Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Out of interest does anyone have a theory on why the quad mix will not play via hdmi but will play via coaxial connection?

St. Troy likes this.
  2. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I can tell u the blackmarket blu ray w Quad just like the real official discs will only play on my Oppo...if I use my Sony 800 it will only "see/play" the 5.1 mix
    I MUST play disc via Oppo to hear the Quad! :(

St. Troy likes this.
  3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Is the quad mix not playing at all, or is it down mixing to stereo or similar?

Both the 5.1 & quad mixes are in multichannel uncompressed PCM, not DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. Some receivers need to be put into multichannel input mode to correctly handle the signal (my old Denon 3312 had to do this, otherwise I’d get an unholy stereo downmix that was then put through Dolby Pro-Logic II processing. My current Denon X3500H handles the multichannel uncompressed PCM signal without issue or needing to switch input modes).

4. stillrockin

I receive the 5.1 fine on my Cambridge CXR 120, but not a note of quad ( or stereo downmix). My machine plays other quad discs fine eg the Santana Japan sacd releases.

St. Troy likes this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Seems like a straight forward enough AV receiver - what disc player are you using?

6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I think I only played my BD on an all in one Sony BD player with surround amp unit, but the quad mix played fine until the disc failed. BD disc authoring problems can cause odd incompatibilities with some players.

Anyone with access to a BD burner could try ripping the quad mix and burning onto a BDR as an audio only BD.

As per previous posts, I put all of the available true quad mixes from the Immersion and Early Years boxes onto a single layer BDR. I did a similar 5.1 mix disc, though IIRC there wasn’t enough room for everything on a single layer disc (and I don’t have the BD with The Division Bell on).

Less hassle to play, as there are no menus to navigate; just put the BD in and press play.

quicksrt, coffeetime and St. Troy like this.
  7. stillrockin

I have a Cambridge 751 BD, which plays just about everything I throw at it. A kind friend arranged me a copy of the quad on a dvd which does play but that is not my preferred route at all. I dare say as posted above now and again there are incompatibilities which are hard to explain.

8. FWIW, On my Oppo 83, the surround version (sorry, can't remember if it was the 4.0 or the 5.1 mix) of Wish You Were Here would only play in stereo (via HDMI) but all the surrounds play just fine on my Oppo 203. Go figure.

9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Anyone who brought the immersion box such as I should be given this disc as a compensation for the shoddy condition of the discs and the fact that the bluray actually failed after a few years. Was definitely the most unreliable and shoddy box set I ever purchased. Wish you were here was returned once I discovered that bluray was also faulty.

11. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Pink Floyd / The Dark Side of the Moon standalone blu-ray audio with Dolby Atmos Mix
    Sold Out
    Sold Out - Lovely.

12. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

It's available on Amazon.

St. Troy and Jerry Horne like this.
  13. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Thank you!

mooncusser2k likes this.
  14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

St. Troy and Bonddm like this.
  15. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

To be fair, they did replace the defective Blu-Rays (I had them both replaced). And the Quad/early mixes/demos/live/are, simply put, a thing of beauty.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    JulesRules and DementedAvenger like this.
  16. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Yeah the music is good but all the discs were floating around in the box

Anthrax and St. Troy like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not in the US, so not everyone.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. M1ke2345

M1ke2345 Enjoying the new Red & Blue Beatles albums.

I nabbed it straight away yesterday on Amazon UK for £10.99.

I noticed that today it’s £15.99. :yikes:

TheSeldomSeenKid and St. Troy like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Me too! Can't beat a price guarantee!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  20. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Yeah, 10.99 GBP was pretty much unbeatable. I'd have loved to order it but could not, since Amazon.co.uk has been blocking preorders from other countries for a while.
    Had to settle for 21,90 Euro on Amazon.it. And it's already gone up to 22,90 Euro!

21. Sevoflurane

For some reason, Amazon UK won't let me pre order anything any more. Flagged it to customer support, they said they would fix it, they didn't. Fortunately my wife's account works. I'd have ordered from the PF site, but not for £6 + postage more.

22. Sevoflurane

Here's a thing; I have been using my rip of the 5.1 to see what a stereo mixdown sounds like, having done just that with the quad mix. DSOTM works pretty well, but however I rip the WYWH disc, the front right and left channel both have multiple instances of clipping, despite being 96K / 24 bit. I can open the rip in Audacity and use the clippng tool to highlight it. ANyone else noticed that? Does the SACD [which I don't have] of WYWH suffer from that?

St. Troy likes this.
  23. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

... now that it's 15.99 GBP it would let me order it! Those bastards... :D

M1ke2345 likes this.
  24. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I bought my DSOTM Immersion box used a couple of years ago and ran across the information about the faulty BluRay in this forum. I checked the matrix numbers and sure enough, it had the ones for the defective batch although it still worked. I sent for and received the replacement BluRay. However, after at least two or three years the original, identified-as-defective disc still works fine. In fact, I'm playing it as I type this. So...either I got incredibly lucky or not all of the original EU pressed BluRays were defective. There is the possibility, of course, that this thing goes belly up and dies, say , a year from now.

NunoBento, JulesRules and St. Troy like this.
  25. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

It depends on a lot of factors. The defect of all these discs was caused in the manufacturing process where air got between the layers and the data layer started dissolving, or the adhesive used stopped working, and the layers came apart, giving that dark/bronzing look.

In this condition, further degradation depends on where the disc is stored and its exposition to cold/warm. It can be a matter of time until it dies, or it could not die at all.

It is definitely not the consumer's fault and being CD/DVD/Blu-ray a storage media with an average longevity of 20 to 100 years, it should not die a few years after it's been released. I still have CDs from the 80s playing flawlessly without any sign of degradation. So this is unacceptable, especially for such pricy sets.