Discog sellers

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Psyren99, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Psyren99

Psyren99 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, wanted to know how long it took to get approved to sell on discogs. I knew there was a waiting period but I've been waiting a couple weeks now.

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

No one outside of Discogs seems to know. See this thread.

3. Psyren99

Thanks

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sort of a related question, but if I wanted to get my library into the system, is there a bar code reader that I can integrate into the iPhone app that will shorten the search process? I know that I'll still need to enter estimated condition, but that takes seconds in most cases.

5. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Most of the coolest records never had bar codes

p147 and Vejgaard666 like this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you use the Discogs app (which sucks so I personally wouldn't) it will use your phones camera to read the bar codes.

If you use the website, you'll need a USB bar code reader. They are fairly cheaper on Amazon and if you have a Windows machine it'll come configured out the box for windows.

If you have a Mac you will need to make sure it can be configured for Mac use which, for mine, entailed me scanning a bar code. Getting the bar code was a pain as I had to email the seller for it, print it and then scan it. But it worked well once I did that.

Keep in mind that unless the bar code has been entered into the submission, you'll get no results. IIRC, if the bar code was entered as displayed on the UPC code eg 1 2345 6789 0 rather than how it scans e.g. 1234567890 it didn't display any results either.

Also, labels used the same bar code for different pressings, sometimes in different countries and even for later reissues. So you may have to do a bit of extra work if there are multiple uses of the bar code for a title you have. However, even in those cases I found the bar code scanner helpful.

Overall I entered about 1000 cds into Discogs and the USB bar code reader was of help.

If you don't want to use one though you can search by typing the UPC code into the search box.

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Got it, thank you.

8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i was getting ready to do some "spring" cleaning in my collection and list some things for sale there for the first time, what is the additional checks now?
    sounds like theyre doing identity checks with tax implications

9. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Discogs just sent out a notice that they are taking longer to verify new seller accounts due to the recent outbreak of fraudulent accounts by new sellers.

I am not sure if it will help speed approval, but if you’ve had a buying account for awhile, made contributions to the database, left feedback, etc., it will probably be faster than if you just try to list inventory and not do anything else.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

And of course those posting in the official forum are losing their minds over this. Last week they were begging for them to do something about the scammers.

11. Psyren99

"Discogs is committed to ensuring a safe and trusted marketplace. We are continuously working on improvements to our site so you can securely discover, buy, and sell music.

After a recent increase in scammers across many online marketplaces, we immediately introduced countermeasures that significantly decreased attempted fraud over the past few weeks. Among these are a more robust seller account identification process to ensure overall marketplace security and regulatory compliance. This includes a temporary waiting period for new sellers and requirements for sellers to provide additional information about their businesses."

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

According to one person, when asked for additional information, they wrote, "rocking is my business, and my business is good." They are still awaiting approval.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder, since sellers need to accept PayPal, wouldn't Discogs and PayPal be able to work together to ensure that any new seller is able to use PayPal? For example, a lot of the scammers are based in countries that PayPal doesn't allow people to accept g&s payments. So couldn't they ensure that anyone wishing to sell on Discogs has to have a valid account for accepting g&s payments? Plus they would be able to tell if a seller is actually based in France, like they say they are, and not [banned country].

So many of the scams work on that set up. Buyer tries to pay, PayPal error message received. Buyer contacts seller, seller says problem with PP account, but they can pay directly to their email and wants f&f payment.

14. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

PayPal makes it clear that F&F is meant exclusively for that, people you already know & trust. Using that option with an unknown seller is like taking a check without waiting for it to clear from an unknown buyer.

Discogs works if you take minimal pere auctions as a buyer or seller. Always use a credit card option through PayPal, which essentially wipes out the savings of F&F for a seller and keeps everyone on their toes. Never try workarounds outside of Discogs or PayPal or you will be open to fraudsters.

15. Mark From Eire

Mark From Eire Forum Resident

The Verge - Discogs’ vibrant vinyl community is shattering. It’s good article from the seller’s point of view but it should have included some buyers to balance the article out a bit more, because without buyers Discogs or seller’s wouldn’t exist!

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Somewhat over the top headline. It's basically a summary of the many points, many people have made in the official forums over the past while. Not much extra information.

I did have to laugh at the store owner complaining that the increase in fees might potentially be putting off people from entering new items in the database so now he often doesn't find an item he wants to list already entered. I guess it never occurred to him to just enter it himself. Oh the horror have now having to do the work, that you benefit from anyway, yourself. :laugh:

Personally, I think it was rather naive for any seller to assume that commission rates would not go up. At 8% for a long time, it was coming sooner or later, especially as the online environment has come under greater scrutiny by governments around the world, wrt to sales tax collection. People can complain that it's 9% including shipping now (though not buyer sales tax) but it's either that or, a lot more than 9% x item price. Plus, though not the main reason for the increase, it help against sellers using high shipping rates and low item pricing to avoid commission.

In fairness to some of the points, they do need to pull their fingers out and get working on seller, and buyer, features that people have been requesting for a long time now. As long as there remain few options to sell via, at the Discogs or eBay level, Discogs can ride it out, but they'll struggle if other avenues start to become more attractive to seller and buyers.

It also doesn't help that we've had significant postage increases around the world plus there's the economic uncertainty. Having spoken to those who don't sell online, they've had a slower sales year than previous years.

cwitt1980 and Dave like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Why was an increase in commission "just a matter of time." While I agree that Discogs has done nothing to suggest they're a do no evil type company, inflation adjustments are built into the system when your commission comes off the sale price. And the collectors community has been growing, which compounds the growth in gross revenues.

I'm not surprised they're looking to have a bigger bite of the apple. They're looking to eek every penny out without spending much on infrastructure improvements. But they could remain viable without it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    astro70 and joachim.ritter like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lols if you need me to actually answer that.

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  19. 1916

1916 Member

They work together now. Before paypal and discogs had nothing. But Ebay and paypal had. Now it the same with Discogs and paypal, you have to agree on agreement "sign" agreement between your account on paypal and discogs.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes, they work more closely now. Which is why I suggested that perhaps, PayPal can help verify the location of the sellers PayPal account.

Previously, Discogs allowed other forms of payment like bank transfer, now they don't.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just a reminder that although Discogs and PayPal are now connected, shipping rates if you choose to ship through Discogs are crap--with extra profit for Discogs built into the rates. You should create shipping labels by logging into PayPal directly and then create a shipping label from the order. You'll save money.

eddiel likes this.
  22. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

I wonder the percentage of sellers that don’t realize that, I’m sure full time sellers are well aware, but the casual seller perhaps not.

23. The Black Cat

The Black Cat Furriest Demon

I thought Discogs wasn’t necessarily charging more for shipping, but rather they are just charging the full USPS rate (for media mail at least).

Regardless, as you said it’s cheaper to get shipping labels from PayPal. PirateShip is cheaper as well, though I think they have the same discounted rate as PayPal.

24. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I ordered an album listed as brand new sealed and unopened. Received one that was none of the above. Seller sent me a return label and asked if I wanted them to send me another one. I said yes. Got another one, not sealed and unopened. Told them to send me a return label and a refund and told them I will never buy anything from them ever again. They sent me a canned response. Asked them to tell me why I should give them negative feedback...they haven't responded, but now I can't provide feedback on the order at all, because I gave them positive feedback before I opened the package, and then removed the feedback. Have purchased several from this seller before with no issues whatsoever. They have 99+% positive feedback with nearly 300k reviews. Very disappointed.