10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Memories - too generic. Another one with a ska/reggae feel. This seems to be the new M.O. for 10cc and frankly I find it a bit lazy on their part.

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Memories
    A short keyboard and vocal intro that tricks you into expecting a ballad ... but then it's straight into a reggae beat chorus. The rock guitar part Photographs ... then changes course and we're back to the intro verse, chorus and out with a synth solo over reggae beat. All is well crafted, but where's the excitement in this nostalgic MOR song ?

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Memories - too cheezy for me, starts off ok but no, this is boring.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he is very involved, especially on this one.

and then of course wax, which i think think you should include in this thread.

5. Daniel Dolphin

Daniel Dolphin Well-Known Member

When i heard ”Memories” for the first time back in 81, i was moved by the melancholic intro and the nice verse but was dissapointed when the reggae chorus bursted out. Same sentiments now but i think they were striving for a more MOR 10cc style and occasionally gave us some sections reminiscing of their past glories. A pleasant track but a bit annoying because of their tendencies to play the reggae card a little bit to often.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Memories

Ironic considering its title, but this track is far too MOR inoffensive to be memorable. It is a pleasant track, it passes the time of day, but in many ways that is worse than being a terrible track which you remember.

7. Only thing I know about him is that his song became the theme for the Golden Girls.

I've been meaning to explore his stuff, that song is great.

8. Any Weezer fans here?
    They have a song called "Memories" which functions the same in their discography, in that it's well into their career, past their prime, and throwing back.

Back to 10cc's - I listened to the album version and then the "U.S. Version" on Tidal.
    First listen echos the sentiments here, it's slight but good sounding. Second listen, the U.S. Version, having a music concrete intro - but also having heard the song once - I loved it!
    Articulating the same thing - it's slight - but it's Graham doing the "West Indian" thing, and he always seems to enjoy that.

If the band aren't still having fun at this point, they're definitely still trying to. They are gear spinning, but they're not disengaged.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Memories" is the closest thing to a dud on side one, but it's still quite passable. The US mix is actually better-- Slightly harder edged so it sounds less Look Hear-ish. Far as I know that's the only track that differs on the two versions, the CD has both mixes.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Notell Hotel
    We get underway with some slightly sinister sounding synth and then we move into some slightly melancholic keys. This breaks into a mildly dance oriented groove. I think this has a good groove, and it is pleasing to me that we have a reggae free zone. Don't get me wrong, I like reggae, I was just a little tired of hearing 10cc use the style. It had seemed a little much by this stage.
    I think the song works well, and the narrative comes across well, and it is fairly witty using the No Tell Hotel punchline. We get some traditional 10cc backing vocals.
    Not a highlight of their career or anything, but I think it is a good album track that keeps this album on the up-side.

Blame The Machines likes this.
  11. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Notell Hotel just kinda exists without really going anywhere. I guess they needed a song to go along with the cover images.

12. footprintsinthesand

Notell Hotel
    One of the better tracks on this album. A bit of suspense in the story and despite the heavy synth arrangement it's a very clever song. Of course in the old days they would have added an odd section with fuzzy guitar to make it splendid. Is anything wrong ? Not really.

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Wife's had the 'Changing Faces - The Best Of 10cc and Godley & Creme' CD in her car for years. One of her faves.
    I've recently updated her ipod (after an upload disaster wiped 7 years' worth of collected material) and took the opportunity to add a few things she's not so familiar with. She came to me a weeks or so ago and of some, she actually asked me to delete them.
    The tracks she couldn't warm to?

Johnny, Don't Do It.
    The Dean And I
    Somewhere in Hollywood.

Pleased to say she's not adverse to 'Old Wild Men'. Phew! because that could have caused serious marital discord.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I was just about to ask why she didn’t mind ‘The Dean And I’ on ‘Changing Faces’, then I looked it up and discovered... it ain’t on there! Despite the fact it was a big hit... I’m guessing this was done as a concession to Eric Stewart, who famously despised the song.

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

It's on other 10cc compilations, but she went out for one that specifically had a mix. It's a great CD. I even like the oft-maligned 'An Englishman In New York'. (She doesn't :)).

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  16. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Notell Hotel - best track on the album so far.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think "Notell" is great-- Not just for the witty lyric but the tune itself is brilliant. Eric (or maybe Graham) was really on form here-- that melodic twist at the end of the chorus ("Missing clue at a rendezvous") is Macca-worthy.

Also, I think "Is there anything wrong?" may have been a fixed groove on the UK album but cant remember for sure.

18. Based on the feel, I think this is primarily Eric.

19. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Notell Hotel

I really like. Sonically, it sounds like mid-late 70s Pink Floyd after spending a month trapped in a room pipping out 70s Soft "Yacht" Rock music. Lyrically, this is equally as impressive. Easily, the best track yet from this album.

20. mark winstanley

Les Nouveaux Riches
    We get a sort of Caribbean feel here, that slides somewhat into a somewhat reggae feel. The guys were really taken by that sound and feel in the early eighties, and I think that is the main sticking point for a lot of people.
    I think this ends up being a good song though. We have a good lyric, and again the guys manage to infuse enough 10cc into the song to get it across the line for me. We also get a nice lead break from Stewart, and that normally helps.
    So for me, this ends up being a pretty decent start to what would have then been side two.

Northernlight likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

Les Nouveaux Riches
    Just when you thought the reggae rhythms were subsiding .. this one slaps you in the face and awakes the reggae fatigue.
    The intro makes you feel like you just walked in on a wedding taking place on some Caribbean beach. It's an odd song in a bad way. When you're underwhelmed by the first verses you're treated with a pointless guitar solo with cheesy (fake) steel drums, oh dear. I say: tick dem reggae rhythms !

22. mark winstanley

23. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

"Les Nouveaux Riches" was not on the American album, so I didn't catch up with it until stumbling across the UK single a couple of years later. I really liked it, and still think it's one of the better 10cc songs from this point in their career.

24. Les Nouveaux Riches is another song you could slide onto Bloody Tourists and I dunno that people'd notice.
    The album is a little closer aesthetically to a late-70s fusion album I would argue - moreso than say a Steely Dan or similar M.O.R. artist - of course with that signature 10cc Strawberry warmth.

The radio edit there, if that's what it was, is definitely mixed to bring the elements more alive than the album version, at least in that Youtube video.
    The fuzz bass is particularly present and pleasant sitting at the centre of the marimbas.
    Lovely sounding, for my first listen, will have to see if it digs in to me over time as a song.

25. footprintsinthesand

So with MOR you think of Steely Dan ? :unhunh: