1972 pilot for "The New Price Is Right" on YouTube. It's awesome.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

A beautiful transfer of the entire pilot episode complete with opening slate and original ads is on YouTube for us all to enjoy.

They couldn't have asked for a better first contestant in Connie. The show itself seems pretty dialed in but it probabaly took a few months for the audiences to get more involved in the show. They seemed a little subdued here.

Enjoy!

dan c

The Price Is Right’s 1972 debut episode is on YouTube and it is glorious »

MLutthans likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

This is on the Price Is Right box set.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Filmed February 16, 1972: Mark Goodson presents a sales presentation film for a new weekly, syndicated, early evening version of The Price is Right with Dennis James as the host. They both present ideas that would evolve to other versions and hosts, which includes the daily, network, daytime version with Drew Carey 40 years later.

Goodson later displays what a good host James can be by showing him as a substitute host of Let's Make a Deal, a show Goodson thinks it borrowed elements from The Price is Right.​

cathandler and Vidiot like this.
  4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The season premiere on CBS from 1972 is also on you tube, complete broadcast, commercials and all.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

LOL......just watched the "pitch movie". Dennis James forgets the big prize is a boat, he says
    "Win The Car" before catching himself.
    Hopefully, they didnt send this "take" out!!

Maybe soon after they decided on Bob Barker as the Host, making this film obsolete.

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

No, it isn't, because Bob Barker likes to pretend fur coats and Holly Hallstrom never existed.

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Your right. I pulled it out to check and the first episode is there but not the pilot. In my defense the pilot was described in the liner notes, and I remembered the clap boards on many of the episodes.

8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

Also, there's tons of old episodes on Youtube.

The show has changed so much in the past couple of years, that I can't even watch it anymore. Didn't know it was possible to ruin The Price is Right, but I guess it was.

JohnO and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I don't know. My nine year old loves it,
    just as I did back in 1975.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What is the rewatchability of a game show ? DVDs ? I had no idea.

dkmonroe and boboquisp like this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Well, if you haven't seen them before or in a long time its all the same. I think I paid 8 dollars for the set and seeing some of the old 60s show with Bill Cullen was a lot of fun. Barkers last shows and the first Drew Carey shows make for an interesting set.

OldSoul and Dan C like this.
  13. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

My dad watches the $25,ooo pyramid with Dick Clark on the game show channel five days a week.
    I watch it, too, when I am there.
    It's still fun to play along with the contestants.
    It's really no different than rewatching old tv shows or movies, you know how they're going to turn out just as well.
    If they ever put it out on dvd, I will get it for him.

tonyc and OldSoul like this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

original match games hold up as well!

OldSoul likes this.
  15. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I'm not sure if the old original Match Games from the 1960's hold up well ( which is on youtube by the way ) but i love the 1970's version of it !

Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive never seen the 60's ones early 60's right? interesting it came back mid 70's....then again 1980's? and now again. the show that' wouldn't die. the 70's hit their stride 74-77 (once Richard Dawson left to do family feud it started to drop a bit)

17. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

"What's My Line" is probably the more "re-watchable" of the old game shows, for many reasons.

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Same with To Tell The Truth.

cathandler likes this.
  19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Oh, so this episode never actually aired? I assumed it went out as the first episode. Interesting!

I had to laugh at Connie's excitement over the Vega. I hope she sold it before picking it up. Seriously the worst thing ever...

dan c

Grant likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"The Price is Right" was just a rip-off of "The Prize is Priced", which aired all the way back in the Stone Age.

[​IMG] .

fr in sc, izgoblin, Benno123 and 2 others like this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I watched that, and a couple of later episodes. That brings back memories! I especially enjoyed the 1972 commercials.

The esthetics remind me of just where we were in the early 70s, and how far we've come in technology. BTW, does anyone even sew anymore? I don't think i've seen a sewing machine in decades!

22. Grant

The contestants were so calm and reserved, especially the young guy who won the showcase. I imagine the executives immediately had discussions on how to liven up the show after that initial screening. They brightened up the stage, told people to get rowdy.

23. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I sew, but I don't use a sewing machine. I see them in Walmart, but I've never used one.

24. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Interesting that the first spot was the classic Jack Webb safety belt PSA.

Dan C and Grant like this.
  25. Grant

I used them on occasion back in the 70s when I had to fix something. Otherwise, I hate sewing. My mom had one of those heavy metal and steel models from Riccar, I think. It's a nice one, and I think my sister has it somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.