, too. ASTRAL was given an edited version of "The Brood" as well. I don't think it was a TV print, but apparently, some Canadian Provinces in the '70s had more strict content laws than others and it is possible the print of the "The Brood" given to Astral came from a Province where the content standards were stricter. Otherwise, I cannot explain it.

Some of the prints given to Astral were rather head scratching.

HUMONGOUS (1981-Canadian) was released by Astral un-cut with the rape scene intact at the beginning compared to the U.S. version on Embassy where the rape scene was shortened. That was the one difference I noted between the Canadian and U.S. 'cuts' of the film.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  9. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

Dawn of the Dead (1978) was the first one I thought of. There’s the theatrical cut (126 min.), Dario Argento’s version titled “Zombi” (119 min.) and the extended director’s cut (139 min.)

10. jwoverho

Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900

From Wikipedia:

The original director's cut of the film runs 317 minutes (5 hours, 17 minutes) and was released in two parts in Italy.[8] Alberto Grimaldi, the film's producer, was contractually obligated to deliver a 195-minute (3 hour, 15 minute) version to Paramount Pictures for release in the United States and Canada. Bertolucci originally wanted to release the film in two parts, but, on Grimaldi's refusal, 20th Century Fox picked up distribution in the United States, dropping out only when Bertolucci declined to shorten the film by 80 minutes.[8]

Grimaldi then locked Bertolucci out of the editing room and assembled a 180-minute cut. Bertolucci, horrified at Grimaldi's cut, decided to compromise.[9] His 247-minute (4 hour, 7 minute) version was the one initially released in the United States. In 1987, the Bravo channel broadcast the uncut version with English-dubbed dialogue. Later in 1991, the film was restored to its original length and shown in a limited release. The film has been shown uncut on Sky Movies and Film 4.

When Bertolucci released his 317-minute version to theaters, the Motion Picture Association of America re-classified the film with an NC-17 rating; the 245-minute American cut, the other version officially available on video in the United States, still retained its R rating. In 2006, Paramount surrendered the NC-17 rating of the uncut version, then released it as unrated on DVD on 5 December 2006. This same uncut version was released on Blu-ray Disc in the U.S. by Olive Films on 15 May 2012.

64FALCON likes this.
  11. jwoverho

Sam Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID

From Wikipedia:

By the time that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid was in the editing room, Peckinpah's relationship with the studio and his own producers had reached the breaking point. Peckinpah's first cut was 165 minutes.[9] Aubrey, enraged by the cost and production overruns, demanded an unrealistic release date for the film.[9] Peckinpah and his editors, given only three weeks,[9] were forced into a desperate situation in order to finish editing on time. Furthermore, Aubrey still objected to several sequences in the film which he wanted removed, forcing Peckinpah to engage in protracted negotiations over the film's content. Adding to the problems, Bob Dylan had never done a feature film score and Peckinpah's usual composer, Jerry Fielding, was unhappy with being relegated to a minor role in the scoring process.

Peckinpah did complete a preview version of the film at 124 minutes, which was shown to critics on at least one occasion. Martin Scorsese had just made Mean Streets (1973) and was at the screening, and he praised the film as Peckinpah's greatest since The Wild Bunch. This version, however, would not see the light of day for over ten years. Peckinpah was eventually forced out of the production, and Aubrey had the film severely cut from 124 to 106 minutes, resulting in the film being released as a truncated version largely disowned by cast and crew members. This version was a box-office failure, grossing $8 million domestically,[1] of which the studio earned only $2.7 million in theatrical rentals,[10] against a budget of more than $4.6 million. However, the film grossed a total of $11 million worldwide.[1]

In 1988, Turner Home Entertainment, with distribution by MGM, released Peckinpah's preview version of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid on video and Laserdisc. This version led to a rediscovery and reevaluation of the film, with many critics praising it as a lost masterpiece and proof of Peckinpah's vision as a filmmaker at this time. The film's reputation has grown substantially since this version was released, and the film has come to be regarded as something of a modern classic, equal in many ways to Peckinpah's earlier films.[19] Kristofferson noted in an interview, though, that Peckinpah had felt that Dylan had been pushed on him by the studio and thus left "Knocking on Heaven's Door" out of the preview version. In Kristofferson's opinion, "Heaven's Door" "was the strongest use of music that I had ever seen in a film. Unfortunately Sam…had a blind spot there."[20]

In 2005, a DVD of the film distributed by Warner Bros. was released containing the preview version as well as a new special edition which combined elements of the theatrical version, the preview version, and several new scenes never released in the previous versions. This third version of the film, known as the "special edition", runs slightly shorter than the preview version.[21]
    ----------------------------

Re: "Knocking On Heaven's Door"

The sequence Kristofferson talks about with Slim Pickens and Katy Jurado by the river is one of Sam's most moving and beautiful scenes.

mBen989, unclefred and 64FALCON like this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

13. 64FALCON

I noted "1900" is quite the long movie . . .you might need some 'No-Doz' to watch all 317 minutes at one time!

I thought of another movie with several versions. The director of this film recently passed on. It's DAS BOOT (1981-German). There's different cuts and German and English-language versions for your viewing selection.

ALSO: Along with PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID two other Sam Peckinpah movies besides have different versions: THE WILD BUNCH (1969-Western) and MAJOR DUNDEE (1965).

jwoverho likes this.
  14. jwoverho

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It's to fight the terrorists hippies!

64FALCON and jwoverho like this.
  16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Dang, will have to find that Bluray too. As far as The Cellar, I sat in a practically empty theater with Kevin Tenney as he talked about uncovering the uncut version in his garage and proceeded to play it. Pretty good movie, I like the fact the father was the wuss for a change.

A lot of European horror got cutdown so there are many versions. In my collection I have 3 versions of Phenomena and 2 versions of House that Screamed (a favorite.) Then if you think about it Lisa and the Devil and House of Exorcism are 2 very different versions of the same movie.

Probably my favorite 2 version film is the pre-code Baby Face in 1933. The weak sanitized version was all that existed until the pre-release reels were found in Dayton Ohio, and I have managed to shock people with that film. In this scene the old man's message was somehow reversed into puritanical morality through an overdub in the censored version:

17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I seem to remember there being some differences between the theatrical and TV versions of 'Throw Momma From the Train'.

64FALCON likes this.
  18. 64FALCON

I expect you're right, Grand Ennui. There's so many movies with different Tv versions it's a task to keep track of them all.

The TV version of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT (1977) has 1 extra scene right after Jerry Reed is chasing after Fred the dog after Fred goes for a swim in the pond after eating the cheeseburger.

And then there's the very different Tv version of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, Part 3 (1983). I taped the Tv version of Part 3 at one time in the 1990s, but taped over it several years later. I shouldn't have done that, but I did. Ack! The Tv version of Part 3 had a LOT of overdubbing of Jackie Gleason's voice. And lots of footage was added for the television print to pad out the run time after all the content cuts were made. SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, Part 3 was about the dirtiest [PG]-movie you'll ever see. I think if it would've been released in mid-1984 it would've netted a brand new [PG-13]-rating. The scenes in the sex hotel with Gleason and Henry prowling around looking for the 'Enos Fish' was quite bawdy for a [PG]-rated film. And at the nudist camp as well.

The two TV versions I really regret not taping were AIRPLANE II and QUICK CHANGE. I saw them both on television many moons ago and foolishly did not tape them. I'd gladly buy the television versions of both films were they available.

I specifically remember 'Hugh Gillin, Jr.'s part as the 'Texan' in AIRPLANE II was mostly gone in the theatrical version -- he says "Howdy, girl" to a stewardess when boarding the plane and that's his only line, but the Tv print featured his character in some gags. One at the airport and the other on the plane. After watching the Tv version I thought the theatrical version was rather poorly edited because it cut out some funny stuff seen in the TV print -- the run time of AIRPLANE II was only 84 minutes or so and should've been longer.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. 64FALCON

Regarding SEA OF LOVE (1989) . . . the 2000 VHS release from 'Universal' with the 'Thriller' heading looks to be the pre-release version with Lorraine Bracco's name featured in the opening credits and her scenes intact. She is nowhere to be found in the theatrical version and is not credited. William Hickey as 'Frank Sr.' also has an extra scene in the 2000-release 'Thriller' version -- yet there is no indication on the video box or videocassette label that this is a different version of the film than the theatrical print. But it is!

20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Commando - (1985) - There was a Director's Cut released for this film adding additional violence/gore to the film that was initially cut out for its Theatrical release.

64FALCON likes this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition DVD

DVD Talk review:

jfeldt and 64FALCON like this.
  22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this counts as a different version, but Shane (1953) has been released with different aspect ratios. The Masters Of Cinema Blu-ray includes the move in:

-1.37:1
    -1.66:1
    -1.66:1 (optimized framing).

Shawn and 64FALCON like this.
  23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The 3rd version of T2 was probably hidden on the DVD because it's more of an interesting curiosity for fans, rather than being a proper "official" version of the film. I've only watched the 3rd version once, just to see the 2 unique scenes, and never bothered with it again. The 153-minute special edition is the definitive cut for me.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and we still do not have the original theatrical version I saw at the movies the day it was released...not on DVD or BD!
    maybe Criterion?

jwoverho and 64FALCON like this.
  25. 64FALCON

I reckon you'll have to haul out your aging early-'80s MGM VHS tape to see that version. I believe by 1988 the MGM VHS release was the longer "restored director's cut" at 123m. so it's only the early 1980s MGM tape that had the 'theatrical cut'.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022