Bob Dylan Album-by-Album/Song-by-Song 1963-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Komakino___, Apr 27, 2023.

1. To Ramona

Hard not to be seduced by this one. If I was making a twenty song Dylan playlist it would be a contender. The melody is naggingly familiar, it's come from somewhere either consciously or unconsciously, but it matters not. The intimate, conversational feel and the blind brilliance of the words combine to create a piece that can stop you in your tracks.

Ultimately the final two lines confirm it as a 'kiss off' song. Dylan rolls out a litany of reasons for why the relationship has to end. He treats her with great tenderness, holds real affection still, reminds her that the world will still turn round, even blames her friends, but there's no doubt where this is heading.

Inevitably Joan Baez has claimed this song to be about her. But hasn't Joan Baez, and her considerable ego, claimed that every Dylan love song from this period is about her? I've read elsewhere that a lesser known civil rights activist, who Dylan had a 'friendship' with, inspired the song. Just as likely that Ramona is a composite of a number of women in Dylan's life at that time, this tends to be how writers work.

Anyway, doesn't matter who inspired it, there's nothing about this that I'd change.

2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

:laugh:
    I really suspect there is more at play here.... Was it used in some other popular place (TV, movie, etc.?)
    I find it hard to fathom otherwise.

3. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

Everything passes
    Everything changes
    Just do what you think you should do

has there ever been anyone who can write an anti-love song like dylan? don't think twice, idiot wind etc. he has a certain genius for tenderly saying 'yeah....no'

4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Melody based on The Last Letter.
    Check out Waylon Jennings “Anita You’re Dreaming”

5. Yeah, definite resemblance.

6. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

To Ramona
    Very beautiful song, no controversial opinion from me this time.
    5/5

7. darth caedus

@Amnion will be disappointed

Lance LaSalle and Amnion like this.
  8. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

LOL. Usually not when I'm agreed with.....

9. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

Upon closer inspection, it becomes clear to me how "Another Side of Bob Dylan" is ultimately sorely underrated and mostly taken for granted in the grand scheme of things. Such a bold, courageous move to have it recorded in one go too.

"To Ramona" is a dazzling gem, enough said.

"Your magnetic movements
    Still capture the minutes I'm in"

10. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls... Thread Starter

To Ramona

A contender for best song on the album. I love this song and the sheer tenderness in the inflection, very glad the wine didn't seem to get to him too bad on this one as this performance doesn't seem dashed off like some others, my favourite line is actually:

I can see that your head

Has been twisted and fed

By worthless foam from the mouth

Very unique delivery and word choice is part of what makes Dylan a appealing to the ear song writer as many others would have chosen something far more pedestrian for that line over "worthless foam"

I am very partial to the Isle of wight performance of this one and I cracked open my Springtime in New York set today to listen to the rehearsal take of this (sadly not streaming/on youtube) and I quite like it, I thought it had a bit of a spanish twang about it which I liked, album version is still probably the "ultimate" reading of the song though.

If I had one slight it'd be that I do not think this one is as strong as "love" songs like one too many mornings from the previous album if I am being very critical.

I also can't say I am much of a fan of his latter day live renditions of this song as I don't quite think his knack for over extending song's works with this one nor does his latter day vocal as I think a more youthful touch is needed for this song in the vocal department.

Regardless 5/5

11. Komakino___

I very much agree with this record being underrated, I'd actually say it is probably the best and most listenable beginning to end of the early acoustic quadrilogy for me.

12. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

5/5 To Ramona

Beautiful. Through all his stylistic changes this is always a concert highlight, it's an indestructible tune.

That sounds most likely to me. "the South", and the references to being part of a movement, and especially criticizing her belief that "you’re better ’n no one and no one is better ’n you". In that way the message is challenging to me, but his words are very persuasive. This theme becomes clearer with the upcoming "My Back Pages".

13. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Excellent points. A contender for sure, probably front-runner. I also think the album version was never topped, and don't care for Isle of Wight (any of it).... that "voice" belongs on Nashville Skyline, a few on Self Portrait (the country covers are wonderful) but not (to me) on almost anything else from his repertoire. <Opinion>
    Funny how so many of his "love' songs are often sad, or at least wistful, in ways.

14. Komakino___

Opinion or not you and I are going to have a falling out around that time it seems mister.

15. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

LOL.
    Duly noted. Others too I suspect, but pretty boring if they're weren't some. I just hate seeing well-meaning people being wrong. :agree::laugh:

16. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

17. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Really like the Isle of Wight version.
    Very nice

18. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Won't bicker, but it's the "nice" I don't like. But I love the fact that many enjoy it. :tiphat:

19. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

"One Of Us Must Know".

20. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Love despite spite; spite in spite of love

an expert song and performance

5/5

21. Komakino___

Totally unrelated to the current topic but I thought I'd add to the conversation that the sun is indeed not yellow, it's chicken...

22. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Or Orange, in NYC yesterday. Nothing to do with orange cats.....

Komakino___ likes this.
  23. darth caedus

surely it has the definitive version like a rolling stone?

Komakino___ and Amnion like this.
  24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

[​IMG]

Komakino___ likes this.
  25. Komakino___

The only version of that song I like....