10cc - unheard Revlon advert - mini documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nobby, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member Thread Starter

This has just appeared on YouTube.

Brief synopsis.

During a podcast the Strawberry Studios archivist reveals he has an unheard 2 inch 24 track 10cc tape.

The fans go about revealing what's on the tape.

The Great Stockport Bake-off - unearthing buried …:

As someone who loves behind the scenes tales and hearing multitracks etc, I found this enthralling.

And 10cc were a great band.

2. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

Thanks! We had a blast making it! Any opinions / questions etc. Please fire away!

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I really enjoyed that.
    I was kind of hoping they found more though.

As someone with a connection, please tell them that we would really like
    10cc
    Sheet Music
    Original Soundtrack
    How Dare You!
    Deceptive Bends
    Bloody Tourists
    Consequences
    L
    Freeze Frame

And anything they'd like to do, in 5.1 please :)

4. Sean Macreavy

Sean Macreavy Well-Known Member

Cheers Nobby! It was, as Paul says, an absolute hoot to make!

5. Sean Macreavy

Hear hear, Mark! Who knows what future digs will uncover? There are precious few rarities though; but some 5.1 projects would be a joy wouldn't they?

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It would put a huge smile on my face

downer, Chris C, recroom and 2 others like this.
  7. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

As a long-time fan who saw the original band first in a university hall and has seen the current touring band several times, I really enjoyed this film. Huge thanks to everyone involved in the project.

I too think that 10cc music is made for surround so here's hoping!

BlairH and Chartstuff like this.
  8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

YouTube just got around to recommending this to me. Thought I'd make sure someone didn't already post it before I did, and since it's been posted, thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Gabzi Nemo likes this.
  9. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

It's about time somebody with a deep love of the band made a decent DVD of 10cc in their heyday. None of the DVDs for sale on Amazon get good reviews

10. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Bonus track:

paulisdead, Ludger and The Bensons like this.
  11. Mr-Beagle

I recall seeing Sean Macreavy and Paul McNulty at Beach Boys Stomp conventions 30 years ago.

12. Chartstuff

You did indeed. Sean and I met properly for the first time at the Stomp convention in 1988. Guess who else we both met that day? Brian Wilson! Thanks to the wonderful efforts of the organisers, he played a surprise set, shook hands with and took time to speak to every single person there. It was quite a day!

Mr-Beagle and edenofflowers like this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

10cc in surround ... I just wet myself! Criminal that at least "Sheet Music" through "How Dare You" isn't eventually done, as each of those would be out of this world in surround, if done well and by someone who "understands" how to mix in surround (Steven Wilson for starters!)

14. ohjason

ohjason Forum Resident

Thoroughly enjoyed the documentary short as it completely warmed my heart. I'm now diving headfirst into the Consequences podcast. Nice work, lads!

15. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

@Sean Macreavy @Chartstuff
    Great little film gents, really enjoyed it! Loved Kev and Graham’s reactions to hearing the jingle. So Lol and Eric have heard it, any word back on their reactions, other than not remembering it?

Also interesting how you guys are really sure it’s Eric singing; just doesn’t fully sound like his voice (at the time) to me. I thought Kev initially but it seems in-between them, for lack of a better term. I honestly hear Graham, Eric and Lol musically in there and could imagine any of their hands in the writing.

I actually like the tune quite a bit. It is a bit sweet, but it seems like it could’ve been worked up into a fine full song, somewhere between Lazy Days and, oh, Waterfall?

Ludger and ohjason like this.
  16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Just watched it earlier this evening. What a treat that was! I was (almost) as excited as they were waiting for the audio to kick in. I love the fact that Kevin and Graham both agreed they were on the recording but couldn't remember a thing about the track! Congrats to @Chartstuff & @Sean Macreavy for getting it all baked and working, it must have been the biggest thrill to hear that new audio after all the uncertainty, waiting and hard work. It's a cracking little tune and production too, totally 10cc.

Thanks for the work and for the documenting of the work, it was a thrill. I too thought it sounded a bit like Kevin on vocals.

Ludger and ohjason like this.
  17. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Great & fun video.
    As always, wonderful work.
    Love the podcast & all things 10cc!

ohjason likes this.
  18. Mr-Beagle

My first visit was in 1989, so you can imagine my disappointment!

How come no Eric or Lol in the video?

19. Chartstuff

Thanks all for your comments. Re who sang it:
    Sean is 100% convinced the vocal is all Eric. I am 95% convinced it is 95% Eric. (If you watch very closely in the film, on first hearing Sean thinks Eric but both Liam and I think it’s Kevin). I revised my opinion after hearing the isolated tracks. Graham himself hears Kevin’s voice ‘in there somewhere’. Sean’s theory is that Eric phrased like Kevin deliberately - with the thought that the latter would come in and sing at least some of it. But why bother when Eric’s lead is so lovely? For another opinion - Lol - who heard it down a phone line - thought it was Graham! ‘The mystery deepens’ as Graham says in the film.

FWIW although they can sound very different, at times Eric and Kevin voices are very similar. It took me nearly 40 years to realise it was Kevin singing Waterfall - not Eric. (And once again Kevin didn’t remember it was him singing that). These people are artists - whose life is in motion. Largely, they put something down - and move on. Leaving us behind to listen and analyse...

20. Chartstuff

1989! Yes ouch!

We invited Eric and Lol to be part of the film (as we have often asked them to contribute to the podcast). Up until now they have always politely declined. Which is their prerogative of course.

21. Mr-Beagle

:cry:

22. Sean Macreavy

Thank you, and hear, hear!

3Dman likes this.
  23. Sean Macreavy

Totally agree, it's lovely, if way too subtle in its chord changes for an advert! Thanks very much.

I can only hear Eric in the lead vocal. It might just boil down to the slightly lispy way he sings the letter 's', but my theory is that he *wanted* KG to share the lead a la Old Wild Men...

3Dman likes this.
  24. Sean Macreavy

Thanking you!

25. Sean Macreavy

Small world Mr Beagle! Who are you, if you don't mind my asking? :- )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.