180 gram vinyl Kinks reissues from Earmark

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Sorry to leave you hanging! ... Anyway, as we had begun to guess, the Earmark "Something Else" is mono & obviously shares a mastering genealogy with the (disliked) 1998 Castle CD. It does not sound nice to me; and besides, I really insist on stereo for this record! (Real wide '60s stereo, practically discrete stereo...)

Feh. However it redeems the experience to think I'm saving Forum members some trouble!

2. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Well, they must be, since the Reprise CD is entirely stereo, yes? Or did the Swedes use different mixes? - Don't get me wrong; "Village Green" will probably always sound like it was mastered on American cheese and left out in the rain on a gravel road. But I like my Kinks stereophonic. Sigh.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

l'il fred, Please help me learn. I have the same lp, it says 1998 Castle Communications, the label on the outside sleeve says 180g virgin vinyl. I can find nothing on the lp about a mastering credit, where is that. Also the only place I have been able to find anything about it being all analog is on Red Trumpet's website. Where did you find the Earmark PR? :confused:

4. JWB

JWB New Member

All of the mixes are the same except "Walter" and "People Take Pictures" which have annoying tambourine overdubs. The Swedish mixes are preferable in those two cases.

5. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

For those of you joining us now, it's the new Earmark Something Else by the Kinks we're talking about.

ALP, the mastering credit is on the right panel of the inner gatefold, in the small print under the track listings. At the end of the paragraph that begins "Photography courtesy of ..."

The PR about all-analog I've seen repeated word-for-word on other sites besides Red Trumpet, so Red Trumpet must be copying the PR that was supplied to them; all I did was Google "earmark kinks". (It's normal for record retailers to simply copy down the PR that's sent to them, but sometimes I wish they'd test the hypothesis!)

Hope this helps,

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

l'il fred, Thanks, I must be blind in one eye and cannot see out the other to have missed the mastering credit :cry: As far as the sound quality goes (I realize it is mono or near mono) I cannot say that I have ever heard no-noise, but I have heard it described as being like playing a cassette with the wrong Dolby noise selection which I have heard. I did not hear anything like that on the three Kinks lp's that I have from Earmark

7. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

ALP, I'm not really up on what was done to make the Earmark LPs anyway -- it is not the worst sound I ever heard at all. I'm just disappointed that it (apparently) replicates something I bought on CD five years ago and disliked. (Leaving aside the all-analog claim.)

If you like these Earmark LPs, there's really no gainsaying that! I myself am disappointed this series is sourced from the CDs... why pass through the digital stage, when what we want is vinyl sound! But some collectors really liked the Castle LPs that appeared alongside the CDs, and these seem very similar.

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

MANY THANKS to all that contributed to this thread (specially lil.fred).
    BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.