1983 Japanese Abbey Road CD - different pressings....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

I was at my brother's house this weekend (he is fellow forum member lucifer-chops) and noticed that his Japanese Abbey Road CD (CP35-3016) had a white spine (the edge with English writing) while the opposite edge (with the Japanese writing) was yellow - I was convinced that my CD had both spines in yellow.

On my return home I found that my CP35-3016 did indeed have two yellow spines. This got me thinking - maybe there were other differences between our CDs and/or packaging. Well, on the phone we couldn't discern any other differences in the packaging (we both have smooth edged cases etc, etc...). However, we discovered that the discs differed in their inner-ring matrix numbers.

My brother's has "CSR Compact Disc" written repeatedly around the inner clear plastic ring. His also has the following matrix numbers:

CP35-3016

and then a little further round:

31A2

Apparently the numbers are written in to the substrate - ie they are etched into the disc in the same manner that the data is.

My disc, on the other hand, does not have the "CSR Compact Disc" writing and has the following matrix numbers:

CP35-3016-11

and then a little further round:

1A1

The matrix numbers on my disc have been physically stamped into the disc after the disc was made.

So, is there any significance in this information?!

I was under the impression that these discs weren't made for very long before EMI stepped in. We have evidence of at least two different pressings - were there more?

The next thing to do will be to A/B the discs which we will do the next time we are together. I can just see the chaos that will ensue if we discover that one pressing sounds different to the other ;).

I hope I haven't become too obsessive and scared any of you by the way :laugh:.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Both of my spines are yellow. One in English the other Japanese. The CD is imprinted just like yours.

I have never seen another variation that has the correct mastering. Check carefully!

3. Mal

Sounds to me like you ought to seek some medical advice :laugh:

Are you saying that you have seen different versions of CP35-3016 with incorrect mastering?

:)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've only seen copies like ours, and the "later" version, that has the same mastering as the rest of the world. Nothing in between.

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I have never seen a copy of the original "Abbey Road" CD, nor any other early EMI title, that was manufactured by CBS-Sony of Japan (CSR)...

That alone would make me a little suspicious of the provenance of this one (there **are** counterfiets of certain Japanese discs out there)... can you confirm that it was indeed purchased in 1983/84?

I might have initially just thought the spine difference was due to fading of the original yellow backing card (I have at least one Toshiba disc which now has the exposed spine as quite a light shade of ivory, though it was also originally yellow), but given the pressing differences, this may not be the case.

Interesting...

-Kevin

6. Mal

The CP35-3016 CDs that me and my brother own are both original early 80's Japanese pressings. It seems that the disc was manufactured in at least two minor variations. My guess is that the data will be identical on the two discs but you never know - I'll let you know what we discover.....

Any other CP35-3016 owners out there who can inform us which pressings they have?

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The one I bought while living in Berlin in 1984 had a yellow spine. I've never heard of the other.

8. Mal

Kevin,

my last post was written before reading your post!

Neither of the discs we have were bought by us at the time of original release......

I'm sure mine is the real deal. I'd need to have a look at my brother's actual disc to check whether his is genuine. I didn't open his - just looked at the spines and front and back cover - all looked genuine. The white spine (complete with the red & green stripes at the top) was definitely always white (ie not a faded yellow spine).

Does anyone know when etched matrix numbers were introduced? All of my early japanese CDs have pressed matrix numbers. If we can find this information that would tell us whether this alternate pressing could be original or not.....

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Malc, I don't have the Abbey Road CD, but I would say that the reason that one spine on your brother's copy is white is simply because it has faded over time. It is probably the spine that faces out on the shelf, and it seems as though 20 years of exposure to sunlight has done some damage. I have seen this on a number of Japanese RCA CDs with the red-orange-yellow color spectrum design on the spines. The colors are washed out -- various shades of pink, and in extreme cases, the yellow band is complete gone.

As for the differences in the plastic rings, I have a couple CBS discs pressed in Japan that have nothing stamped. From the look of the matrix codes, I am quite certain that they were pressed at the CBS/Sony Records plant (i.e., the "CSR" in "CSR COMPACT DISC").

Regarding the matrix codes, I can't comment without actually seeing them. Is there any way you could post pictures?

10. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

my copy has yellow spines on both ends. the number stamped on the center ring is CP35-3016

then a little further ...

17A1

also, on the right side of the disc in reverse lettering on the black triangle is written:

CP35-3016
    YEX-749-A*B(CD)

I bought mine sometime between 1984 and 1986.

and if any of the above makes sense to anyone, I'd sure appreciate a tutorial.

11. Mal

Keith,

This seems like the most reasonable conclusion, although it looks absolutely pristine with no obvious evidence of fading. I need a closer inspection!!

Here are my matrix numbers - I'll have to wait until I next see my brother to get a picture of his:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mal

Re: Re: 1983 Japanese Abbey Road CD - different pressings....

Jeff,

with your disc we seem to have third variation in the matrix code!

Do you mean like in the picture I posted above?

13. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

yeah ... the top photo shows what I'm talking about.

if I look really closely at mine, I can see the remnants of cranberry sauce too ... :cool:

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy has two yellow spines, but as Keith indicated the spine that faces out in the rack has faded so that it could look white in the "correct" light.

Anyway the only numbers etched on the inner ring on my disc are:

DP35-3016 then a space or two and 20A1.

That is it. My label has the same numbers as those shown in the picture:

CP35-3016 with YES-749-A*B(CD) under it.

15. Mal

Mike,

Is it obvious that it has faded from yellow or is it hard to tell? My brothers looks white but in a very pristine, fresh from the printers kind of way!

Do you mean CP35-3016?

20A1 is the 4th variation in the 2nd matrix number we have in this thread!

Sorry to be pedantic Mike, but I think you meant to type YEX rather than YES, correct? These are the kind of details I'm trying to nail down so we need to be precise!! :)

[For those who may not realise it, YEX-749 is the matrix code for Side 1 of the original Abbey Road LP and YEX-750 is the code for Side 2. For some reason, they have used YEX-749-A*B(CD) to denote both sides of this LP for this CD release. Odd but nevertheless quite cool! :cool:]

I think we can assume that all the copies of this CD will have the same screen printed label - but you never know I suppose!

Assuming that it is CP and not DP on Mike's disc (happy to accept otherwise if you confirm it Mike!) then so far we have:

CP35-3016-11.......1A1
    CP35-3016..........17A1
    CP35-3016..........20A1
    CP35-3016..........31A2 [with CSR Compact Disc printed around inner ring]

Now, I've assumed a logical order to the "2nd" number. If this is indeed the order of production, it would appear that the "CSR Compact Disc" text appears on later pressings.

Is it unusual to have so many pressing variations in an early Japanese pressed disc?

Keep the information coming - there must be more owners of this great CD out there!

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

No it is obvious that it is faded, since when you look at it under the right light you can tell it is yellow, but a faded yellow.

Sorry, yes you were right. I typed this late last night right after I got home from the Springsteen show at Giants Stadium. I was a bit tired. :p

Yes, again YEX. Blame Springsteen again for keeping me up so late. :D

17. Mal

I think I need to take another look at my brothers inlay spine to check but I could have sworn it was "unfaded white".

I suppose, if his disc is a later pressing (just before EMI withdrew the disc), that it is just possible they changed the printing of the inlay card (who knows why?!).

At least you have a good excuse for being up late on the forum! :laugh:

18. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Hi Guys

My recently acquired Toshiba AR CD has the following matrix number:

CP35-3016..........15A1 (no 'CSR' around ring....)

Johnny H

19. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

Ok - I am holding the mutant white/yellow spined disk in my hands - and I can confirm that the white spine has actually faded from yellow to white - there are still traces of yellow at the top near the red and green bands - and the green band has turned blue.

The guy I bought it from said he had bought it when it first came out and had then stored it virtually unplayed ever since. He must have left the spine exposed to sunlight. To the untrained eye it appeared mint in every way but now I know better!

Luke

20. Mal

Thanks for clearing that up bruv!

So, all notions of a rare white spine version of this CD can be eradicated!

Thanks to Johnny we now have 5 matrix code variations among forum members discs:

CP35-3016-11.......1A1
    CP35-3016...........15A1
    CP35-3016...........17A1
    CP35-3016...........20A1
    CP35-3016...........31A2 [with CSR Compact Disc printed around inner ring]

I find it curious that Toshiba-EMI would feel the need to keep changing the matrix codes this often - this disc was only available for a brief period, right?

Does anyone know how long it was available (and how many were made)?

Also, does anyone know what the different numbers might refer to?

The next step for me will be to see if there is a sonic and/or data difference between my disc ("1A1") and lucifer's ("31A2") - I'll let you know when I've had the chance to compare them.

21. KeithH

Malc S asked:

I have wondered about this too. I don't think anyone really knows what these codes mean exactly, though it would make sense if they correspond to a particular press run. If that is the case, what we do not know is how many discs might have been made per run, and therefore, how often the code might have changed. Abbey Road was only available for a short period of time, so I wouldn't have expected to see so many different codes, but again, we don't know the significance of them.

This discussion brings me back to the long discussions of the Hoffman and Nichols versions of Steely Dan Katy Lied that took place here awhile back. I have been told that the Hoffman version has a matrix code of "MCAD 37043 S1E:1". I have this disc and two other Japanese pressings with different codes. Both my fiancee and I feel the S1E:1 disc sound better than the other two, so we have concluded that the S1E:1 disc is the Hoffman and the other two are the Nichols (the other two sound identical). Now, if there are just 5,000 copies of the Hoffman version, as stated in Steve's Discography, does this mean that a particular matrix code could have been used for 5,000 CDs? I have no idea.

22. Mal

Keith,

somebody out there knows - the people who made these discs would have a pretty good idea!

The problem is finding the right people to ask. I wonder if anyone has ever asked SONY?

How did the EMI LP matrix code format become known to the collector? I suppose with a band like the Beatles, there is enough interest to make that information get around eventually. Also, there will clearly be a sonic difference depending on which pressing run an LP comes from. However, if the same data exists on a CD, irrespective of when it is pressed, then it is debatable that there will be any noticeable sonic differences and hence no particular interest for the average collector.

Of course, if the mastering used for a particular CD changed from one pressing to another (as was the case of the early Aja and Katy Lied CDs) then it would be very useful if we could clearly identify which mastering you had from the matrix codes alone.

It seems unlikely that this information will ever be readily available but if someone was determined to find out I guess they could come up with some useful information.

Any volunteers?! It would probably help if you speak Japanese......

Here's hoping we get closer to the elusive details we're after one day!

23. KeithH

Malc, oh yeah, someone probably knows. I wish I knew where to start! I need connections!

24. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I have a repeat of:

CP35-3016...........31A2 [with CSR Compact Disc printed around inner ring]

yellow spine...

25. KeithH

I just obtained an EMI copy of Abbey Road today. Here are the particulars:

* Yellow spines, one in English and one in Japanese.

* Matrix code: "CP35-3016 17A1"

* "YEX-749-A*B(CD) appears on the CD under the catalog number.

* Nothing is stamped on the plastic ring -- no "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating.

Although there is nothing stamped on the plastic ring, the matrix code looks like one of a CD pressed at the CBS/Sony plant. I have a number of Japanese CBS/Sony pressings with this sort of matrix code, and some of these discs have nothing stamped in the plastic ring.

In looking at matrix codes reported here, it seems as though Abbey Road was pressed at more than one plant. This could have been a result of the anticipated high demand of the first Beatles CD ever released (forgetting that it should never have been released in the first place ;)). Perhaps with the limited pressing capabilities of the plants in the early days coupled with the other titles that the plants had to turn out, EMI had to go to more than one plant to get the job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.