1970s English Art-Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Svetonio, Mar 15, 2018.

1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Not English

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ian Anderson is the Scotch, isn't he? And his band is named after another Scotch, a guy who tried to modernize Scottish agriculture, right? Voila! Take this as a honorable mention! Because The Chequered Flag (Dead or Alive) is one of the most beautiful Art Rock songs ever recorded, as it's not Progressive rock of Aqualung nor Symphonic rock blended so majestically with Celtic folk music on Thick As A Brick.

Indeed, the gems of Art Rock can be found almost everywhere in the Seventies' heritage. Just dig it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  3. Svetonio

So you think that Sir Elton had forgotten that he was rejected on an audition for King Crimson' singer due to his way of singing, which was not like English English choir-boy singing method :oops:

4. Svetonio

Another [glam]rock song with a "proggy" intro what altogether made one the most knowing Art Rock songs :agree:

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Ian Anderson is Scottish but Jethro Tull, the man, was English.

Wugged likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Dunno. But I've been reading in an Ian Anderson's inteview given for Serbian zine "Jukebox" in december 1976, that Jethro Tull, the man to whom the modernization of Scottish agriculture was linked, was also known in certain Scottish circles as a mystic.

7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I think he was known in Scottish circles as a Sassenach.....

8. Svetonio

It's Post-Punk, not Art Rock.

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The thread specifically stated English Art-Rock, so Ian Anderson cannot be included as he is not English.

10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

No genuine Scot would name his band after an Englishman! ;)

Crimson Witch, Svetonio and Wugged like this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He would if it was a good name for a band!

12. Strictly speaking ,yes, Al Stewart is not English but Scottish, having been born in Scotland.

However, his family spent hardly any time there after his birth and pretty much all of his early life and formative years was spent in the South of England.

Best Wishes,
    David

13. Svetonio

Enya SUCKS! NWOBHM RULES! :realmad: :bone:

14. Svetonio

I said that's a honorable mention.

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Not strictly speaking but fact, he was born in Scotland therefore he is Scottish, much like David Byrne who is also Scottish.

John Martyn and Stuart Adamson are both regarded as Scottish having been brought up there but were in fact born in London and Manchester respectively.

adriatikfan likes this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Parentage counts here. Waiting for Gentle Giant to show up so I can pounce on them!

17. Indeed they were.

Just as an aside - If anyone even thinks of labelling John Martyn (RIP) aka David McGeachy as Art-Rock, I'll have to go out and find something to vent my pent-up fury upon.

:wantsome: :wantsome: :wantsome:

Although I think he did have a sax on a couple of tracks, here and there :doh:

Best Wishes,
    David

18. Svetonio

From eponymous debut studio album by English Art Rock band Metro. Recorded in 1976, it was released in February 1977. Enjoy in this forgotten Art Rock classic!

Northwind and MortSahlFan like this.
  19. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Well I`ve read all this thread and another early one entitled `What is art rock` and have come to the conclusion that every single artist/band is art rock.

Except Lemmy.

20. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Including Lemmy!

Wugged and Svetonio like this.
  21. Svetonio

RIP Duncan Browne

sound chaser and Northwind like this.
  22. Svetonio

Yeah, a great Art Rock spong you've posted from the best year of that genre - 1973.
    I like also this one from the same LP:

23. Svetonio

Something from the last studio album by The Beatles must be posted in this thread, and my choice is Across the Universe, as anther beautiful song of the English Art Rock.

24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Is this from outlander?!!
    Thumbs up because my girlfriend makes me watch it with her hahahaha

Edit: (Ok I asked her to put it on)

25. Svetonio

I remember the day when as a kid I bought, in a records shop down on my street, this single by Brian Ferry, as the guys from the records shop played this single, and I liked THE sound instantly; in former Yugoslavia, Mr Ferry's The 'In' Crowd single was released - under licence of Island Records - in 1974.
    Somehow, this "nasty" cover of Dobie Gray's hit from the 60s is still to be my favourite Mr Ferry's song.
    Indeed a great example of English Art Rock from the first half of the Seventies!

Btw, I'm gonna to see Mr Ferry again in my hometown of Belgrade - as he played here several times aswell - in September at his concert that is a part of his UK / European Tour 2018. Big fan here.

[​IMG]

alexpop and jay.dee like this.