1963 Full-Track Van Gelder "Master"??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2xUeL, Jan 19, 2014.

1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Except for titles like the Coltrane/Johnny Hartman album where the mono lacks the overdubs found on the stereo.

Greenmonster2420 and jdw like this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I have no idea how these sessions were recorded. Was a mono machine going in tandem with stereo? I don't know.

However, was it impossible? No:

original session - simultaneous recording to mono* and stereo
    overdub session - simultaneous recording of playback of original session stereo recording+live overdubs to mono and stereo

* original session mono recording would be unused/unnecessary once overdubs were required

Was it done that way? I don't know. But saying the mono *couldn't* have been made during the session is incorrect.

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That's not exactly the situation AFAIK. A version of the stereo LP was also released without the overdubs. It was the original release and has since been reissued from time to time (as on the Verve Originals CD). Later it was withdrawn, along with the "underdub" mono version. There were four versions of the LP released in 1963/4:

Original stereo release (no overdubs)
    Original mono release (no overdubs)
    Second stereo release (with overdubs)
    Second mono release (with overdubs)

A similar thing happened with Ascension (two different takes each released in stereo & mono) and Live at Birdland (false start & non-false start versions of "Alabama"). Four versions of each LP during the original US run.

So just because the copy of the mono that you've heard lacks the overdubs doesn't mean that there isn't a copy that has them. It is my understanding that mono with overdubs does exist.

See also Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Charlie Mariano's alto parts are all overdubs. They are on all versions of the LP.

Wouldn't that scenario require incredibly unreliable and labor-intensive live syncing of the mono and stereo tapes?

jdw and crispi like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No. As I stated:

5. Maggie

My mistake, I misread your post. In any case, I don't believe that's actually what happened.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why not? My understanding is that was often common practice.

7. Maggie

Because this thread is the first I've heard of it. Although I guess that's a dumb reason to believe otherwise. We do know that RVG had different practices for different labels.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

How can one differentiate between the original and second releases? Deadwax, labels? I've had a few original stereo copies and they all had the overdubs.

9. Maggie

Can't help with that, sorry. The original release was corrected so quickly that there are probably far more copies with overdubs than without, but I believe they all have the same labels. Not sure about deadwax.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sorry for a bit off topic. I found an interesting testimony by Alfred Lion. He planed a concert for promoting Blue Note Records with Art Blakey which would result as A Night at Birdland.
    Initially he had no idea to record the concert since there was no way for him to record a live concert then. Incidentally he knew that Ampex would sell a portable recorder. The price as he remembered was $800.
    It was a big budget for BN. Lion made an offer to Rudy. "If you pay the half of the price, I will always ask you to record all the live recordings for Blue Note, and you could use the ampex for other clients of you."

wellers73, crispi and MMM like this.
  12. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Any info on where the HDtracks release of this album is sourced from? It's the only version of this LP I currently own and it sounds STUNNING. I've seen bits and pieces on this site claiming
    it to be from a recently uncovered master tape but no concrete info.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Care to tell what album you’re asking about? The last post on this thread is from 5 years ago and there have been several albums discussed here…

jdw likes this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Seeing this only now. So you mean there is a true stereo LP cut of Soultrane out there? I guess you mean this one:

https://www.discogs.com/release/8161694-John-Coltrane-With-Red-Garland-Soultrane

It’s marked ”electronically remastered for stereo“ on the cover but comment on Discogs says it’s actually mono. I haven’t heard it.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I’ve since had a copy of that and it sounds like a mono tape played back on a stereo deck as there is very subtle L & R only noticeable when the mono button is pushed but it’s not stereo.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    crispi and mikeyt like this.