1970 RAM DEMOS Listing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Sean, my guess is that Paul's "team" knows less about Paul's material and release history, bootleg and otherwise than many of us do. We in these Paul threads obsess about this stuff but I would guess many people actually involved in the reissues get involved in loopy ways just like people hired in any business.

These are people paid to do a job and are brought in with various areas of expertise (maybe) or are brought in because Paul or whoever hires these people likes/trusts them, or for other business reasons.

Therefore, in summation :)D ) I'm going to say they are making it up as they go along. Nobody there is losing any sleep over the "It's Not True" single mix.
    That's your job.:wave:

2. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

:agree:

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I actually really, really doubt that, Glenn. I have no personal knowledge of the makeup of Paul's team, but we DO know that he has top-notch people working on the remastering end, so I'm assuming he has top-notch people doing research and vault cataloging. (Remember, he's got HP involved in this stuff too, for the cloud thing.) When I hold one of those gorgeous deluxe books in my hands, I just can't believe that Paul is ringing up temp agencies looking for bodies to crank these things out. I think a lot of care and consideration is going into all aspects of it.

Plus, I'm sure you've seen some of the stuff that has leaked out of this process -- not just the info that etcetera has posted (which can be disputed up until it does or doesn't come true), but the PHYSICAL evidence, the scans of j-cards and tape boxes, etc. These folks know WAY more than we do about Paul's archives.

Let's just say that if the Press To Play deluxe set comes out and the "It's Not True" single mix is NOT on it ........ there's gonna be trouble. :sigh:

theMess likes this.
  4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

By the way, why on earth are the regular and 2cd editions of the Macca reissues so expensive in the UK? :shake:

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Maybe Sean. I hope so. I'm not suggesting that they are hiring temps to sort this stuff out. I'm suggesting that unlike many of us, some of the people might have had to get up to speed concerning his extensive catalog. They might be good people and have access to things we don't have access to but that doesn't guarantee that they obsess about this like we do. The proof one way or another will become evident as we see what the next batches of deluxes
    contain I guess.

I'll hope for your sake that the "It's Not True" single mix is on the deluxe . I don't want your blood pressure to soar to dangerous levels. :D

theMess likes this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh. Well, that may be true, but it's still different than the Archive series.

7. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

If I were Paul's archivist I'd try to make up his mind about the demos. I'd say that he could at least serve the hardcore fans with 4 or 5 raritiets per pack, instead of making the faithful people waiting for a box that might never materialise this decade. Or century!

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, after three albums we're missing the promo edits of Band On The Run and Jet, the promo mono mixes of them (and Helen Wheels) and also the Radio Slave Edit(s) of Temporary Secretary, so I don't think you can expect this series to be quite that definitive.

But if It's Not True (7" mix) isn't on that Press To Play reissue, I'll be joining you on the barricades :)

theMess likes this.
  9. macca728

macca728 Forum Resident

or before most of his fans are dead.

10. Sean Murdock

I suppose not, but I think we can agree that some are more important than others. I can live without the "Band On The Run" edit, but skipping the "Letting Go" remix would really be a huge omission, imo. Was the promo mono mix of "Helen Wheels" a dedicated mono mix, or just a fold-down? I didn't think anything after the Ram / "Another Day" issues was true mono.

:thumbsup:

11. Paul H

Absolutely agree. I'm not sure, however, that I agree that all remixes/edits will be included. I think they're including everything that was released. (Remember, the promo edit of Waterfalls was issued on Wingspan.)

Don't know. I suspect they were all fold downs.

I do think that the plan (if, indeed, it exists) to reissue the albums with previously booted material (in better quality, of course) is a cunning one. Throw in a couple of unbooted morsels and they've covered all bases.

12. Sean Murdock

I'm guessing (hoping) that remixes will have priority over edits, if they are choosing what to omit. I'll take an otherwise irreplaceable mix ("Letting Go," "It's Not True") over an edit that any of us could perform on our computers if we wanted to ("Rock Show," etc.)

Yeah, I'm not going to shed any tears for missing fold-down "mono" radio versions. The "Another Day" single and the Ram radio LP were, I believe, Paul's last dedicated mono mixes. (Until perhaps the "No Other Baby" CD single, but I'm not sure if that was real or a foldie.)

One can hope -- bring on RAM!!

13. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I'm really curious whether all of the eighties remixes will come out with their respective albums. Will the remix of "Angry" be on Press To Play? All of those costly imports I used to search down? Will those come out? In a way, I don't think one can understand PTP and FITD without all the extra stuff.

theMess likes this.
  14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Funny how this is the stuff we never listen to (seriously, who ever listens to the "Spies Like Us" or "Talk More Talk" remixes these days?), and yet we'd all feel cheated if they were not included on the "Press To Play" remaster.

15. Sean Murdock

If Press To Play were released 20 years later, all of those remixes wouldn't have been scattered about on 45s and 12-inch singles -- they would have been released six months later as their own album: "Press To Play: The Remixes." Forget about leaving any out -- I think they deserve their own DISC in the deluxe set.

It's true that some of those remixes seemed kind of pointless, because they were the "80s" thing to do, but others are totally valid and worthy of preservation. The single mix of "Press" and the b-side mix of "Angry" spring to mind. For those who think "Only Love Remains" wasn't sugary enough, the single remix of that one will be right up your alley! :winkgrin:

theMess likes this.
  16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Eh... I do. When I listen to Press To Play, I usually listen to the extra stuff as well. For years I tagged those songs to the end of my PTP tape, or CDR, or playlist.

Another essential remix is "Pretty Little Head", with Paul's vocal either added, or raised in the mix.

theMess likes this.
  17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Absolutely... I have compiled my own CD-R versions of "Press To Play" and "Flowers In The Dirt (3 full CD each!) and even if I hardly ever listen to those remixes I'm glad there are represented rather than not.

For "Spies Like Us", too bad Paul never released (well, it was never officially released but it's available "out there") one of those remixes he did that uses parts of his original demo, and that is vastly superior to any of the released 12" mixes.

theMess likes this.
  18. Paul H

I do. Just yesterday I put the finishing touches to a playlist of that material and had a wonderful hour in the company of my "alternative" Press To Play. I know many here frown on the production and point blank don't like many of the songs, but I'm not one of them. Sure, some of the remixes are fairly pointless (Tough On A Tightrope and It's Not True remixes were greatly inferior to the originals) but Press, Pretty Little Head, Angry and Talk More Talk were all remixed in a worthwhile way.

Press To Play works well because all the material issued with it was recorded during the sessions; there's a consistency, a togetherness.

That can't be said for some of the other albums: Flaming Pie featured bonus material that had little to do with the final album and Flowers In The Dirt featured such a mishmash of bonus material (some songs from the Russian Album sessions, a song from the abandoned Phil Ramone sessions, a re-recording, a fistful of remixes, some rehearsals...) that I find it hard to put together a coherent collection. That's not to say that someone else couldn't. If one added in some unreleased material to bulk things out (how about ALL the tracks from the Put It There documentary rehearsals?) and added the material that was issued around Flaming Pie one could easily compile an excellent 3-disc set.

But we're getting well off-topic :)

theMess likes this.
  19. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I uploaded most of the mixes on my ipod, so that it gets easier to listen to those things these days.

20. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Totally agree that putting the "Flowers In The Dirt" bonus material at the right place will prove to be a logistical nightmare. Same with "Flaming Pie".
    But at the time, we were happy to have unreleased material on b-sides, 7" and 12" singles, no matter if it came from unrelated recording sessions.

But where should the 1985 mix of "My Carnival" go in the reissue process? On "Press To Play", or on "Venus And Mars" ?
    Or shall we have the 1985 mix on "Press To Play" and the original, unreleased version on "Venus And Mars" ? But then, Paul must have considered the original 1975 mix as unfinished since he felt he had to overdub it to achieve an 80s sound, and he may then not want to release the original mix at all.
    But then, the 1985 mix sounds so out of place with the rest of the "Venus And Mars" material.
    But then...

As much as I'd love the assorted 7" and 12" remixes, I hope we'll also get high-quality versions of the "Press To Play" rough mixes that have been around since 1989.

But for now... Let's see how they deal with the various mixes/variations of "A Love For You" on the "Ram" remaster, since a "Press To Play" deluxe remaster is still obviously quite a few years away.

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And even though it is nitpicking, "Country Dreamer", which was originally slated for the double Red Rose Speedway album, has already been reissued as part of the Deluxe Band On The Run CD. So now that song won't be on the Deluxe Red Rose Speedway, where it should go if indeed we get the rest of the projected double set. And will Paul go back and ask Denny for "I Would Only Smile", even though Denny released the Wings version on his solo Japanese Tears album in the 1980s. It really is a dilemma to compile everything exactly where it should go. Arnie

theMess likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Never having heard Press To Play (and therefore any of the remixes) I cannot truly comment on the validity of such material being included in its respective deluxe edition. Are some songs simply shortened or what? I'm assuming I should consult my new "Eight Arms to Hold You" book, huh?

23. Calico

Calico Senior Member

No no, these are usually very different versions to their LP counterparts, with additionnal vocals or instrumentation.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing these songs when the deluxe edition comes out. I'll wait until then, whenever the heck that may be.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just looked up the song "Press" on YouTube. These are very different mixes. I prefer the latter.

http://youtu.be/PLSKNzT0Ve8
    http://youtu.be/pfmnuruSz10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.