1989 resurgence of violin and traditional strings in pop and rock music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I was replying to a recent thread about violins, I noticed I was coming up with songs from the late 80's. I think that's because 1989 in particular was a year in which violin and some other traditional string instruments were more common in popular music than any other year in the 80's or since.

I didn't do comprehensive research, but these I've noted in major-label, charting releases:
    Storm Front (Billy Joel)
    Bonham (self-titled)
    Sonic Temple (The Cult)
    Spike (Elvis Costello)
    New Jersey (Bon Jovi)
    Like a Prayer (Madonna)
    Runaway Horses (Belinda Carlisle)
    Seeds of Love (Tears for Fears)
    Rhythm Nation 1814 (Janet Jackson)
    Flowers in the Dirt (Paul McCartney, and the violin on the album is him)

I think it was because everyone was tiring of synthesizers, the same people helped make multiple albums, and the industry was thriving so much that there was money for almost anyone on a major label to hire string players. Then in the 90's music went back to basics and, uh, let's not go into today's music.

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

MTV Unplugged’s
    First episode date: November 26, 1989

Chemguy likes this.
  3. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

I think 1986 was the high water mark for synths as the defacto choice in the 1980’s. By 1987 you had songs like INXS’ “Never Tear Us Apart” in the charts, making strong use of a string quartet. Prior to that, a couple of synthesizers (Yamaha DX-7, Korg M1) had preset sounds so overused through the ‘80’s there was bound to be a backlash. Rock music largely went back to basics, with r’n’b and pop keeping some of the synthy sounds going

Chemguy likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yep, synth fatigue.

A welcome condition!

lightbulb likes this.
  5. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

I think you guys are a bit off on your timeline. First, the Korg M1 and the T1 came out in either 87 or 88, but hit their peak use in the early 90s.

Second, keyboards were all over pop music in the 90s. Acts like Ace of Base, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, etc. Or jeez, even whole pop subgenres - techno, dance music, etc. Synths were only "replaced" by samplers and computers as the 90s progressed.

c-eling likes this.
  6. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

Agreed, and that's why I said pop & r&b kept going with Synths (though you're right, the M1 came out in 1988.) I didn't get into sampling or genres that never used live strings to begin with (techno, hip hop) as the post was more about pop & rock music. I do remember a real return to "acoustic" instruments returning around 87-88, (though around '87 I was getting seriously into rap & wasn't super interested in mainstream pop at the time.)

7. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Gotcha - thank you for clarifying. Yeah, definitely rock music started re-adjusting to less synths and more acoustic instruments as the 80s wore on. REM's Losing My Religion being a big hit song with the mandolin as a lead instrument comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.