1971 was 50 years ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notesfrom, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Gee if he was not in good shape and they were concentrating on the newer material could they have perhaps used someone else that was more coherent?
    P.s. No knocks on Christine who is an ace writer

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident Thread Starter

He did start and lead the band, so it was akin to bringing back Brian Wilson or, if possible, Syd Barrett. Maybe he was only able to focus on the confines of his fretboard. He is playing the louder guitar on 'Purple Dancer' from that show, but not improvising much. Fascinating period for the band for me, but can't find much information about it, or even photos. If they can't coax an 'Oh, Well' out of him, it seems to point to his (and maybe the band's) not wanting to dwell on the recent past. The surviving members might know. I used to have Fleetwood's book, but I'm not sure if I have it anymore.

rkt88 and All Down The Line like this.
  3. All Down The Line

Intriguing as the audiences may have been a bit disappointed to say the least that he wasn't doing any signature tracks!

WHMusical and notesfrom like this.
  4. notesfrom

It would be like the Velvet Underground bringing back Lou Reed in 1971, and he doesn't sing/talk or anything.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

not a darn thing beyond adolescent shrieking lol.

i was 8 years old.

wait. i did just recall the drive from laurel canyon to san berdoo!

truly a kid's "are we there yet"? couple of hours ;)

6. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Damn Dude!

The early Stones, Jimi, etc...

You LIVED MY Dream...

Sadly, I was born ten years too late...

notesfrom and rkt88 like this.
  7. rkt88

thanks, was a gas ( THEN! lol )

funny thing is i remember all ( mostly ) of it. it was that impactful.

8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

absolutely adore this FM era also, so many what could have beens with Peter. Why hasn’t this gotten a release it sounds better than the one from earlier in the year.

All Down The Line and notesfrom like this.
  9. notesfrom

It's probably considered the dead-zone era by the Fleetwood Mac survivors. It would have been great if Peter could have held it together more. Maybe it was enough of a task to just get him back in the band to do this part of the tour. At least some of it got recorded. I guess PG really was an acid casualty, according to this, from the Grammy site, of all places.

Remembering Fleetwood Mac’s Peter Green

10. notesfrom

July 21— Black Sabbath’s Master of Reality is released, their third studio album. 'It is regarded by some critics as the foundation of doom metal, stoner rock, and sludge metal.' It will make #5 in the UK, and #8 in the US.

11. notesfrom

July 21— TV commercials taken from the Tonight Show off WRC-TV/NBC, of Washington DC.

12. notesfrom

July 21— The Allman Brothers Band is playing the Schaefer Music Festival at New York City's Central Park - sponsored by Schaefer Brewing Company.

13. notesfrom

July 21— Carole King's 'It's Too Late' is the #1 single in the US.

Demo version:

14. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Today I heard, for the first time, a 1971 song called “(For God’s Sake) Give More Power to the People.” I did a quick search, but never did find out whether it was released before or after Lennon’s ‘71 single, “Power to the People,” which I believe came out in March of that year in the UK.

15. All Down The Line

What do you recall at 9 or 10 from Monterey?

16. rkt88

backstage. where the action was. it was called the "hunt club" and i did lol. hunt and eat and partake. everyone was there or square.

frightfully -i saw tiny tim on a picnic table warbling. that frightens me less now because of what kids are exposed to in libraries and schools in "story hours". i ended up at a couple of his first sessions months later produced by richard perry. but, i'm mostly ok now.

i remember everyone racing up there in their new porsche 911's. while i was stuffed in the back of a 66 impala station wagon.

i remember vividly the night of hendrix/who because that was the "build" of the weekend for the glitterati. it left me shell shocked. i wanted moon's drums. pre destruction.

i remember brian jones walking around in his sheepskin moroccan jacket eyeing everyone to ensure they recognized him. i had never seen barbiturate "eyes" before. but i have seen, and then saw a dead man walking.

i'm sure i remember more. it's all in the book. as yet unfinished.

17. notesfrom

To follow up on Peter Green - this is what he was into in 1971 - vibing out on the sounds from his rhythm section. This clip is from Top Of The Pops, which sometimes would feature artists' new work. The single, 'Heavy Heart', did not chart. Green's playing on this track is subtle and subdued, to say the least, and the track is more campfire tribal than anything we're used to hearing previously from him.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

RYM has the release date for the Chi-Lites single as March 16, 1971. The Lennon single was released on March 12, 1971.

So, they independently had similar ideas at the same time.

19. notesfrom

July 22— The Oscar Peterson Trio is playing at the Theatre De Verdure in Nice, France

1 The Lamp Is Low 6'40"
    2 Younger Than Springtime 6'00"
    3 Who Can I Turn To 4'15"
    4 Soft Wind 6'40"
    5 Wave 5'25"
    6 Lil' Darlin' 7'15"
    7 Body And Soul 10'45"
    8 Just Friends/Blues Etude 7'35"
    9 Autumn Leaves 5'29"

[​IMG]

20. notesfrom

July 22— King Crimson's 'Ladies Of The Road' (Rehearsal/Outtake) - July 22, 1971.

footlooseman likes this.
  21. notesfrom

July 22— Delaney & Bonnie, plus Duane Allman, and King Curtis, are broadcast Live at A&R Recording Studios in New York City, over radio WPLJ.

ARK, Glenn coates, rkt88 and 3 others like this.
  22. rkt88

fantastic though haven't heard it ( yet! ). my genuine deeper exposure to oscar peterson was through all the re-issues that norman granz ( his manager ) released through granz's pablo/rca records.

really good stuff.

23. All Down The Line

Wow, new to me!

rkt88 and notesfrom like this.
  24. notesfrom

July 23— The Moody Blues’ album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour is released - their seventh. It will reach #1 in the UK, and #2 in the US.

25. notesfrom

July 23— John Lennon & Yoko Ono are photographed inside their Tittenhurst home, near Ascot in Berkshire.

oboogie and footlooseman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.