13th Floor Elevators' debut album - best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr Sam, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonux

simonux Custom Title

2. simonux

simonux Custom Title

b-b-b-b-b-bump ?

3. simonux

simonux Custom Title

bump from february

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Amazing, I was just a Newburys this morning and discovered the deluxe editions for the first time. They had new copies for three of their albums, including their debut and their first sessions (i.e. what would've been their first album). Will have to try one...

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

i have an italian issue of the debut... on red vinyl no less. i assume this is the preferred pressing?

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No! Sorry

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

and pray tell why not????

8. Raunchnroll

For the debut on vinyl there are only two options to go with: an original (mono preferably) -or- the Sundazed mono which if you read this thread was made from an early copy of the mono master tape. Anything else: dubious / compromised sources.

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

thanks
    oh well.. and I've had such good luck with italian red vinyl...

I will never be able to afford an original though...

I'll give it a listen.. I guess for 8 bucks its ok..

10. Raunchnroll

Originals are pricey of course. The Sundazed is pretty cheap and sounds great; punchy, clean, not far behind the original. Why not get one and compare it to your red vinyl? I mean if you like the red...cool....but this way you can decide which one to keep, get a little back on the lesser one, and you're not out much. Maybe the price of a good sandwich & a shake.

11. serge

serge Forum Resident

thanks.
    that is true.. I will think about it.. I've not actually heard the album yet.. such a cool cover and I know its considered a classic.. If I like it I will probably want the sundazed.

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well....I've got two copies...the mono Sundazed which is great and a totally ridiculous "Collector's Edition" I had to have in 1999: A picture disc with a large poster. Sounds bad but since that cover looks cool on the disc and the poster I'm glad I bought it...

13. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

i have and like the mono sundazed lp…traded my red vinyl stereo copy away to amoeba

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I quite like my Sundazed mono, even just for the novelty. Doesn't sound nearly as good as the rip I have of an original IA mono though.

*cough* amazing new set of rips "out there" too

15. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I think they're just repackaging of the recent CD's, accept for the "Live" album which didn't come out on its own.

Buy the 2-CD versions instead, though, for the Mono/Stereo versions.

17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I bought the Sundazed vinyl mono edition a couple years ago and was very happy with it.

I've recently purchased the 2-disc Charley reissues, the ones in the book-bound packages. I know Charley is unscrupulous in its business practices and I'm assuming these "new" masters were lifted from the authorized box set from a few years ago. Has anyone made a comparison? They sound pretty good to my ears, but I've never heard the box set. I had trouble trying to order it on-line when it was available and finally gave up in frustration... I've talked myself out of collectors-price purchases in the years since.

18. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

Thanks, i was checking those out but i can only find one of them (Easter Everywhere) that specifically indicates that there is Mono versions included. still looking for the others. If you have links (or another source besides amazon) please send.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes indeed, best yet by my reckoning ;)

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Bottom line on the new Charly's:

Contact Sessions: dropouts galore, wrong mixes.

Singles: The needledrops range from okay to crappy.

Psychedelic Sounds: Stereo is the same old phasey mess it's always been on CD, Mono is quite listenable but NR'd. Stereo "Desk mixes" have added reverb. Also, random digital clicks.

Easter Everywhere: Stereo is from a better source for a few songs, but for the rest it's the same old reverby, screwed up tape as the old CDs. Mono is quite listenable, but with a bit too much NR.

In other words, there are better sources out there for almost ALL of the material on the Charly sets.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Woods-13...=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334704450&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Headstone-Ses...=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334704450&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/7th-Heaven-Mu...=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334704450&sr=1-9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.