10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Interestingly, Steve Strange of Visage saw the video to this song, and got Godley and Creme to direct the video for Fade To Grey. It kick started their career as video makers for other artists.

dvakman, ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Song reference guide

10cc - Who Are they?
    - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

10cc documentary - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Some Graham Gouldman hits from the sixties
    - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    Mindbenders - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Kevin Godley to fly away 1969 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    Graham Gouldman The Late Mr Late 1969 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Hotlegs - Thinks:School Stinks - 1970 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 1 Neanderthal Man 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 How Many Times 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 3 Desperate Dan 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 Take Me Back 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 5 Um Wah, Um Woh 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 6 Suite F.A. 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 7 Fly Away 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 8 Run Baby Run 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 9 All God's Children 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Today 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Donna/Hot Sun Rock - 1972 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Johnny Don't Do It/ 4% Of Something - dec 1972 - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Rubber Bullets/Waterfall june 73 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

10cc July 1973 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Johnny Don't Do It 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 Sand In My Face 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Donna 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 The Dean And I 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Headline Hustler 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Speed Kills 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Rubber Bullets 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 The Hospital Song 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Ships Don't Just Disappear In The Night (do they?) 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Fresh Air For Mama 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Bee In My Bonnet 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Sheet Music 1974 - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Wall street Shuffle 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Worst Band In The World 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Hotel 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Old Wild Men 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Clockwork Creep 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Silly Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Somewhere In Hollywood 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 Baron Samedi 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 The Sacro-Iliac 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Oh Effendi 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Gizmo My Way 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side 18 Carat Man Of Means 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

The Original Soundtrack March 1975 - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Une Nuit A Paris 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 I'm not In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Blackmail 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Second Sitting For The Last Supper 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Brand New Day 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Flying Junk 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Life Is A Minestrone 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 The Film Of My Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Channel Swimmer 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side Good News 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

100cc June 1975 (compilation) - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

How Dare You? January 1976 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 How Dare You? 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Lazy Ways 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 I Wanna Rule The World 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 I'm Mandy Fly Me 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Iceberg 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Art For Art's Sake 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Rock And Roll Lullaby 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 Head Room 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Don't Hang Up 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Get It While You Can 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It 1976 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Neanderthal Man 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 How Many Times 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 3 Desperate Dan 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 Take Me Back 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 5 Um Wah, Um Woh 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 6 Suite F.A. 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 7 Fly Away 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 8 Run Baby Run 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 9 All God's Children 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 10 The Loser 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 11 Today 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 12 Lady Sadie 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 13 You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

The Split 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Deceptive Bends May 1977 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Good morning Judge 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Things We Do For Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Marriage Bureau Rendezvous 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 People In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Modern Man Blues 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Honeymoon With B Troop 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 You've Got A Cold 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Feel The Benefit 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side I'm So Laid Back I'm Laid Out 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side Don't Squeeze Me Like toothpaste 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side Hot To Trot 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    alt Voodoo Boogie - People In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

G&C Consequences 1977 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    Peter Cook 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 1 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 2 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Five O'clock In The Morning 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 3 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 4 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 5 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    part 6 Blint's Tune movements 1-17 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

10cc Live And Let Live Oct 1977 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Second Sitting For The Last Supper 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 You've Got A Cold 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Honeymoon With B Troop 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Art For Art's Sake 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 People In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Wall Street Shuffle 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Ships Don't Disappear In The Night (do they) 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 I'm Mandy Fly Me 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Marriage Bureau Rendezvous 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Good Morning Judge 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 11 Feel The Benefit 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 12 The Things We Do For Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 13 Waterfall 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 14 I'm Not In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 15 Modern Man Blues 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

G&C L 1978 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 This Sporting Life 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Sandwiches Of You 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Art School Canteen 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Group Life 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Punchbag 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Foreign Accents 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Hit Factory/Business is Business 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

10cc Bloody Tourists Sept 1978 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Dreadlock Holiday 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 For You And I 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Take These Chains 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Shock On The Tube 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Last Night 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 The Anonymous Alcoholic 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Reds In My Bed 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 Lifeline 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Tokyo 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Old Mister Time 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 11 From Rochdale To Ocho Rios 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 12 Everything You Wanted To Know About!!! 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Nothing Can Move Me 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

G&C Freeze Frame 1979 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 An Englishman In New York 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

ChristopherTeuma and BeSteVenn like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Silent Running
    This track is the b-side to An Englishman In New York, and it has a slightly more commercial feel about it. It has a somewhat doo wop pastiche thing going on, and ends up being a very cool track, and worth a listen.

4. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Silent Running - typical b-side, nothing special.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Seeing the cover for Freeze Frame posted here has reminded of something that's always puzzled me about it. What is the piebald effect on the two figures in the picture trying to say?

6. mark winstanley

idk, but it is eye catching lol

ciderglider likes this.
  7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

My ranking right now so far:
    2, Sheet Music
    2, How Dare You
    3, The Original Soundtrack
    4, L
    5, Deceptive Bends
    6, Consequences
    7, 10cc
    8, Freeze Frame
    9, Bloody Tourists
    10, Thinks: School Stinks

8. mark winstanley

I doubt mine will be consistent but at the time of writing this my order would be something like

How Dare You
    Deceptive Bends
    Freeze Frame
    Sheet Music/Original Soundtrack
    L
    Consequences
    Bloody tourists
    10cc
    Hot legs Thinks: School stinks

but the top eight are pretty close to each other, in spit of how it looks like that.

9. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

An Englishman In New York

My favourite G&C post 10cc track. A brilliantly bonkers avant-garde new wave jazz track which completely works musically, vocally, lyrically & ..... visually.

10. Blame The Machines

Silent Running

By G&C's oddball standards this is a bland doo-wop blues rocker. I like its nice mellow groove, but I don't feel there is anything special about it.

11. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

An Englishman in New York is BY FAR my favorite post-split single by any of the four professors of the apopolypse.

The lyrics are equally hilarious and disturbing, the melody infectiously catchy ("Strange Apparatus" is a trademark singalong anthem of absurdity worthy of "Load Up, Load Up", "Humdrum Days", and "Life is a Minestrone"), the jazzy arrangements are suitably snappy with instrumental color beyond the tired old guitar/bass/drums paradigm, and the brilliant middle section includes the nice subversion of hearing Lol in the bridge (rather than the old formula of Lol in the lead and Kevin in the bridge, from back in the early days...).

Whenever I hear this song, I get a charge out of it reminiscent of much of the work by the original quartet: the pop smarts are there, but gloriously twisted and subverted into something fresh and off kilter, with tongue firmly in cheek. Perhaps the criticisms that the song overstays its welcome are somewhat valid; I do find myself gravitating to the single edit quite frequently.

As johnnyyen noted above, this track also marks a major turning point in their career: from this point forward, video will tend to overtake music as G&C's primary creative passion. There is a poignancy to that, because in terms of the singles going forward, I feel that they will tend to channel their oddball energies more toward the visual side of things. Perhaps as a result of this, a number of their future singles will turn out to be big hits in the UK and elsewhere, but I'll miss their trademark tension between the popular and bizarre typified in singles like this.

A shout-out to the video: it's understandably primitive compared to their later video work, but still a sentimental favorite of mine because it perfectly captures the jaunty yet unsettling vibe of the music. The original video seems difficult to find online at the moment, but this alternative version is also a riot from beginning to end (note in particular the very enthusiastic audience member in the upper left corner):

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Kevin's (twin) brother ?
    It's a splendid track, Godley once again managed to skip drumming and instead sing like a bird. I only wish the sound would have the punch of the Sheet Music album, my 1987 WG Polydor cd is awfully bright.

13. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Original video? Not posted in post 1842?

14. dvakman

That's an amalgam of a number of different versions, including the original video.

mark winstanley and fRa like this.
  15. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

I love this song. My favorite lyrical part is the verse about the crucifix clock.

16. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like Silent Running but there's nothing special or unique about it, and would have ruined the flow of the album if it had been included.

17. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I can’t keep up with this thread daily because it’s getting into more unknown territory for me, especially the later 10cc albums.
    I guess I’ll just drop in random tidbits, on songs/albums I know well or like. There’s a favorite G&C b-side coming up soon...

Random notes:
    I’ve listened to Bloody Tourists quite a few times lately, and I’ve come round to liking it more. I like how they lightly touch on disco without doing a full track. A bit much faux reggae though. I’d have been fine with just Dreadlock Holiday. From Rochdale To Ocho Rios... I think Graham should’ve saved that for a soundtrack as it sounds akin to Sunburn.

Englishman In New York - I have to say I’m surprised this was a hit. The lyrics are top notch, but man, that repetitive minimal musical backdrop grates on me after a minute or two. I’m so relieved when we get to “strange apparatus”, which is such a weird albeit catchy refrain. Cool stuff, but it blows my mind it hit so highly.

18. mark winstanley

Random Brainwave
    This track starts fairly quietly. Then we get the grumble vocals of the guys, and then it slides into a synthetic sound, and a vocal comes in that is layered and effected. There is a really nice little guitar lick in there as well.
    Then we get a really sharp edit, that is a remarkable sounding piece of dance music, then we just as sharply return to the original theme.
    Then that cool little guitar lick gets an orchestrated section. The are some minor nods of the head to Consequences on this track.
    This is a fairly short track, but I think it manages to do and say a lot in that time.
    I don't think this track survives on its own, but I think it fits perfectly in the context of the album.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"An Englishman": Just to concur with the general consensus, a terrific single. The one thing I can say that might have kept it off the radio is the obscurity of some of the lyrics. Let's face it, "The pink filet mignon looks black on the negs" is not a joke that non-photogs/art schoolers will get.

"Random Brainwave:" To me this sounds remarkably like an Eno track circa Tiger Mountain. Manzanera proves a real asset here-- the two appearances of the guitar lick, the first solo and the second more orchestral, really make it.

mark winstanley and fRa like this.
  20. Blame The Machines

Random Brainwave

I concur it is influenced by Brian Eno's 1974 released second album sound. This works well in the context of its running order on the album. It is certainly interesting to listen to.

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Although I did not purchase Freeze Frame, I have An Englishman on the Before And After collection. I agree that it is somewhat monotonous. It strikes me as a friendlier L track.

22. mark winstanley

It's strange to me that so many find the Englishman monotonous. There is so much going on in that march...
    Oh well

ciderglider, fRa, 3Dman and 3 others like this.
  23. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Random Brainwave is FAR OUT MAN! Seriously, these guys were way ahead of their time, and their ability to capture ideas was amazing.

24. dvakman

Just as before, I think that this recurring reaction of yours reflects a suitably expansive appreciation of the overall catalog... This is why you've been just the right person to shepherd this discussion! :targettiphat:

25. mark winstanley

Cheers
    I love music and these guys made great music. I'm really interested in what exactly moves folks away or towards music.

fRa, BeSteVenn and dvakman like this.