1917 (Sam Mendes Film - Christmas 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

15 certificate
    Some country’s 12.
    Didn’t think it was brutal myself.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Right after they go over the wall, they are in a huge bomb crater, and there are body parts, guts and dead horses. That's really the worst of it.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I enjoyed the movie but the style it was presented in felt a little gimmicky to me.

4. alexpop

Best to stick with the deaging in The Irishman. :)

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There are no intestines in this. The goriest part would be when someone is walking through a field hospital and you see some open leg and arm wounds. Gruesome, but its quick. This is not a gore movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. alexpop

No one seen the film? Perfectly explained in this thread. :)

7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Saw it on IMAX today, I haven't watched Marriage Story, Parasite, or The Irishman yet but my gut feeling is that this should be a shoo-in for at least best director if not best film as well.

8. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Saw it last night with the missus. Enjoyed it a lot. It's superbly filmed and all-round very well crafted. I don't think it's groundbreaking in any other way. A superior war film which probably deserves the recognition of the academy for its technical achievements.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Was not super enthusiastic about seeing this, but it really is a good and well crafted movie. 100% I took the ride. Even got weepy by the end.

10. Walking. Some kicking footballs. 19,240 British KIA the first day.

It wasn't all open ground, though. My great-grandfather, for instance, went over the first day, but his battalion was headed straight for a wooded area that separated them from the Germans. Casualties were lighter, but unlike some, they didn't withdrawal, so they spent a sleepless night in the woods with Germans trying to fish them out.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Have tickets to see 1917 on Monday. Not particularly interested in seeing most war films, for the most part, but from the few clips I've seen - and all the great press about the cinematography, I've decided to go.

It's not that I won't go to any war films, but I try to be pretty selective about the ones I see. I expect to keep part of my brain engaged in considering the filmmaking that went into it, for as long as I can keep it up. I suppose I may miserably in that, but that's where my heads at about it now.

12. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Besides All Quiet On the Western Front (original and remake), I like The Blue Max. The Red Baron (2008), the Lost Battalion (2001), and Flyboys (2006) are not bad. Joyeux Noel is brilliant.

13. Did you lose a bet? Because it sounds like your girlfriend is making you go see it. :D

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  14. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film and was impressed by the way the story was told. It felt like it was happening in real time. I left at the beginning of the credits, so I guess the Beatles connection was after that?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Veey good companion piece to They Shall Not Grow Old and brilliantly filmed, go see on big screen.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I found this to be a very good film. It's probably the best one I've seen in terms of portraying the conditions of the trenches in WWI. The camera work and sets were fantastic. I must concur that one should see this on the big screen to get the full effect of the cinematography and use of the 'one shot' trick. It's an interesting perspective for sure. For a war movie, it's not overly violent, but it's certainly harrowing. To be in that war must have been pure hell (even when you weren't fighting). The conditions just looked dreadful.

I think WWI is one of the most misunderstood wars in the 20th century. The reasons for it unclear, the loosely based alliances murky, and the military strategy somewhat mind boggling. I've always been interested in it, but still don't know a hell of a lot about it.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. '1917' blew my mind. It is both a gripping yarn & a technical marvel of cinema. Definitely a must-see for fans of great movie-making.

18. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

A book I would recommend is Ernst Jünger's "Storm Of Steel", a harrowing eyewitness account of the war in the trenches. It provides an even bleaker picture of the war than Erich Maria Remarque's classic "All Quiet On The Western Front".

EVOLVIST and GodShifter like this.
  19. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I went a second time to take in more of the technical aspects of the cinematography. The one moment that stands out above the rest for me was the shot from the window that reveals the city as lit by flares floating overhead. This nightmarish yet beautiful visual is supported by a fantastic musical score. It's jaw dropping.

I wonder if anyone else was bothered by the river crossing under fire by the sniper. The sniper had him pinned down and he kept recklessly sticking his head up. Wouldn't a trained soldier have moved to a different position, enabling him to return fire with less risk?

20. alexpop

Sniper could have been reloading.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. alexpop

Best film “Oscar” award ?
    Good chance.

22. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

If you want to know more I highly recommend this YouTube series that goes through the entire war week by week - the channel also does other videos about myriad topics related to the war; personalities, tactics, weapons etc etc

Here's the playlist for 1914

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

being a lover of film i am truly finding very difficult to even want to see '1917', it has to be because of my disdain for war movies, coupled with it being from 100 year ago, tripled with it being very english oriented (from what i've read). and lots and lots of CGI, which i also am not a fan of.

maybe when it gets to DVD.

24. Not my girlfriend; my wife!! :D

We did go see 1917 last weekend, and we thought it was a powerful film. I really appreciated that the entire movie wasn't people yelling, and I didn't feel like the movie tried to unnecessarily 'beat me up' -- though I was pretty worn out by the time it was over (but only appropriately so).

Quite an impressive film.

Chris DeVoe and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Yes, I remember thinking the same thing... There have been a few things strange like that, while I was in awe with the technical filming, my son kept asking some reasonable questions about the story...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.