1899 on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Old Mac, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the creators of Dark, it's a twisty SF series that just popped up on Netflix a few days ago. For those who liked Dark, it's a no-brainer watch. My wife, who had trouble with Dark's complicated story line and cast of characters, was enthralled with it so we watched the whole darn thing last night. We both loved it. Just wondering if anybody else has seen it yet. We used English with subtitles because there's a multi-national cast. Also it's a tad dark visually (seems to be a current trend) so I put the Samsung on torch (yeah I know but it's pretty...ahem... dark in places.) It uses the virtual volume system which is explained in the making of documentary. Quite a stepup from green screen. Highly recommended!

Vidiot and Bruce Racket like this.
  2. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Bump. Int.

3. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

Since Dark is one of my top 5 to shows I obviously watched it. It didn’t disappoint. Great storyline, great acting, a touch of sci-fi. Recommended.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

On my list.

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Watched the first couple of episodes, seems like it is similar to Dark in that it is pretty slow to get going and a bit confusing but should be well worth it.

Dark and Utopia (UK) are my two favorite lesser known conspiracy/scifi style of shows.

Stencil and Square Hammer like this.
  6. slybry2

slybry2 Forum Resident

Dark and now this are on my to watch list.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This one is next on my list to watch.

8. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Based on your good opinions guys, we watched the first episode last night but I'm afraid we're already out.

Vinylspinner likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Same…although the end was at least sorta interesting.

mcnpauls likes this.
  10. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I liked the atmosphere aboard the ship, but I just think I am too old to bear with slowly paced series that look like they might be hoping for several seasons now.

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I watched the whole series and would say it's worth watching the second episode to the end before deciding to bail, but to do so after that if you feel the same.

I enjoyed it but we've seen similar from different stories/films before though not exactly in this form.

It's not at the same level as Dark to me but Dark also got better in the subsequent season.

Old Mac likes this.
  12. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand where you're coming from. It does start slowly but as the mystery unveils itself, it becomes more interesting. There's some WTF moments later that caught me by surprise. A slow start but worth watching to the end. Is the pacing slow or deliberate? Both, I think, but it's an interesting ride.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This makes Lost look like a Hallmark holiday special on Lifetime.

Stencil and Vidiot like this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We liked the first episode and will continue. Frankly, the pacing is part of what makes it good. The Jefferson Airplane tune seems to partly reveal what's going on.

kanakaris and Vidiot like this.
  15. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

Watch "The Devil In Ohio" on Netflix. Fantastic!

Vinylspinner likes this.
  16. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the series Dark. Looking forward to watching 1899 with family over Thanksgiving.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I just caught the first episode of the new show and was very impresssed. I thought it was evocative, realistic, and moody as hell. The LED studio (which surround the ship set) look just about perfect to me: I'd totally believe it was a ship at sea. It's clearly a complex show, with different characters speaking at least 5 or 6 different languages -- I was warned in advance not to watch the English dubbed version -- but we're enjoying the voyage so far.

It's particularly funny when you consider the show takes place almost 70 years before the song was released... and there's two different versions of the song, plus "All Along the Watchtower." But then, time-travel and mixing things up with alternate realities has been the producers' forte for awhile.

For those who need a taste, here's the preview...

hvbias, Old Mac and unclefred like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

...:hide:

Finished it last night. Does anyone else feel like it was almost a REALLY long set-up for Season 2?

19. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

It does seem like a season 2 will be a totally different beast while still the same. I was kind of meh for the first two episodes. It felt over the top and like there was some weird PAL conversion glitches in the video. But the end of the second episode convinced me and Im glad it did.

Old Mac likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yeah this may be one of those shows I have to re-watch right away.

21. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I agree. There are a few questions I have that most likely would be answered in a rewatch. Or maybe not. The last episode seemed to hint there were a few different agendas at work here, so there might not be a clear answer for some of my questions till season 2.

22. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think I'm up to epi. 5. Things are starting to get revealed and boy, I'm glad I have fast forward on my remote. :)

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I enjoyed it. But i do hope it doesn’t go the way of the Dome, where it just gets even wierder and then the show get’s cancelled.

24. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

Raised by Wolves on Apple TV. One of the best sci-fi series I have ever seen. Canceled.

25. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Great series. Looks beautiful, clever use of music, epic ending.