$1500 for an Empty Box

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioAddict, Jun 23, 2022.

1. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident Thread Starter

McIntosh has announced a new product, the LB200, an empty box with their name on it selling for $1500. Presumably to put a "less impressive" component inside and dress it up to match the McIntosh standard:

A Box of NOTHING from McIntosh: The LB200 – Industry News | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

This is over-the-top audiophile nonsense and deserving of comment. It tells the story about M's new ownership intent. Goodbye, McIntosh!

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is that for real?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. AudioAddict

The source is as quoted -- ToneAudio Magazine as found on The Daily Audiophile. Real as that world is, I suppose.

CBackley likes this.
  4. My guess is that supply-chain issues kept this from being available on April 1st...

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a joke to me! ; )

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

More shops should start doing their slogans at 38 pt on faceplates, tho.

Harris11235 likes this.
  7. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I have no interest in owning one at that price but I'm guessing no one has seen the prices that empty vintage audio cardboard boxes have been fetching. With that in mind the LB200's price doesn't seem out of line at all.

8. Michael

I have not! can you please tell us...thanks...

longdist01 and Lenny99 like this.
  9. AudioAddict

McIntosh has shown its new face with its new ownership and the brand has immediately become a laughingstock. Took no time at all.

Aftermath, gd0, MC Rag and 8 others like this.
  10. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 I don't feel tardy

Yeah they jumped the shark.

11. motorstereo

The $1,500 LB100 has been around since 2018 so this has nothing to do with their new ownership.

12. motorstereo

I don't actually follow empty box pricing but I've seen some for the 70's Pioneer sx series that had me shaking my head in disbelief.

Sneaky Pete, hi_watt, olson and 2 others like this.
  13. Michael

gotcha! thanks...

motorstereo likes this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think posters here are being far too cynical. That is one fine looking empty box which one could display with pride until which time you had something to put in it.

Frankly, I don't think people here know what this beautiful component -- um, box -- is meant to do:

"Have you spent a lot of time creating a beautiful McIntosh home audio system only to have it tarnished with an unsightly cable or streaming box, satellite receiver, or other non-premium looking electronic components? Then the LB200 Light Box could be exactly what you need to enhance the look of your stereo system."

Damn those unsightly non-premium components tarnishing the look of my system.

Somehow I think cuing up The Beach Boys fits here:

15. guestuser

guestuser Forum Resident

16. Hagstrom

Hagstrom I hate Billy Joel, Rush and Queen.

No need for anyone to check their website. It's a real product.

LB200 Light Box

17. woody

woody Forum Resident

It’s where you put your stash.

18. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Finally, a worthwhile use!

Slimpickens likes this.
  19. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't know . . . is it better or worse than a $10,000 power cord? The whole audio marketplace has gone bonkers, at least the high-priced end of it.

P.S. If you want a 20A IEC end, there's a $25 upcharge!

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Guys, it’s a damping device…

Jimi Floyd and vwestlife like this.
  21. BackScratcher

BackScratcher Forum Resident

And it's "Sold Out"!?

aoxomoxoa, Tim 2, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  22. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

This has been out for awhile. Absolutely kills me every time I see one in someone’s equipment rack. What a joke. A $1500 Pet Rock.

23. AudioAddict

Euphanism for "how many suckers are there out there? And will enough of them order to make it worthwhile to produce."
    Checked on EBay and there are no McIntosh LB100s for sale. Apparently the past buyers have been holding on to their empty boxes.
    And, after all, there is not much that can go wrong with an empty box, right? Seems a 3-year warranty is a bit too short for this kind of nothingness.

Pondoro, Lenny99 and vwestlife like this.
  24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

You seem to be one of those envyus type of site dwellers.
    For starters, who wrote that dumb article you posted? I don't see a name attached to it was it you and this thread is clickbait?. No name probably because, who writes like that and want others to know their name? They also are pretty ignorant not to know this is nothing new that McIntosh just thought up.

I don't know when it was made but McIntosh has a vintage equipment size lamp box that I think now a days goes for around $2000 that is called the McIntosh R778 Dealer Display Light. Might have been from the 80s I think.

[​IMG]

They also had the LB100

[​IMG]
    And now it looks like the dummy writer thinks these light boxes are something new with this LB200. The only thing new about this one is a removable back you can hide cords in.

[​IMG]

Tim 2, 5-String and punkmusick like this.
  25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It costs more than a decent turntable. The language they use on their website is so pretentious, it's hilarious. Like the Country Club stopping you from sitting down without a proper sport coat on. They will gladly loan you one so you appear acceptable to their members.