1980s albums that have *never* been released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

With that analogy, it was my #1 favorite show on TV.
    To miss it is an understatement. :(

Nevertheless, I appreciate all the work you do and I will continue to purchase everything directly from your website. (I'm currently only 2 CDs shy of a complete set.)

2. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Someone posted on Facebook that a collection of Cowboys International A and B sides is supposed to be released by Universal this week. I can't find any news on it but I'm suspecting if it's true it will be a digital only release.

The interesting (irritating) thing about this is I requested to reissue their material last year. In September, Universal UK asked the U.S. arm to have me provide all of the catalog numbers for the singles and extra tracks stating they didn't have any of it in their system. I provided all requested info and never heard another word. But if this collection does end up being released, they basically took my idea and the info I provided and used it for their own release. The guy who used to run the Futurismo label said I should expect this to happen on occasion, as it seems the same thing happened to him. If a digital only release is what's coming, perhaps there will still be demand for a physical release?

Regarding Artery's 'Oceans' EP, part of the reason not all tracks have come out is some are owned by the BBC and would require additional licensing. When I compiled the compilation for Cherry Red back in 2006 I was only able to choose the tracks they had ownership of, so 'The Slide' from the EP was not included.

3. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

I was surprised to learn that cds first came out in 1982. I never saw them ANYWHERE until 1986 (not that I probably knew they even existed before that) and I thought I was like the first guy on the block to actually buy them when first stumbling upon them in a record store way out of my normal shopping area lol

4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I had a brick & morter record store in the 80's. I don't remember what year we closed down, but the store I owned didn't carry any cd's until right before we shut down. After that I manged 1 & purchased for 2 Budget Tapes & records stores in the late 80's; by then we were 100% cd.

koondoggy likes this.
  5. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

Where I lived there was a huge local shopping mall with 3 record stores and if cds were actually on the market in 1982 they sure didn't arrive at these stores until many years later.

6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Strange and frustrating! I imagine there would still be some demand for a physical release (I know I'd be all for it, as I don't purchase digital music), but a digital release would probably dampen the demand somewhat.

If this is what's happening, hopefully they have access to all the tapes to do a proper and thorough remastering job. The needledrops that were done for the Revisited comp sound atrocious. I don't think Universal would stoop to that, but they will probably make it loud and compressed, though. A CD by Rubellan would be infinitely preferable!

I recall you mentioning this in the now-defunct Rubellan thread. I just looked at my copy of the Cherry Red Into the Garden comp and checked it alongside The Ocean EP, and that comp is also missing "The Ghost of a Small Tour Boat Captain" and "The Sailor Situation." Were those tracks owned by BBC as well?

Both of those tracks appear on Afterwards (Recordings from 1979 to 1983), the other Artery compilation released that same year, so I have always wondered if there was some attempt to avoid overlap between the two comps?

7. sectofone

sectofone Forum Resident

As a matter of fact, just last week I was listening to a local 70s-80s-90s classic rock station and--despite being a youth in that era and being familiar with a number of hits from these guys--heard a Payola$ song I don't think I'd ever heard before; so--yeah--those guys are still getting airplay in Canada at least.

I agree. My candidate for a 1980s album that has never been released on cd (but should be!) would be Gary O's Strange Behaviour. The videos for both "Call of the Wild" and "Shades of '45" seemed to be played daily on MuchMusic at the time, but he's largely forgotten now I suppose. Still, it seems to me to be the kind of release that a label like Rock Candy ought to consider re-issuing.

8. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

You mean the old band? The internet says yes it has, in 2017 with a remaster.

Soopernaut likes this.
  9. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

The person who posted about the Cowboys release said the tapes had recently been rescued from the vaults and transferred at Abbey Road Studios, but they could still be ruined with heavy compression (which is likely). The plus side would be if a physical release got approved then I wouldn't have to pay for the tape transfers because they now have them digitally archived.

Regarding Artery, yes those two songs, along with a version of The Clown, were BBC owned tracks. Ghost has always been a favorite but I was told at the time I couldn't include it. When the second compilation came out with some of the additional material, I assume they licensed from the BBC because they did appear to be master transfers.

samwisefan and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  10. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Wow, that activated some memory synapses that have been sitting dormant in my head for 35 years now. Good songs, and like you said, completely forgotten.

I was looking the other day at a list that the CBC put out of "Canadian one-hit wonders". It actually made a point of prefacing that American sources often list acts that had only one hit in the USA as one-hit wonders even when they aren't in their own country. It pulled out a bunch of obscurities like Jelleestone and Tom Green's pre-fame rap trio... and then completely destroyed their credibility by putting the Payola$ on the list! The Payola$ were so far from being a 'one-hit wonder' that they actually have several greatest hits CDs.

11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

12. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

I'm surprised someone searched. I did end up finding that after I posted in this thread. I think the listing was updated a while after it was released.

13. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Have any Payola$ albums been released on CD? If not, it's hard to believe.

14. Philip Airtime

Philip Airtime A Shiver in the Dark When You Call My Name

To the best of my knowledge, 3-D's two Polydor albums--the self-titled debut and See It Loud (both 1980)--have never been released on CD, nor have the two Hitmen albums on Columbia/Epic, Aim for the Feet (1980) and Torn Together (1981).

samwisefan likes this.
  15. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

slovenly - thinking of empire

16. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

the cure/entreat--compact disc, 1991

thread--1980s albums that have never been released on cd.
    picture--compact disc originally released in march 1991?!!
    not an 80s album, obviously available on compact disc--ironically not released on vinyl until 2012!
    and i picked it up in the early 90s in oklahoma :agree:

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I posted it in relation to Colin's post about cd prices.

18. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

[​IMG]

Blowbeat ‎– Hands Up ! (MMP, 1985, The Netherlands)

19. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

ahhh!! thanks! i thought that was strange and i tried to look for context :laugh: but didn't see that part!

c-eling likes this.
  20. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Rick James’ 1985 album Glow never got released on CD.

21. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Phantom, Rocker, & Slick - Cover Girl

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not one of their releases has made it to CD or streaming. A&M (or whoever owns them in 2021) is a weird label when it comes to this stuff.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

N/P yes that kinda wouldn't of made much sense :laugh:
    I gave my "1980s-albums-that-have-never-been-released-on-cd" earlier on :)

24. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Stray Cats' cover of "Sixteen Candles" was remastered and reissued digitally on the "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" soundtrack.

sectofone likes this.
  25. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Their 2007 ep Langford Part 1 is on cd as well as Tidal. From what I remember of I, I wish it weren't. :laugh:

Edit. In the spirit of the thread you are right of course.

Joseph.McClure and Deuce66 like this.