1980s albums that have *never* been released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suppose there's an argument, albeit an impractical one, to be made that you can at least technically buy these digitally, because they were issued somewhere. Sure, the Cameo one is £92/over $100 on Discogs, but the option is there, whereas a lot of albums there isn't even an option if you spend the money.

Obscure albums deserve a second life too, not least because they're often some of the unsung gems of the decade, and can be particularly important bands in alternative genres, early examples of musical styles, and artists that will be forgotten to time.

In an ideal world, reissue labels would be looking at both cases, the rare and the totally unavailable.

Maurice and Grant like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sure it is true in the 70s too, but he asked about the 80s. My statement is not about acts like those you have named, it is about all those acts that released albums that nobody here even heard of, that never got reissued on CD because of that level of failure.

The reason record companies always took such a large % or successful acts earnings is that they also hat tp put so much money into acts that never went anywhere before dropping them.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's a good thing my original reason for getting into computers was specifically to make needle drops way back in 1997.

4. Grant

I made that clear in my post, and he is a she. Notice the generic avatar.

I don't recall the OP making that distinction in her post.

Not quite how it worked, i'm sure. But, the more popular artists pretty much kept the lights on and paid for all the flops. And, no record company expects to drop an artist when they sign them. A label wants every signee to generate income. It's just a matter of how many chances they give.

katieinthecoconut likes this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Jimmy Agates and Grant like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Of course they dont expect to drop acts when they sign them. But the chance of any new act making enough to be profitable for a label have always been very slim, and it was very rare that those whose LP releases were unprofitable would have those LPs reissued on CD.

7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Unless of course they or a member of the band went on to greater fame -- that usually inspires a re-release.

8. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Well, yes it will be lossy on some sites. It’s supplied in wav format though to the distributor so you may find it CD quality somewhere.

9. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Yeah, they're really good in their own way. Her voice is quite bad and is almost awful on Pretty Mess, but it's really endearing... I'm not sure if I've ever felt that way about an artist before.

ando here likes this.
  10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sure, there are exceptions. But overall a small minority of LPs ever came out as CDs. This honor was reserved for the select few that anyone but the artists remembered and cared about.

12. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you've acquired it yourself or were even involved with the release.

I asked a friend to check it on Deezer's lossless service, which uses WAVs from the distributor. They told me it's significantly lossy, and although I didn't ask for specifics (I could perhaps get them) that probably means it's not even in the higher bitrate MP3 range.

That would only happen if it was issued to them lossy, by the distributor. So, either the digital release is lossy, or the distributor sent different encodes to different places, some with a messed up transcode and some in genuine lossless.

I hope that makes sense. I'm just interested to know where I could actually get it.

13. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I started buying CDs in 1985 and this is my recollection.... Even for major artists a CD release was sometimes weeks or even months behind the LP release. And sometimes it just never happened.

modela, Jimmy Agates, Galley and 2 others like this.
  14. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I oversaw all the tape transfers for the Natasha release and what I provided to the label were definitely not lossy format, but wavs. The tapes are still in my house! Some of the demos I had to mix myself from the multi. It was compiled by me and, aside from a couple of b-sides where the label opted to do transfers off vinyl (masters lost for Maybe and Tonight so I mixed them from the multi’s on the Anthology release but the label wanted the originals for the Deluxe) everything was given by me as wavs. So, I’m not really sure what’s happened. Strange.

Thorpy and ispace like this.
  15. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I totally agree. It Hurts To Be In Love is Dan's Hartman's best album!

Chris C likes this.
  16. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

I think this one belongs to Warner Bros. Records, the previous two didn't... so I don't have much hope for this one. :cry:

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

And I'm sure there are thousands of indie bands from all over the country whose albums have never been released on CD.

18. uzn007

Here's my list from my Discogs collection (and using Discogs to search for CD versions), excluding indie local bands. As predicted, they're all from the early 80s.

The Last Nightingale - benefit EP with members of Henry Cow
    John Hartford - Catalogue
    Gary Numan/ Tubeway Army - 1978
    Dwight Twilley - Scuba Divers and Jungle
    Mike Oldfield - Airborn (may have appeared in another form)
    Times Square (Original Soundtrack)
    The Fleshtones - Hexbreaker! and Speed Connection - Live in Paris 85
    Robert Hunter - Jack O' Roses
    Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Magnetic Flip
    Bram Tchaikovsky - Funtime

19. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Scuba Divers has been on a twofer CD, no? And the Bram Tchaikovsky complete recordings came out earlier this year.

20. uzn007

I think you're right. I'm just going on whether Discogs lists a CD version of that exact album, so I probably missed a few that have been reissued in other configurations.

21. Grant

Those two albums had almost nothing to do with the Minneapolis sound. "Wild Animal" had two or three producers. "Pretty Mess" was produced by Bill Wolfer who worked on the "Footloose" soundtrack.

22. Grant

Interesting. The grooves have no spread between the tracks.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Bit of a cheat since it's from 1979 but the new wavish
    Cowboys International - The Original Sin.

They released a CD called revisited but some of the tracks were either alternate takes or complete remixes.

Devin likes this.
  24. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I never said that they did - refer all future queries to @ando here

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Dig and Doug were released on CD as a double CD years ago. if I remember correctly the discs' artwork was (inadvertently? ) swapped.

Here it is. double-check me to confirm the full track listing of both albums is on this compilation (I think they are):
    The Coolies (2) - Take That You Bastards

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018