$1,500 Bookshelf Round-up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SwitcherooU, Apr 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

You couldn't go wrong with almost any Spendor, in my opinion.

However, if the 3/5 really speaks to you, consider contacting Spendor (or a local dealer, if you have one) in a few months. Spendor, like Harbeth, is a pretty small shop and it could be that all hands are on deck producing the popular A-series floorstanding speakers.

2. SwitcherooU

SwitcherooU Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Got the Excites. They’re definitely an upgrade over the Emits, but they’re not the destination speakers I thought they would be.

To be fair, I have very limited placement options (4’ apart, 8” from the wall), and I think the Emits worked better with those limitations.

timind and avanti1960 like this.
  3. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

This misconception gets brought up frequently. The measurements show that this particular RAAL ribbon tweeter actually has a much wider dispersion than most dome tweeters. Where it’s “limited” compared to a dome is vertical dispersion. This also is not a concern unless you like to stand up and sit down repeatedly while critically listening to music. Narrow vertical dispersion can actually have some benefits in an untreated room as the ceiling and floor reflections are minimized.

Here is a link to the measurements:

Sierra-2 RAAL Ribbon Tweeter Bamboo Cabinet Loudspeaker

I have a pair of Sierra-2 speakers and they are absolutely wonderful. I’ve had them for a year now and still get excited to listen to them every day. The RAAL tweeter is phenomenal. Loads of detail while still sounding incredibly sweet and smooth and not a hint of harshness.

I did see you already got the Excites, but if you have a generous return period I strongly suggest ordering a pair of Sierra-2s and doing a comparison.

RJPDX likes this.
  4. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

Those new Wharfedale Linton Heritage with stands for $1500 seem like a winner.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Let's wait and see/hear...

intensemojo likes this.
  6. Quaktors&Beauraucats

Quaktors&Beauraucats New Member

I am debating on buying the Kef LS50's or Buchardt S300's........The Buchardt's are about $2000 cdn and the Kef's are on sale for $1000 cdn. I am willing to spend the extra $1000 if someone is to convince me the Buchardt's are far superior. I am open to all and any discussions. I can check out the Kef's at my local Vision's store but the Buchardt's.....well, I'd be winging it.

7. Quaktors&Beauraucats

Quaktors&Beauraucats New Member

I screwed up the price on the Burchardt's s300.....they are $1500 cdn so only a $500 difference between the Kef's and Buchardt's.

8. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I can definitely recommend the X14 especially at that price. Great speaker, a mighty mite.

9. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Nice! Love my X14's.

SirMarc likes this.
  10. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The new ELAC Carina ($1200?), with down-firing ports, seems to be a contender in this market segment. (I have not heard it; just commenting based on available info so far)

11. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I think 4 feet apart is too close together for the Excites. I initially had my X14's 5 feet apart but found they were better balanced at 6 feet apart minimum center to center.

12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got mine about 7ish feet apart, 26 inches from the wall to the back of the speaker with only 1/2 inch toe in, on 24 inch sand filled Target stands. Set up this way, these guys image like crazy, and sound way bigger than they are

13. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

How much break in time do you have on them? I'm at about 160 hours and they're still improving.

14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Not sure, maybe 200-300? Weird part is, I swear it sounded not as good for a few days and better today. Maybe they're still breaking in. I've heard with the higher end Dyn's break in is 400 plus hours...

15. hman

hman Forum Resident

I'm not sure that you could do better in this price range than if you bought the Ascends.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Anyone here heard the Vandersteen VLRs? Not many reviews out there aside from that by Tone Audio, but I've found their reviews can be FOS and I suspect them a shill mag.

Ezd and bhazen like this.
  17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've heard them. Really nice mids and highs, but no bass at all. Definitely need a sub with these

bhazen and Helom like this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Oh, and these things seriously ROCK when you want them to. Cranking the new Tool album and the bass, with no sub, is punching me in the chest! Nice

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Less bass than P3ESR's?

20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Its been years since I've heard P3ESR's, but from memory, yes

bhazen likes this.
  21. Storz

Storz Forum Resident

Thoughts on Paradigm book shelve speakers? I've been thinking about a pair.

bhazen likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks, that saved me some money. :)

23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

No problem. I think they only go down to 80 Hz.

Edit: just checked, they go down to 64 Hz.

bhazen likes this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Paradigm Atoms are affordable classics! Haven't heard the current version, but the last time I heard 'em -- ten years ago? -- they were great.

25. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

I have a similar budget and the litton’s are in my short list...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.