2 Art Garfunkel 2CH/4CH SACDs coming from Dutton-Vocalion*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Word got to QQ today that the two Art Garfunkel LPs, "Angel Clair" and "Breakaway" are being released this month on SACD from Dutton-Vocalion in the UK.

Welcome to the Dutton Vocalion website

These guys have taken the torch from AF in getting the 70's quad stuff released and are doing a fine job, now they appear to be moving towards a more popular vein.

Very cool.

fiscus1, DLD, Joti Cover and 25 others like this.
  2. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

nice, but would love to see the brilliant "watermark" in surround. that would be bliss

Gardo, monotone, AppleCorp3 and 6 others like this.
  3. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Big YUMMY !!!!:edthumbs:

4. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

LOVE these albums .

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Do they package their stuff well so it isn't damaged in transit?

6. art

art Senior Member

it arrives fine in AZ.

The Hud likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Are these actually out now? They’re cheap for SACDs.. Not that I’m complaining.:)

I’m especially pleased to see Breakaway. Would love Fate For Breakfast and Scissors Cut too.

8. JonUrban

To be perfectly honest here, I have ordered about 15 of these 4.0 SACDs in 3 or 4 orders. I don't remember the exact details, but I ordered once through Amazon. One order arrived with a cracked jewel case, the others arrived fine. Again, being honest, they are not packed like Red Trumpet (remember them :) ) or Elusive or other US audiophile retailers, but when you consider the cost of the purchase, going out and getting a replacement jewel box from your own stock or via mail order is not a huge deal. Sure, you should expect perfection, but we don't always get what we expect.

HOWEVER - The music, mastering, and audio levels are generally perfection, so really, 1 cracked jewel box out of 15 should not be a non-starter.

9. JonUrban

The only two Art Garfunkel quad LP/Q8 releases were these two. By the time the rest of his albums came out, quad was over. I seriously doubt that the time and expense to remix these following releases would be spent by Sony or anyone. Stereo SACDs may be very possible, however. It's all about the Benjamin's'. :)

McLover, Davidmk5, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I’d be more interested in the stereo mix anyway, to be honest.

I’ve ordered Breakaway through Amazon tonight. It’s coming from Dutton-Vocalion who claim it’s in stock, so here’s hoping I’ll get it soon.:)

11. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

They are starting to become my favourite label and the two Art SACDs are automatic buy for me.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's funny, because I was in a record store last weekend and found a quad LP of Angel Clare and wondered if such an album would ever get its Quad mix officially released on a digital format. Guess they heard my thoughts!

13. Bobby Morrow

Just a (late) thought about this.. It's a hybrid disc that plays on a regular CD player, but is the stereo version listed just the redbook CD version or is it Hi Res like the multi channel mix? I ask because I only want the Hi Res stereo version.

14. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

All quad Dutton Vocalion discs so far have included a stereo SACD layer as well.

Joti Cover, Simon A and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I hope so. The wording of it sounds like the multi-channel mix and a stereo one. It doesn’t specify if it’s Hi Res or not.

16. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

I can confirm that it it's a hybrid SACD and definitely includes the original stereo mix on both the SACD stereo layer and the redbook CD layer, and the quad mix on ahe multichannel layer. It also features a superb full dynamic range mastering courtesy of Mike Dutton and some half-decent liner notes from yours truly.

More info here:

Vocalion New Releases Jan 2018 - duttonvocalion.co.uk

BeSteVenn, skiddlybop, Gardo and 15 others like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Thanks for clarifying.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Definitely going to get these two.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ordered these two discs this morning. From what I gather, once Vocalion posts items on their website they have them in stock to ship. Looking forward to receiving these.

Simon A and art like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

My copy of Breakaway (ordered last night) was posted this morning.

Simon A likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I somehow missed this. MUST order Breakaway. I feel like such a whore for liking it, as it was his monster lp.
    I just never took to the ballads on Watermark. Almost without exception, I found them turgid and weepy. Plus, listening to Paul Desmond's lat notes always makes me blue.

audiomixer likes this.
  22. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread and making me aware of these releases. Ordered them this afternoon, and I’m especially thrilled to be getting an S&G song in quad.

I ordered three discs last summer from this label, and I am impressed with their work.

Simon A and fredblue like this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have Pure Prairie League from this label, and I think the SACD sounds good!

Carlox, Joti Cover, McLover and 5 others like this.
  24. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Ordered as I'm sacd equipped, have been impressed by Vocalion Dutton's mastering before and you seriously can't argue with their pricing.

25. Bobby Morrow

£11.99 is very cheap. I was expecting these to be at least £20.

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.