$1 DVDs at Target ... Ozzie & Harriet, Dragnet ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chip-hp, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

At the front of the store, Target has an area where they sell items for $1 (I guess that they are trying to compete with Dollar Stores) ... included are a dozen or so DVDs for a $1 each ... IIRC, they are mostly '50s and '60s TV programs (4 episodes per DVD) ... I took a flier and bought 2 DVDs ... The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (Nelson ... parents of Rick Nelson (grandparents of the Nelson twins and Tracy Nelson)) ... and Dragnet ...

The O&H DVD includes the following shows ...

1) Separate Rooms (2/6/53 -- from the first season)

2) David's 17th Birthday (10/23/53 -- a flash back from '59)

3) Bird's Nest (5/7/54 - - a flash back from '62)

4) Kappa Sigma Party (10/3/56 - - a flash back from '63)

The overall quality is very good ... IIRC, O&H was filmed ... #1 is a little dark ... because they are flashbacks, #'s 2 and 3 include Ricky songs at the end ... Glory Road and Young World, respectively ... Ricky jitterbugs in #4 and plays the bongos (he wouldn't sing for the first time until the following Spring) ... these episodes have Ricky wisecracking at his best (especially 1 thru 3) ... two of the episodes (1 & 4, I think) include commercials ... NTS, well worth a $1 unless you already have these episodes ...

I haven't watched Dragnet ... but the episodes are as follows ...

1) The Big September Man (5/8/52 - - from the first season)

2) The Big Break (3/19/53)

3) The Big Little Jesus (12/24/53 - - apparently, a Christmas episode)

4) The Big Crime (9/9/54)

I guess these are all of the ... "Big" ... episodes :laugh: ...

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the One Step Beyond DVD is horrendous!

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for saving me the buck!

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I picked up a few of these as well. Got the Vincent Price one "Last Man On Earth" and the Buster Keaton "Lil Abner". Plus a Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith.

oh and "Road To Bali" with Hope and Crosby. Love that movie.

5. Michael

...these things are hit and miss, I've wasted some coin on crappy PD DVD's...especially Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies...

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Wal-Mart has $1 DVDs as well. The Wal-Mart $1 DVD of Beneath The 12-Mile Reef is a must have.

7. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

Best Buy has a string of them also, Vincent Price, early Jack Nicholson, Karloff, and many more B&Ws; I didn't take the chance, but I may this weekend. They come in a gold paper stock sleeve and are in the Sci-Fi/Horror section. These are probably "public domain" stuff that no one bothered to re-up.
    Kind of makes you wonder how much profit is in the $19.99 current DVD?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

They are public domain titles.

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Jack Benny one I got while on vacation at the Outer Banks this year turned out to be a real winner.

That one has an episode with the Beach Boys and an appearance by Walt Disney himself.

10. Michael

...can you post details on this please.:)...looks like something I need to find! Thanks John.

11. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Beach Boys

I got a one dollar DVD of Jack Benny with the Beach Boys at the Dollar Tree Store.

Its The Jack Benny Hour from 1965(?) that has the Beach Boys as the musical guest.
    While the show was broadcasted in color, the DVD is black and white from a film source.

Brian and the boys do "Calf. Girls", and do a skit about their surf club with Jack Benny &
    guest Bob Hope. and a second musical number later in the show.

12. Michael

Thanks Bill, quite strange the B&W JB Show? Any clues?

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Looks like some kind of a TV special, not part of a series. Obviously the color videotape isn't available to them, so they went with a kinescope film.

The clip of the Beach Boys doing "California Girls" and a sketch with Jack and Bob Hope has been available for years in an edited form on the Beach Boys: An American Band documentary, in color, from videotape.

The second Beach Boys song is "Barbara Ann", by the way. Striped shirts, Brian present, and completely live, worth the buck right there.

Oh, and one of the extra episodes of The Jack Benny Program has Julie London singing "Daddy."
    :love:

I see them mainly in Dollar stores (ie, Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc.), that's probably the easiest place to find them. They come in a flat cardboard sleeve. Here's an earlier topic on the subject:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=34799

Speaking of these titles being "Public Domain", I can't speak for all of them, but there's a Groucho Marx You Bet Your Life title, and I can tell you for a fact that the Groucho show is definitely NOT public domain. NBC still owns the rights to those, and now that they're putting out legit DVD's of the show, they're going after the companies who put out these cheap discs. Problem is, they're kind of fly by night, putting out their product, then disappearing just as quickly. NBC only leased out the rights for two videocassettes of You Bet Your Life episodes in the 80's, so pretty much any "public domain" VHS or DVD that doesn't have an NBC logo somewhere on it is technically a bootleg. The stores don't care, they get them cheap in bulk and unload them quickly. They don't really know what they've got, and it's not worth it to the rights holders to try to go after them.

14. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Actually, all of the 1950s Dragnet episodes are titled "The Big (Whatever)" . IIRC, this was the way the radio shows were titled (there's a two-part radio episode that was announced as such), so Jack Webb just carried it over to the TV version.

15. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The "Big Little Jesus" Dragnet episode is notable because it is the first NBC network film show to be telecast in compatible color in Dec. 1953. The only folks able to watch this color shakedown test were RCA/NBC and other tv manufactuer engineers and company big wigs on prototype color sets. The one buck version is of course in B&W. Which is how the rest of America saw it in '53

16. Michael

..Walmart had a 20 episode Dragnet double DVD for $5.50.
    I didn't pick it up...did anyone buy this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.