Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MLutthans,

I tried to buy a copy of this LP and got nearly trampled over it. The friend who owned the record store (mainly used) promised me the first VG Plus Gray or Side Logo or nicer they could find me free of charge (I am less mobile due to physical challenges). I got a call yesterday from this gentleman, a NM original was traded in, it's mine when I come to collect it. I am glad I didn't get the RSD edition this time. Next RSD, they'll tell me what is offered for RSD and make arrangements to have what I wish without the crowd issue. The couple who owns the store is trying to avoid me being trampled.

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

McLover,

You will LOVE it! I have a near-mint original gray label copy that is sublime to listen to! CONGRATS!

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Christmas Dreaming (A Little Early This Year)

I was dreaming they might do it better this year, but then I woke up. My review, FWIW...

The Capitol 2011 U.S. CD reissue of A JOLLY CHRISTMAS FROM FRANK SINATRA is out. New catalog/UPC no. (5099967976324). Same old "fake stereo" remastering.

This has the usual 14 tracks, including the two extra 1954 Nelson Riddle bonuses. (The PSA bonus track which appeared on the 2007 50th Anniversary Edition is not included.) Same old Pete Welding liner notes we've been reading since 1987, but at least they removed the incorrect mastering credit to Larry Walsh this go-round.

There's no printed credit, but it's the 1999 Bob Norberg remaster (a drop softer than previous CD reissues overall), with a compilation mastering date: ℗ 2007. As usual, if it's proper pure mono sound you're seeking on compact disc, try to find a 1987 Walsh-mastered version instead (catalog no. CDP 7 48329 2).

The booklet covers and CD label ("Reissue Design by Mark Holley") were obviously influenced by the 180g LP reissue last year, plus there are two nice color portrait photos of Frank (one under the clear CD tray inlay). Amazon is not showing the correct cover image, which may be differentiated from previous reissues by the "Capitol Records" logo and "High Fidelity Recording" badge in the upper right corner:

frank-sinatra-2011-a-jolly-christmas-from-frank-sinatra-cd.jpg

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

ah, business as usual...another well thought out Sinatra re-release...:nauga:

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Ain't it the truth. :laugh: ...ouch. :sigh:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You guys have that "Bah, Humbug!" routine down pat. :laugh:

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That's what makes it all the more special for those of us blessed with either the original 87 CD or better yet one of those orginal gray label LP's. Especially, in the case of the LP, you can enjoy the wonderment of a true survivor of decades of Christmas holidays and just imagine the many festive holiday gatherings the LP played host to.

"Bah, Humbug!" begone. It almost makes me want to lay that pretty gray platter on my turntable and begin celebrating now!

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i still can't get over how they botched the vinyl reissue last year...seriously astounding to me...oh well, i have this one in enough configurations and anybody grabbing this new one won't even know the difference anyway...at least they will be listening.

not sure what this'll sell in one season anyway to warrant much investment into it, but for the historical record, it'd be nice to have it right at some point...

9. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

No surprise on this one. Capitol must be on a Christmas reissue kick. The Beach Boys Christmas Album was reissued this week for the 274th time. No word on sound quality yet, but odds are it's a clone of something that's already been released.

As for Mr. Sinatra's Jolly Christmas, I'll stick with my MFSL pressing and Larry Walsh CD. These two seem to be winners. Budget reissues are out of the question (Duophonic), and I don't see many vintage copies in nice condition around here (I'm done with eBay for now).

Love the signature line, Paul. Cheers [​IMG]

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I can't believe that Capitol is so clueless. They've heard the outcry of criticism for Bob Norberg's work on Sinatra... Why don't they just grab the Larry Walsh masters and issue those again instead of Mr. Norberg's?

11. 1997Monterey

1997Monterey New Member

12. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

After reading all the good things about Larry Walsh's 1987 mastering of this album, I'm thinking of tracking down a copy for myself. What does the album look like compared to Bob Norberg's 1999 edition, aside from Bob's having the "Entertainer Of The Century" tag in the artwork. Or rather, what are some specific questions I could ask a seller to guarantee I get what I'm seeking.

I see Amazon has a listing for a 1990 released A Jolly Christmas... with much darker cover art. Amazon images aren't always accurate but does the 1990 release date pretty much guarantee it's the 1987 Larry Walsh master?

:help:

13. GroovinGarrett

I'm sure there are variations....

My copy has the red Sinatra Christmas Album cover with Frank's face superimposed over a package with a green bow, with "Monaural Digital Mastering" at the top. The disc has a purple Capitol label, title is A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra, catalog CDP 7 48329 2. This was issued with both the red and black front covers, but the disc is the important factor.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Amazon dates for older CDs are unreliable. 1990 is probably the date it was added to their database. Here's how to tell it's the Larry Walsh version:
    1. Catalog no. (on disk or jewel case spine): CDP 7 48329 2
    2. UPC bar code (on back of case): 0 7777-48329-2 2
    3. Mastering date (fine print on back of case): ℗ 1987 Capitol Records, Inc.
    4. Either of two front covers:

JollyChristmas1.jpg JollyChristmas2.jpg
    Note: Larry Walsh's name in the liner notes is no guarantee it's his version; it needs to have the ℗ 1987 date. Capitol has been erroneously crediting Walsh for years on its Norberg remasters. (This year there is no individual mastering credit.)

15. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I'm never surprised by Capitol's ability to screw up a vinyl release, or a Sinatra release. Put the two together, and the only thing that would be surprising is if they didn't screw it up in some obvious way. They couldn't even get the track listing right for In The Wee Small Hours.

16. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Thanks, Bob F! :righton:

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

18. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Of the two covers, which one came first for the 1987 Larry Walsh mono mastering of A Jolly Christmas? Why have the two covers with identical sonics in the first place? Did Capitol issue the red one and then realize it wasn't selling well because it looked like a totally different album that was, in fact, the Christmas LP many probably grew up with in the '50s? Perhaps they then changed it to the traditional black cover art to better associate the album with what it truly was? Don't know why I'm getting hung up on this, but surely someone must know the answer!

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

First of all, long before the Larry Walsh CD, both covers were used on LP issues. The black cover was the original in 1957. The red cover (with alternate title) was introduced in 1963, I believe.

CORRECTION FROM ORIGINAL POST (based on discussion below): The first 1987 CD
    issue had the RED cover. I'm not sure what year the individual CD was replaced
    with the black cover version, but the cover of the jewel case in my CONCEPTS
    (wooden "bread box") set from 1992 is black. The sonics and liner notes were
    identical in either case.

Reason for the change? Marketing. It's a seasonal item which is reissued every year. Changing the cover art makes it appear to be something new and fresh. At least, that's my theory.

20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Thanks, Bob F! You are a welcome well of knowledge in all things Sinatra. :D I knew you'd have the answer to my question.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Closer look:
    TheSinatraChristmasAlbum.jpg

22. GroovinGarrett

The old Duophonic release, and later banner change to "For Stereo Phonographs":

Attached Files:

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I was just re-reading this thread from the beginning, and here is another very plausible theory along the same (marketing) lines...

24. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I believe the 1960's version of the Columbia Christmas album has the Christmas box(es) motif. as well.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

P.S. That Gray Label original of "A Jolly Christmas" was indeed NM- condition. And was sourced from a Hollywood lacquer. And this friend threw in a Mobile Fidelity of it along. Both are quiet, flat, and wonderful sounding.