Spinning Gold - film about Casablanca records (KISS, Donna Summer)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I just saw a poster, and just watched this new trailer for the film to be released in America March 31st called Spinning Gold about Neil Bogart's indie label Casablanca Records, home of Donna Summer, KISS, Giorgio Moroder, The Village People and others.

There is some interesting stunt casting, like Wiz Khalifa as George Clinton.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Chris, looks interesting too!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

NEIL BOGART died a long time ago; in May 1982 at age 39.

I remember Casablanca Records very well.

Besides disco and pop music the label also signed country singer MAC DAVIS and he had some hits during his time recording for Casablanca. One of them was TEXAS IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR in 1981.

Running across a country 45' on Casablanca definitely wasn't the 'norm' for the label!

4. Chris DeVoe

Somebody named Bogart is one of the producers, I don't know if it is his son.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

Had many of their records.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Neil Bogart's obituary in the New York Times from May 9, 1982 said he died of cancer at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and left a wife, Joyce, and 4 children.

Danny Coffin and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the news on the film.
    I'll be sure to go see in cinema, or online if it only available that way!

A few years ago I read portions of Neil Bogart's association with WB records in Stan Cornyn's book, also Doug Brod recent book talks about Casablanca records signing of Kiss, and dealing with WB and eventually getting dropped.

Stan Cornyn book:

"Exploding"
    The Highs, Hits, Hype, Heroes and Hustlers of Warner Music Group (2003)

Doug Brod's book:

"They Just Seem A Little Weird" (2020)
    How Kiss, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith & Starzs Remade Rock And Roll

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  8. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Seek out “And Party Every Day : The Story of Casablanca Records” if you’re interested in Bogart. Available on Audible as well.

9. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Looks like Boogie Nights meets that Chess records movie from several years ago. It appears it will be a fun romp of movie that will probably take great liberties with storyline and facts.

10. Chris DeVoe

From what I've heard, the reality was ridiculous and bizarre enough that they don't have to rev it up at all.

Danny Coffin, GillyT and longdist01 like this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Being an old Kiss fan Casablanca has always been around for me. There's a video on YouTube where Kiss's first manager, Bill Aucoin goes into a bit of detail about Bogart and the label.

Looking forward to watching this.

Danny Coffin, 905, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s the one to read! The author was there from day one. Absolutely fascinating look inside Casablanca. All the ways they would rob Peter to pay Paul. Great fun if you bought a lot of music from 1974-1980. Casablanca put out an awful lot of music I listened to back then, my high school years. A must read for anyone even a little familiar with the label. Can’t wait to see the film, thanks Chris!

13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Very good soundalike recordings. I take it they couldn't license the originals from (I think) UMG?

Dan

14. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Me too. They were great days. The 70s really was a fantastically diverse era for music when you look back from today's perspective. So much of it has stood the test of time! Looking forward to this. :righton:

Danny Coffin, apesfan, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Seeing that Boardwalk Entertainment Group logo made me think of that Ringo Starr album..
    but, then I realized, both Joan Jett and Night Ranger were on that label, too!

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Even that trailer takes great liberties with story line and facts.

Is this a film about Casablanca Records? If so, then why include stuff related to Neil Bogart's previous label, Buddah?

The Isley Brothers were never signed to Casablanca. They weren't even signed to Buddah. Their own T-Neck Records had a distribution deal with Buddah for a time. While they had some success during that era (most notably the song featured in this trailer -- albeit in a re-recorded form -- "It's Your Thing"), their major hit making era began after the Isleys signed a deal with CBS.

I know that these pseudo biopics have been very popular lately, but I cannot think of one that I enjoyed in its entirety. When a film that's supposedly telling the story of an artist or group (or in this case, a record label) distorts the truth so much that I am repeatedly taken out of the story telling into thinking, "That isn't right," then the film fails for me.

17. Chris DeVoe

I presumed, based on the title, and it's mostly a biography of Neil Bogart. There's an actor listed who plays him as a child.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

19. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

While I appreciate movies like this they also propogate myths, half-truths, and just out and out made-up parts that people accept as truth.

20. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Spinning Gold The Official Soundtrack features vibrant new performances of pop classics from Buddah, Casablanca, and Motown Records that celebrate the storied career of record man Neil Bogart. Performed by today’s stars including Jason DeRulo, Wiz Khallifa, Ledisi, Jeremy Jordan, and introducing Tayla Parx, and more covering timeless classics from Donna Summer’s “Bad Girls” to Kiss’ “Beth.” The collection also includes two original tracks exclusive to the film, “Cherry on Top” and “Greatest Time.”

Side One

1. “Shout It Out Loud
    Performed by Sam Harris and Casey Likes

2. “Love To Love You Baby”
    Performed by Tayla Parx

3. “Cherry On Top”
    Performed by Jeremy Jordan

4. “It’s Your Thing”
    Performed by Jason Derulo

5. “One Toke Over The Line”
    Performed by Alec Benjamin

6. “Ain’t No Sunshine”
    Performed by Pink Sweat$

Side Two

7. “Midnight Train To Georgia”
    Performed by Ledisi

8. “Rock And Roll All Nite”
    Performed by Sam Harris and Casey Likes

9. “Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)”
    Performed by Wiz Khalifa

10. “Beth”
    Performed by Alex Gaskarth

11. “Bad Girls”
    Performed by Tayla Parx

12. “Last Dance”
    Performed by Jeremy Jordan and Tayla Parx

13. “Greatest Time”
    Performed by Jeremy Jordan and Cast

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh please. No one is going to want remakes of those tracks. Will labels ever learn!? And including Buddha, despite the observation made above (fair if one isn’t familiar with Neil’s career) is very relevant if you are. It helps clarify some of his actions at Casablanca. And why he thought he could get away with a lot of them. Which he did for a long time. But the fact they couldn’t even clear the licenses for the real music, or were too cheap to, makes me very dubious of the authenticity of this production. But Casablanca was a big soundtrack to my life, just behind RSO Records, that I’ll have to go see it. Luckily I know most of the real story already so I’ll just go to have some fun.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

Its cool that this is getting an actual theatrical release. Although the trailer itself does visually remind me of those VH1 biopics that they made back in the late 90s where it just looks like modern people playing dress-up. To be fair, its very difficult to recreate that era without it seeming like parody. I don't think Bohemian Rhapsody did a great job either with the 70s era either even with a substantially higher budget.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This movie was announced so long ago…crazy it even got made. Justin Timberlake was originally signed to play Bogart.

Danny Coffin likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

There was a mention of Kelly Rowland playing Donna in something and she really captured her essence in the picture posted! I seem to recall maybe it’s an upcoming Donna television biopic..

I’ll watch this when it hits streaming.

25. Chris DeVoe

It makes a lot of sense from the record company's perspective to make new tracks that they owned fully, with currently popular artists.