13 Things You Didn't Know About Sam Goody

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PaulKTF, May 11, 2019.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I found this list of facts about the Sam Goody music store chain and Sam Goody the person (yes, the chain was founded by a "Sam Goody"!).

13 Things You Didn't Know About Sam Goody

I thought this promotion he came up with was really interesting:

clhboa, Dave and Planbee like this.
  2. I can only recall the mall years in the 1990s for Sam Goody. By then prices were pretty high for their stock. I remember browsing there far more than actually purchasing from Sam Goody, which may be why it went out of business.

I will say that Sam Goody was the first place I learned about DCC's gold CDs. I remember their higher-than-normal pricing and putting them back in the rack. Of course, a few years later I'd end up spending much more for the DCCs when they became collectibles.

clhboa likes this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Nice article. I still have a ton of still sealed stuff I bought at Sam Goody's Going Out Of Business sale here in Denver. Someday I'll get around to opening it all!

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

"Some day I'll listen to this". Yeah, i say that too... Good luck. :)

clhboa likes this.
  5. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I haven’t thought about them in years. There was a Sam Goody’s in our local mall when I was in high school. My final memory was when they were phasing out 8 Tracks around 1980 or so and were selling them 4 for a dollar. I hated 8 Tracks, but I picked up Metal Machine Music, Fly and two others for a buck.