180 gram vinyl vs. original LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JolidaFan, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. As I said, I wasn’t sure myself...

2. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

There’s something deeply satisfying about flipping a slab of heavyweight vinyl when the first side has come to an end, but most of my best sounding records are (?120g) 1960s/1970s originals.

BrettyD likes this.
  3. I prefer original LPs over the 180 gram releases. I've heard a couple of them that have had a lot of hiss in between tracks, so I haven't been to impressed with the few that I've heard.

WMTC likes this.
  4. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I have heard plenty of original pressings that are crap, too. It still comes down to who mastered the record, and where it was cut and pressed. Always. New or old, doesn't matter.

I think I prefer 140/160g records over 180g because they're usually flat and centered correctly correctly. After that, it comes down to mastering and quality control.

I just picked up Fleetwood Mac Tango at Walmart for $17.99, mastered by Chris Bellman on 140g vinyl and it's perfectly centered and perfectly flat. I call it a win.

WMTC likes this.
  5. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I know 180g is looked at as new but it feels to me like some of my old LPs from the 50s and early 60s are just as thick and heavy. Were some of them 180g back then?

6. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

I have some ’70s vinyl that weigh about as much a feather, you know those RCA dynaflex records, yet they sound EPIC.

I would prefer less weight and more mastering going forward...

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's in the mastering; nothing to do with the thickness of the vinyl.

Steve Bromsgrove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.