House Of The Dragon Season One

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Seriously disagree with your seriousness.. I've enjoyed both.

Lonson and phantasmagoria like this.
  2. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

Lots of mixed opinions on here, but I thought it was ****ing marvellous. I'm a long-time reader, having read ASOIAF as it came out and long before it became a TV show - I'm not saying that to give me any sort of credibility or authority, just to make the point that I care about this stuff and it matters to me to see it done right.

I thought House of the Dragon nailed it. It could have gone wrong so easily, in so many ways, but it didn't - the actors were strong, the story was loyal-ish to the book (with a couple of big caveats) and it just worked really well, for me. I enjoyed every single minute of it. The only downside is having to wait until 2024 for a new series.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    SJP, tyrionbelike, EwaWoowa and 5 others like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Started watching this, seen the first two episodes, very bad lighting .. read the cinematographer says the problem is folk have to adjust their TV sets. Maybe it looks better on a superior screen, but game of thrones was just perfect on my plasma. Dunno .. but hopefully it gets better.. as is it’s just plain boring, badly lit scenes almost in shadow. Read it’s just been green lit to go for a second season this month. Was really looking forward to this show. As rating comparisons goes so far
    GOT 9/10 …HOD 4/10.

4. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Stick with it you’ll be rewarded

alexpop likes this.
  5. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Could it be low bitrate from streaming?

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Meh, it's a nothingburger compared to GoT, but the eye candy is good.

7. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I liked it, especially the ones with the younger Rhaenyra, who offered a counterweight to the overall doom and gloom nature of the show, but it's not on the level of the first four seasons of Game Of Thrones.

8. alexpop

Popular? Surprised they are making a second season. Compared to GOT, dull as dishwater.

9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

They look at the ratings meter, not the dull meter.

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I thought is was pretty lame. A few good scenes. I got serious about the GOT and read the books- they are prolix and stray from the narratives that move the story forward. I thought GOT improved once they got past the books, and worked on the story arc the little elf writer provided. I thought the guys who did The Expanse converted some of Martin (whatever)'s writing to the screen. I don't need to watch it again. I was bloated. A few good battle scenes. There is a Viking one that has some kick ass battle scenes-- based on a series of books where the protagonist gets kidnapped by Vikings and lead the way back to England. Good books, good tv series. If you need me to look it up, I will. Last Kingdom, Bernie Cornwall, respected writer of the genre. The TV series was solid.

11. alexpop

8.5 IMDb.
    That’s what sold it. Wasn’t expecting that particular high rating. Thought maybe 7.5. Nope .. way lower. Of course IMDb is owned by Amazon, nuff said.!

12. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

But House of Dragon is HBO. Rings of Power is Amazon.

nutsfortubes likes this.
  13. alexpop

Well hard going, did stick with it $30 dvd tried my best to get my moneys worth. After much fast forwarding the last two episodes were a little better.. like the guy with the eyepatch. 4 dvds ..2 episodes per disc. Too dark image ? Managed to fix my plasma had to change the setting after 10 years, was a little brighter. Plot, script, choice of actors not to my liking. Season 2, middle of 2024, think I’ll survive.

14. Bottjer713

Bottjer713 Forum Resident

Just binged it and enjoyed it immensely. Felt true to the Game of Thrones universe and had enough twists and turns to make it engrossing. The final episode was great and has me pining for season 2 already.

Curveboy, Rufus McDufus and Lonson like this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Are you suggesting that the "scores" on IMDB, which are an average of user reviews, are being curated to reflect commercial prejudices? This is not a "gotcha" type question; it is a real question that came to my mind after you mentioned who owned IMDB.

16. alexpop

Game Of Thrones ( complete series) gets a 9.2 IMDb rating. House Of The Dragon gets a 8.5, just for Season 1. HOTD s1 was way more popular than GOT S1… HOTD had 20 million viewers, so I guess somebody must have favoured it. I’m the suspicious type lol. But heck it wouldn’t be my IMDb rating.

17. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

IMDB says it's a 8.5 fan rating. Overrated by fans. My biggest complaint would be the casting of the characters as they aged. They replaced some but not all. The ones they didn't replace didn't appear to have aged at all. C'mon make up dept, what's up? Thank god one of the kids had a scar over his eye otherwise would have never have guessed who he was after they replaced him with an older actor. Maybe, next time give them all scars somewhere so we can keep track of who's who. Or maybe name tags (just kidding).

Rufus McDufus and GregM like this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally agree. Or here's an even better idea. They could have picked a time span for Season 1 where they didn't have to skip ahead two years between each episode. Write it so the audience becomes attached to the characters/actors with each successive episode and deliver an emotional payoff at the end like in S1 GOT when Ned Stark dies. Choose main characters in the first episode you're going to have in the final episode. That ship sailed in S1.

RockNRod likes this.
  19. Bottjer713

Bottjer713 Forum Resident

No one is watching House of Dragon in a vacuum. Their enjoyment (or lack of enjoyment) in watching HOD has all their fondness and nostalgia for Game of Thrones baked in and the high rating and criticisms reflect that. In my estimation, as long as the creators of HOD didn't completely drop the ball, they were sure to have a guaranteed hit on their hands. That said, I'm sure many agree with you that they did drop the ball so to speak. I agree with some of the critiques to a degree, but those things did not stop me from enjoying the return of a universe for a show I was absolutely addicted to.

RockNRod likes this.
  20. alexpop

Different aesthetics, but it was the opposite of satisfaction for me, same wrapping ..
    but it’s like comparing Loaded to Squeeze.

21. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I forget how long the book covers, but it is the history of the family, not a defined story arc like GoT.
    I enjoyed it, especially the later episodes. The casting.. yeah a bit weird at times, some replaced, some not.
    I'm in for more, not with the anticipation of GoT granted. The long lay-off won't help though.

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We did watch the season on HBO but got the 4K disc for Christmas. Gonna go back and rewatch it this time with a really good sound system to help the visuals. I liked the first season and hope it gets better on a second viewing.

23. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I'm sure I will continue with it but overall I was let down with S1. Can't quite put my finger on why, maybe not enough alpha males and humor. So S1 in summary; lot's of labor, lust (incest/same sex) and dragons.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Season 1 dvd cost $30, sold it for $11.

RockNRod likes this.
  25. tyrionbelike

tyrionbelike Member

I was a little concern on the writing as I have seen a lot of franchise deviate from original stories and theirs are poor written. But I like it so far. Great cliffhanger.

GeetarFreek likes this.