10 Best Kung Fu Movies!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Skull, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I used to be a big collector a few years ago. Some of my favourites were…

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman
    The Sword (Adam Cheng)
    Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain
    Encounters of the Spooky Kind
    Ninja Hunter (aka wu tang vs Ninja)
    Warriors Two
    Long Road to Gallantry
    Legend of A Fighter
    Five Superfighters
    Avenging Eagle

I mostly prefer over the top swordplays.

Shawn likes this.
  2. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

A little OT here, I am looking for a particular movie.

It features a 3 sectional nunchuck in use, absolutely clearing out a crowd of bad guys- really exciting!

I really like movies with exotic weapons.

3. Jimmy Disco D

Was it this?

Could be any number of movies though, can you remember anything else?

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Just watched The Prodigal Son last night. Probably the closest I have seen Golden Harvest get to a Shaw-type epic. For once, the goofy slapstick stuff is pretty funny, especially Sammo Hung's calligraphy scenes. I also recently saw Pedicab Driver, another Sammo movie well worth tracking down. Sammo's films have some of the best fight choreography going. Even his last film as director, The Bodyguard, is pretty great. Might be because at my age, it's just fun to see a fat old man clear the room of a bunch of violent punks.

All time favorite for me is still probably 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Just a great movie period.
    Master of the Flying Guillotine is probably second on my list just because it is so outrageous and crazy, but I would recommend pretty much anything from Jimmy Wang-Yu.
    When it comes to the ladies, I would also give a shout out to Chen Ping. She made a killer flick called The Vengeful Beauty, which I saw just recently also. Right up there with Angela Mao and Cheng Pei Pei.

Shawn and mecano like this.
  5. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

Another one is The Fate of Lee Khan (1973).Has some hard kicking ladies. Directed by King Hu and it's basically one long-con taking place almost entirely at an inn. Angela Mao is in it too plus Feng Hsu.
    While today we tend to put Angela Mao and Cheng Pei Pei together they were actually quite different.
    Before Bruce Lee it was the women who were the stars, the celebrities in HK Cinema ,the ones who were top-billed.I think Cheng Pei Pei,and the other women of that era were actresses/stars first who did fight scenes.Except Angela.She was a martial artist first,gorgeously athletic,the original Atomic Girl.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  6. Holerbot6000

I think Cheng Pei Pei was known more for Wuxia and sword work than straight kung-fu but her movies are still fun. I was trying to remember one I saw fairly recently. I had to go back and look it up. Lady of Steel. Not much in the plot department but one of those movies where she just plows through endless armies of bad guys. Well worth seeking out. :righton:

mecano likes this.
  7. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

Great movie, thanks!

What I am looking for is actually a much shorter version of the 3 sectional staff- referred to as a 3 sectional nunchuck.
    Martial Arts Weapons Nunchaku Three Section

The 3 sectional nunchuck is most useful in smaller confines and against multiple crowded opponents due to the shorter size.

All I remember is the scene was in a daylight urban area.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  8. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I like Fist of Legend starring a Jet Li, I haven’t seem anything from his catalog listed so I’ll start with my favorite. Li had a bunch of fantastic more modern era releases.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  9. Jimmy Disco D

I haven’t seen that one, Lady Hermit is fun though. My old username on different forums used to be “Golden Swallow” in her honour.

10. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

Sammo is a legend for good reason.And i really enjoy him in his later dramatic roles.In SPL/KillZone (2005) he is very good as the main antagonist against Donnie Yen.Great fight scene in the end between them.This movie also has an astonishing Wu Jing vs Yen fight scene.

11. Holerbot6000

You guys keep reminding me of more movies to recommend. I've been on a 'Well-Go' kick lately. The aforementioned Bodyguard and SPL are both great but also worth mentioning is Kung-Fu Killer. It may be my most favorite Donnie Yen movie and is one of the single best modern Kung-Fu movies I've seen. Great story (which isn't always the case with these things) and insane fights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.