The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I just put the glue to suggested in my Amazon cart. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    (Honestly, at the moment, I'm slowly and successfully removing the glue from the lenticular cover. It's a much bigger picture when not attached to the box. I might just keep it unattached.

Downsampled likes this.
  2. Melissa17

Melissa17 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but D.J. Jerry Blavat, the Geator with the Heater, passed away in Philadelphia on January 20, 2023 at 82 years old. He was on the Monkees (episode Some Like it Lukewarm) back in 1968. He was an original dancer on Bandstand (no Dick Clark and/or American in the title at the time) and brought music to the masses from the 1950s to today on the radio & at his dance shows he hosted down the shore in Margate, NJ. End of an era for sure.

majorlance, 905, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thr "beapoke" email they sent me said they will not offer a refund

4. audiomixer

This is all so unethical it’s unbelievable!!!

seacliffe301 and Rfreeman like this.
  5. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Contact your cc company and tell them you would like to do a return.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. audiomixer

I remember buying tons of box sets from Popmarket years and years ago. If there was any problem whatsoever, they would ship out a new box and you could get the old one or give it away. I did that about three times as I can remember. That's the way it should be. This reflects so badly on Rhino.

rlp and Rfreeman like this.
  7. brucewayneofgotham

It is a different era.

JuanTCB and audiomixer like this.
  8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I have to wonder if the corporate-think in this case might be, "If we were to replace all those damaged sets, it would exhaust all the stock we have left. That's a lot of lost profit!"

seeknom and The Beave like this.
  9. audiomixer

I'm quite sure that's what they're thinking. But in reality, by most responses in this thread alone, people are happy to live with the defects. And I will to if I'm forced to.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It would have been wiser for them to have just said they have *found* leftover stock with minor manufacturing issues. No returns unless it's missing content. Then if you got one with a little issue, that was the gamble.

11. audiomixer

Absolutely! This backpedaling is not right.

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The more I read this thread, the more surprised - and grateful - I am that my set arrived undamaged.

8bitj, longdist01 and MarkTheShark like this.
  13. audiomixer

Congrats! No inner liner tears at all?

longdist01 likes this.
  14. audiomixer

This is post from 2016:

Widespread reports of damaged Blu-ray boxes and missing discs; Rhino's Hughes responds

What we know:

Looks like the boxes may be damaged during shipping. The weight of the 10 discs may be causing the sides of the box to rip when jostled from side to side during transport.

We hear you and we are working on a plan to make any damages right. Please be patient with us for the next couple of weeks while we work this out. We could stop shipments until we have a solution, but we feel getting the actual discs (yay!) into fans' hands is more important (after all the excruciating delays).

As always, I will keep you all up to date, but I do ask for your patience. In the meantime, grab the 33 1/3 disc and watch the "Edited Version" listed on the menu for a special treat...

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Nope. I get my share of damaged items via mail order (I'm looking at you, Amazon), but the stars really aligned when I ordered this set from Rhino.

longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  16. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

Genuine question: if one is not, in particular, a Monkees fan (I like the hits), how enjoyable is the TV show? Does it hold up as a comedy, or music show?

17. audiomixer

No.

majorlance and pocketcalculator like this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

By today’s standards the humor of the show might be considered dated and not up to the “standards” of what passes for TV comedy these days.

However, if you have a good understanding of 60’s Pop culture and social issues, the show is very fun and entertaining. It’s surprising how much the Monkees series got away with in its subversive, biting look at social norms during that time. They actually got a Vietnam War reference in over the heads of the television censors!

The music is some of the best 60’s Pop/Rock written and performed, and the majority of it still stands up. The show was just as popular during its 1980’s revival as it was in the 1960’s.

Watching the show today with an open mind and an understanding of 60’s Pop Culture and how revolutionary it was, The Monkees television series is just as entertaining today as it was back then.

supermd, Hall Cat, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  19. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Me too! I have had a great track record with this and the SDEs.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Andrew seems to be a pretty sensitive guy and the stuff gets to him sometimes. Which is understandable given the level of female dogging he's sometimes been subjected to. But he can hold his head high and take a lot of pride in what he's done for Monkees fans and music fans in general.

I mean, we have more outtakes than the entire original catalog. We know the exact date of the "fist through the wall" incident and exactly what went down. We know who played what on the majority of Monkees recording sessions. All of this is due to Andrew having the fan's passion, and being in the right place at the right time all those years ago.

In the grand scheme of things, some changes in the bonus material for the Blu-Ray set in between its announcement and release is minor!

21. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

When you compare it to sitcoms of the era and consider that the concept/format was pretty novel at the time, it holds up okay. I think your enjoyment of the show hinges on whether you like/identify with their personalities and the group dynamic. The hits are well represented but frankly the repetition of the songs gets to be a little much over the entire series. There are full episodes on youtube--watching one or two will be enough for you to decide if the show is for you or not.

pocketcalculator and longdist01 like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thankful and Grateful that they went through all effort and with Andrew Sandoval from original film elements for Deluxe Blu-Ray Boxset!

23. brucewayneofgotham

Perfectly stated
    He was Godsend for any Monkees fan

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Nail
    Nailed it!
    For a band like The Monkees to get ANYTHING other than a greatest hits cd is phenomenal imo when you consider how other “legitimate” bands have been treated. (And don’t get down on me for saying that, you know Exactly what I mean).In fact they’ve been treated on the Same Level as The Beatles, and in many cases, the sde’s have way surpassed The Beatles sde’s, and that’s saying something………..
    Now as a collector I do understand the frustration with imperfections and things not being perfect, but what is???
    Hasn’t EVERY BEATLES SDE been fraught with “problems”? You bet. Zeppelin???? Remember THAT DEBACLE????.
    And instead of outakes or unreleased songs, the faithful got “alternate” versions of songs……..

So, as I see it, this community is DAMNED FING LUCKY to have gotten what we’ve gotten.
    Box is ripped, yeah, BUT I GOT THE MONKEES IN HI DEF BLU RAY WITH TONS OF EXTRAS.
    I can’t and won’t complain.
    Or you could live in a world that the only thing you could get is a greatest hits cd. And that very well could have happened.

Beave

8bitj, Sammy Banderas, kouzie and 7 others like this.
  25. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Ad me to the list of Andrew Sandoval supporters here. ANY band would be lucky to have him in their corner.