1st Pressing of Styx Paradise Theater on CD

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by StyxCollector, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

For those interested, there's a first pressing (no barcode) of the Styx album Paradise Theater up on eBay. This is the original US pressing with a catalog number of CD 3719. It's pressed in Japan (I assume from the same line that did the D32Y Japanese pressings of the Styx CDs).

I'm not selling it, but it took me years to find as a Styx collector. The more common pressing from that era is the West German PDO pressing with the updated catalog number of CD 3240.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2596793088&category=1573

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I agree that this disc is very tough to find. After looking for one for months, I finally landed a copy a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see another copy on the auction block this morning.

For what it's worth, the seller of the copy up now is reputable. I asked him if there is any text stamped on the clear plastic ring at the center of the disc, and he said there is none. My copy has "MADE BY MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC IND. CO., LTD." and the Technics logo stamped on the plastic ring. The seller further said that he has sold three other Japanese pressings of Paradise Theater, and only one had text stamped on the disc. I don't know if all of his copies had the CD-3719 catalog number because there is a Japanese pressing with the CD-3240 catalog number.

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

Sadly, when I found it, it was in a 2 for $5 bin. I was a happy camper.

Here's what I know of PT disc lineage, at least here in the US. The CD 3719 is the first, and has the original LP/tape catalog number. Then A&M did a whole bunch of catalog number changes, and PT got CD 3240. The next pressing in the US is the WG PDO (i.e. the target style without target markings - complete aluminum disc). Then there was the Japanese pressed CD 3240, and I think subsequent pressings were all US made.

This doesn't take into account teh multiple Euro and Japanese pressings.

To be honest tho, I have yet to really hear a bad pressing of this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.