1970s English Art-Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Svetonio, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident Thread Starter

An English genre of popular music that the 70s prog-heads from all over the world absolutely loved to listening to, although Art-Rock bands & solo artists, as Art Rock is actually Pop Rock with a huge artistic approach as well, recorded a lot of catchy hits songs that were played to death on then radio-stations, although they never recorded 20 minutes long tracks and although "americana" way of singing, that is so anti-"proggy", often was (is) an obvious thing in English Art-Rock.

English Art Rock heritage are the timeless masterpieces like e.g. Elton John's Elton John, David Bowie's Alladin Sane, Moody Blues' Seventh Soujourn, Supetramp's Crime of the Century, 1cc's The Original Soundtrack, Roxy Music's Roxy Music, Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets, Peter Gabriel "Wet Car", Kate Bush's Lionheart and so on.

Enjoy in posting your favourite '70s English Art Rock songs & vids and discuss.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Legend, alexpop, Joti Cover and 8 others like this.
  2. Svetonio

My favourite Art Rock song ever. A live version from Milano.

Legend, Joti Cover, Earscape and 9 others like this.
  3. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Would BJH count? Love this homage.

Legend, Crimson Witch, Alan2 and 5 others like this.
  4. Svetonio

My favourite solo album by Mr Gilmour is his first, s/t album from 1978. I love all the songs.

5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

So we’re talking about art rock artists that aren’t prog or are sort of on the outer rim of prog? I’ve always thought that King Crimson’s work from 1972-1974 was prog in name only. Same with most of Pink Floyd’s 70’s work. Camel’s work from 1975 forward transcends prog IMO. Outside the realm of borderline prog, I’ve recently discovered the German electronic project Ashra, whose three albums from the 70’s are very good.

moodyxadi and tug_of_war like this.
  6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I think King Crimson in the 70s was undeniably Prog. I mean if they were not prog than what is Prog?

I love Camel up through Rain Dances.

Most my Art Rock favorites were a well trodden path. My exception would be the semi-cultish Art Rock of Procol Harum. But truth be told during the 70s I was mainly playing Zep; Who, Stones, Traffic, Elton John, Roxy Music, David Bowie. Those were my formative years (teens) and therefore my tastes have not moved all that much.

audiotom, MGM, Alan2 and 4 others like this.
  7. Svetonio

70s Art Rock wasn't a subgenre of 70s Prog(ressive rock) or vice versa. 70s Art Rock is Pop-Rock with a huge artistic approach.

Legend and klockwerk like this.
  8. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Bowie in the seventies

Legend, Rufus rag, klockwerk and 3 others like this.
  9. Svetonio

Always loved this song

10. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Great song!

Svetonio likes this.
  11. SurrealCereal

I agree with you there, but I think there was a lot of overlap.

PhoenixWoman likes this.
  12. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

13. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Don't know about the rest of you but I don't really worry about how a group, album, or song is labeled before I listen to it.

14. SurrealCereal

Because some of my original choices don’t exactly fit the OP’s definition of art-rock, I’ll try this again (plus, I accidentally mentioned a non-English artist). I like ELO’s Face The Music, which I think is a perfect fusion of their early sound with their later, pop-based sound. I think UK also qualifies. They’re typically labelled as a prog band, but their debut album has much more of a synth-based pop sound to it than most other prog bands. A more obvious pick is Queen’s A Night at the Opera.

sonnyrock and mark winstanley like this.
  15. SurrealCereal

I think you can still consider them prog, but the Bruford/Wetton lineup really sounds nothing like what Genesis, Yes, and Jethro Tull were doing in 1972, which is pretty much the standard for what prog is supposed to sound like.

Rufus rag and Willow Farmer like this.
  16. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Would Deaf School fit the bill?

17. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

10cc - how dare you
    i find the genre labels exhausting, but if this album is art rock, it's a favourite

19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

That's who I instantly thought of, particularly Futurama, which also happens to be largely unsurpassed as a guitar album.

But what's this about Elton John being art rock? Oh my sides.

20. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

That was the first one I thought of!

And I'll toss in the Doctors of Madness

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I totally agree with you about Futurama. Bill Nelson was on fire with that album. It's my favorite from BBD.

I never thought of Elton as an art-rocker, though he did lean that way a bit.

DonnyMe likes this.
  22. Theslipperman

Theslipperman Active Member

Dunno if i’d put Elton anywhere near the art rock side of things tbf, although I know I’m not big on categories. I would class UK art rock as This Heat, Robert Wyatt, Comus, Kevin Ayers, Eno, John Cale, Bowie, Roxy, Hatfield and the north, Caravan ect ect
    But that’s only my opinion

audiotom, fried, jkauff and 3 others like this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

Like Portobello Road by Ellie Janov?

alexpop likes this.
  24. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Al Stewart ?

MortSahlFan likes this.
  25. Svetonio

That pop song is from 1967, right? Well, if we discuss about the Art Rock from 1967, then it's more like this: