Connecting a (Technics) EQ to a modern receiver... possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jz1276, Mar 27, 2023.

1. jz1276

jz1276 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've had a Technics SH-GE70 in storage that was used in my system in the early 90's that I'd like to incorporate into my current system to control a turntable & CD player. Would there be a way to connect it using the Pre Outs or the Zone 2 Line Outs as the receiver obviously has no Tape / Tape Monitor inputs / outputs.
    The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-LX104. Here's a link to the receiver's manual:
    https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29403637_VSX-LX104_En_190226_web.pdf

Thanks guys.

2. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

An older EQ like that is a two-channel stereo device. You could connect the output of the CD player to the input of the EQ, then connect the output to the "Audio in" connector of the amp. The "on/off" or "bypass" button on the EQ could then be used to enable/disable it. As for the turntable, you would need to be using an external phono pre-amp to do the same thing. There's no convenient (conventional) way to connect it to that amp though.

3. apw2607

apw2607 Forum Resident

Yes, it’s possible but not with your receiver,

Unfortunately your zone output can’t output a different source to what the main amp is playing.

Many Av receivers are more flexible and allow the zone outputs to 1) be fixed and 2) use a different source input to what’s playing on the main. This effectively creates what was called a tape loop back in the day.

McLover likes this.
  4. jz1276

Thanks guys, so absolutely no way of rigging this EQ to get it working at all then ?

5. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

CD and Phono outs into 2>1 rca switch. RCA from the switch into EQ. RCA from EQ into Aux or CD input on receiver. Use switch to control source and Bypass on EQ when you want ‘clean’ signal. There are a few good quality RCA switches out there these days, eBay, Amazon etc.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. BostonBob

I'm not sure that connecting the turntable to the EQ before the phono pre-amp stage will yield good results since it hasn't yet been "corrected" by RIAA equalization or amplified up to "line level". Before purchasing a switch, I'd try it first without one (connecting the TT to the EQ input and then the EQ output to the amp) to see how it sounds.

7. terry toww

It literally says “…Phono out(s)”. Where else would the phono out be coming from other than a phono stage? (A seperate stage before the receiver amp). The line level going into the EQ will be exactly the same as the line level would be going into the aux input of the receiver.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  8. BostonBob

[​IMG]

Where do you see "phono out"? It looks to me like the phono amp is integrated inside the amplifier.

9. terry toww

A seperate stage before the receiver amp” ^

10. BostonBob

Is that supposed to be an answer?

11. terry toww

Why is this confusing? Take the signal from a TT>Phono stage and run it through a switch into EQ>Receiver. It’s pretty straight forward.

12. BostonBob

Yes, if he were using an external phono pre-amp that would be possible, I mentioned that in my first reply. However, he never stated that he was using one. He could use an A/B switch in that case, but the A/B switch would be the only way to switch between the CD player and TT.

13. terry toww

He asked if “…there was absolutely no way of rigging this EQ to get it working at all then?”
    Maybe read more than the first post on a thread. Bye-eee…

BrentB likes this.
  14. BostonBob

LOL

BrentB likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You shouldn't connect a turntable directly to an EQ(or switch) without a phono stage prior period. Not only would the signal be far too low, but the RIAA EQ would be missing. And if this was done and then plugged into the receivers phono section, you couldn't use the CD player. And on top of that, you would be adding a bunch of capacitance to the phono signal prior to phono EQ.

But the OP might have a built in phono pre on the turntable? That would be a great solution.

16. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Very nice EQ (SH-GE70). I got years of good service out of mine, hooked up to Marantz (PM50) and NAD (C372) integrateds. I considered whether it might work with newer gear, but ultimately decided against trying to do so. Possibly this will help: How To Hook Up a Graphic Equalizer To a Stereo Receiver

17. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

@jz1276 it depends on what you want to do and what your equipment has in terms of connections..."I'd like to incorporate into my current system to control a turntable & CD player..." You could connect the Line Out jacks from the Technics EQ unit into Audio In 1-4 (but NOT Phono!) jacks in the Pioneer AVR and then connect the analog/RCA outputs from your CD player into either the Line In or Tape Playback jacks and play CDs via the EQ, selecting "Source" or "Tape" depending on your hookup. If your turntable (TT) has a built-in phono preamp, you're in luck - you can connect the TT to the other input on the EQ unit. However, if you're TT doesn't have a phono preamp (if that's the case, you probably currently connect the TT to the Phono In jacks on the AVR) then you'll need an external phono preamp if you want to use the EQ unit with your TT.
    What TT, CD player, and/or anything else you want to connect to the AVR? Does your CD player have digital outputs?

BostonBob likes this.
  18. BostonBob

Good questions, because I believe that his EQ is similar to the old Technics EQ that I have lying around where the input source is switchable between "source" and "tape", which effectively makes it an A/B switch.

19. jz1276

You are correct. Connecting it up as you stated did not work having the EQ connected to the phono input on the receiver. I had to connect it to the CD input on receiver and use the turntables built in preamp.

BostonBob likes this.
  20. jz1276

All I'm looking to connect to the EQ is the turntable and CD player. Yes the turntable has a built-in preamp. The CD player does not have a digital output, only analog RCA's

21. jz1276

"Yes, it’s possible but not with your receiver" was the last post before I asked that question so yes I read more than the first post on the thread.

22. velo_TX

@jz1276 how are the connections going, are the results what you desired and expected? I'm figuring your intent of piping the vinyl and CD signals through the Technics EQ is to provide some control over tonality, making recordings more palatable to your ear. EQ can also tame some room acoustic situations; if this is your intent, then perhaps an upgrade to your AVR is in order. To name three companies predominant in the AVR scene, units from Denon and Marantz with their Audessey (and the Dirac option), and Yamaha with their YPAO can do a MUCH better job of taming room acoustics than what a graphic equalizer can do. A look at your Pioneer AVR manual shows it has MCACC; are you using it?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  23. jz1276

Right now it's in storage, going to set it up over the weekend. To be honest, I'm happy with the sound as is & basically looking to use the EQ for nostalgia as I just purchased the same CD player from eBay that I had in my audio system in the early 90's. I'm very happy with the Pioneer receiver. It has all the specific features I need and sounds very good to my ears, & it's only a couple of years old. And yes, I calibrated using MCACC.

velo_TX likes this.
  24. velo_TX

Good luck on the setup this weekend. You'll at least have a more flexible tone control, please do report back on your impressions!

25. harby

harby Forum Resident

This "zone output" is almost a slimy crime of deception. At best it is a rec-out that can be turned off, but doesn't avoid feedback. Of course, the receiver being released after Onkyo (acquired Pioneer AV in 2015) had filed for bankruptcy and Gibson dumping its shares, they must have known that there would be nobody to hold accountable, the Pioneer name only licensed from the Japanese Pioneer company (and now taken over through several holding shell companies of Voxx).

(Coming soon, my fraudulent "phono in" jack - but actually line-input, called that so you know where to connect a phono preamp.)

The Technics EQ, however, can allow one to connect two sources directly, as it has tape playback in and line in jacks, input selectable on its front panel. The turntable though cannot be connect there without an additional phono preamp. There is no EQing a turntable on that Technics or Pioneer without one, but the zone output can be used to light up the spectrum analyzer.

Cool story: I'll bet the 7-band digital equalizer IC in the Technics is the same as the Peavey Autograph II where two ICs are used for 28 bands mono.

-

Real Zone 2 and Zone 3 next to me here each have variable or fixed level, independent source control, and besides front panel control can be operated by remote control extenders and their own remotes (which can also use the extender to control the main room). Tape out is also a persistently-selected source, giving ridiculous send and return options for outboard devices (while 3-head tape monitor is simply selecting "tape").