150$ fuse drive me crazy

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harby

harby Forum Resident

I just saw this meme through happenstance

[​IMG]

Jim N., hvbias, Helom and 2 others like this.
  2. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

^Damn! Beat me to it!

Quantum is a word which I rarely see correctly used unless by a physicist. If you see it attached to pretty much any commercial product, especially related to hi-fi, run in the direction of away.

Helom, vwestlife and Gumboo like this.
  3. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Come on Everybody

I have no association with Synergistic Research or any of its dealers with no monetary incentive.

I am just a semi - retired audiophile with 40 years of audio experience back to 1978.

I bough Garrard turntable, Fisher Integrated, ADS bookself speaker which was my first system in 1978.

I admit that my expression of "magic" may be too strong.

But I got the impression.

If my first impression turn out to be wrong, I mean if sound deteriorate after one week, I am willing to return 150 $ fuse.

But so far, it still sound fine.

Hear yourself.

All tweaks are dependent on system.

It may not work in your system.

I also urge Synergistic Research to abide by the promise of 30 days’ return policy as one of leader company in high end industry.

hi_watt and 33na3rd like this.
  4. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Efuse Link

HIFISTATEMENT | netmagazine - HIGH END 2018: Messerundgang mit Wolfgang Kemper – Teil 1

Solingen Germany is home to the company Efuse, which promises more security and, above all, more sound for hi-fi devices through Efuse components. The concept is that the device-internal power fuse is replaced by a rhodium-plated solid copper bolt. The mains fuse is replaced externally by the electronic Efuse system integrated in a high-quality power cable. This responds more sensitively to overvoltages and should evidently contribute to sound improvement. An alternative for this with each 1495 € to beech beating individual solution is a power strip for eight devices with inrush current limit for 2695 euros, for which an increase in sound is also promised.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

It is simply amazing how much a lighter wallet tends to improve one's hearing.

6. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

7. thomaskong

That looks crazy!

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This looks like no warranty after installing.

Fishoutofwater and thomaskong like this.
  9. thomaskong

I agree with you in that this can void warranty.

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

That and age.

11. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I added a synergistic blue fuse to my LM508IA. I was willing to take the chance that I was wasting my time and money... I live in NYC. I waste more money than that on Ubers every month when I'm too lazy or drunk to catch a train home.
    But, it turned out to not be a waste. Somehow, some way, the amp ran quieter and with greater authority.
    Something I never believed in when I got into this hobby was audiophile power cables. But one night, I was drinking a lot, yes this is a theme for me, and got really into my equipment and music. I decided to order a Grover Huffman Empress power cable. Turned out to be a totally sweet upgrade for this amp. I have NO CLUE why it makes a difference. I really don't. I just know it does. And an easily noticeable and enjoyable difference at that. The cable upgrade was a bigger difference than many of the tubes I've rolled in and out.
    So I say, if you got the money, and you got the curiosity, take a shot and see.

12. thomaskong

I am happy that you got the good result with SR Blue fuse and LM508.

Same thing happened to my LM 508.

I ordered one more Blue fuse and it will get here tomorrow.

Then I will try it with my EMMLab Dac2.

I had also tried out many Power cables including Aualysis Plus.

I will also compare Analysis Plus with Synergistic Blue power cables which will get here tomorrow.

jfeldt likes this.
  13. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

<———- my reaction to this dopey thread

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

An audio quality fuse makes no sense to me. It is too small to have any filtering effect, but it is the highest resistance in the AC line. That resistance is close to zero though. The poster stated he heard an immediate difference. So, although I am an electrical engineer and cannot imagine any difference in-between different manufactures of fuses there must be something to it. I do not know if the change is expected or real.

15. thomaskong

I agree with your opinion from the point of EE engineer.

There must be some other thing that act like filter of noise.

That is my guess.

16. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The reason why replacing the fuse might make your system sound better is because if the original fuse has been in there since the amplifier was new, 10 or 20 years ago, it might have oxidized contacts. And just by the process of removing the old fuse and putting in the new one, you're scraping those contacts clean and reducing their resistance and electrical noise.

So instead of spending $150 on an "audiophile" fuse, try simply removing your existing fuse and putting it back in, and check if that also gives you a sudden improvement in sound quality. :)

Fishoutofwater and harby like this.
  17. thomaskong

Your statement make sense for some system, I clean all electric contacts at least once a year using contact cleaner called "Kontak".

My LM 508 are only 2 weeks old. One day after I got it, I changed the stock fuse into HPA German fuse which cost me 40 dollars.

The sound got refined with smooth treble after change of fuse.

Then one week after, I replaced 40$ fuse with 150% blue fuse.

The sound change drastically not just more refined but fast rhythm out of my system.

Thus your statement does not apply to my case.

18. thomaskong

Most ordinary person will have same face like this hearing the price of this fuse.

vwestlife likes this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

Or up-size the "tiny internal wire fuse" with a 15 amp AGC fuse -- reducing the fuse's resistance and interaction in the power supply circuit (while giving minimum protection). Sticker optional.

4A:
    [​IMG]
    10A:

[​IMG]

20A:
    [​IMG]

20 amps, as seen in microwaves, should be the largest on a standard US 120V plug. (120 volt fuses above 10A typically have a ceramic tube so you can't see the wire.)

This upgrade can be A/B compared against an esoteric fuse, for $2 in any hardware store.

20. thomaskong

You do not need 150$ fuse, even 5$ silver fuse can make noticeable difference.

1x hifi Silver Alloy Fuse Gold Cap 5x20mm 1A 2A 3.15A 4A,5A 6x32mm 5A Slow blow | eBay

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Two words for all this - Snake Oil.

22. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Yeahbut...They use "Inductive Quantum Coupling methods" (their capitals), which must be A Thing, even though a search on Google Scholar brings up nada, zilch, sod all, naff all, nothing, not a single hit.

Must track down a tame physicist and ask them.

Helom and vwestlife like this.
  23. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

People like me are probably their target market. If I've dropped 40k on my system, and if their was even a slight chance that 125 bucks might somehow make ANY positive difference, I admit, I'd bite.
    The time I'd waste reading up on and trying to figure out whether if it's a waste or not is worth way more than 125 bucks. I know myself. I'd piss away a lot of time. I bought a fuse, thought about all of an hour and have never really thought about it again. Until now.
    A fuse is definitely the most ridiculous sounding thing I've ever purchased for audio, but not even close to the most ridiculous thing I've spent money on. Any current or former gym rat knows what I'm talking about with the world of supplements out there.
    Or fellow foodies who crap out their 100 steak the next morning. Organic kentucky bluegrass fed beef. Raised affectionately, by a farmer who sang to them every morning while leading them out of the barn. Did it taste better than the 15 dollar steak I ate at the local pub? Who cooked it matters more in reality.
    I digress. Any thread that has anything to do with fuses, cables, and the like is just "snake oil" bait. For me, it's truly a matter of - who the hell cares!? There's just so many more important things to care about, spend time thinking about, and enjoying.
    Last night I spent hours listening to the entire 4 LP Clifford Brown/Max Roach Emarcy album set. I continued to think about it when I went to bed, and then woke up thinking about how exquisite the music was. I can't wait to go home tonight and listen to them all over again! That's the kind of audio thing I want to spend hours pondering.

rischa likes this.
  24. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

But the thing is, if you're spending several thousands of dollars on an amplifier, don't you think the manufacturer would have already included one of these "audiophile" fuses if they really believed it would make their system sound better?

It's just all those magnetic fuel saving devices that claim to improve the fuel economy of your car -- the auto manufacturers are under such pressure from the EPA and from their competition to maximize their gas mileage that if those things really did work as advertised, you can be sure they would already be included as standard equipment.

basie-fan, Helom and Blank Frank like this.
  25. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Don't know, man. You'd think so.
    They also often tube the amps with super cheap tubes which are easily upgraded at a relatively modest cost. Especially the small signal ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.