20,000 Leagues Under The Sea to Blu-Ray (1954)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by longdist01, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member Thread Starter

It appears Disney Movie Club (subscription DVD/Blu-Ray) will soon be releasing this film Classic on physical media for Limited time...no details if it will be a basic film feature or include Bonus material or Special features of any kind.

Extend the magic with Disney Movie Rewards

[​IMG]
    It appears a few more titles may also be planned to be released as DMC Exclusives later in 2019.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kirk contribute to the extras?

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that's great -- what a terrific movie. I hope they did it in 2.55 scope!

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That stripey sailer shirt Kirk Douglas wore seemed to give the sixties pop bands a slash of color ..Brian Jones etc

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

It’s great news this is finally making it to Blu-Ray but the fact it’s coming from the DMC likely means few if any extras. The old 2 disc dvd had a ton of great extras. Also, the restoration done almost a decade ago that this will likely be sourced from at is currently on iTunes has new, inaccurate color grading that favors teal and some digital wire removal during the squid battle scene.

captainsolo, longdist01 and alexpop like this.
  6. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

When they used to show that on the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night, I dropped whatever I was doing when I was a kid to watch. An all-time classic :)

cleandan and longdist01 like this.
  7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Also In Search of the Castaways is coming to BR.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Do the Disney Movie Club discs ever become available for non-subscribers?

I would love to have this on BD, but I don't think I want to join the Disney Movie Club.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've really wanted this for years! Can't see it now on the Disney Movie Club site but I'll keep checking up. Instant purchase for me.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

This is what I fear will come to pass. I was hoping the iTunes version was not the true restored effort because the color is quite bad and I hoped a proper new release would be okay. Then perhaps the new release might finally elevate the film in the public’s eye to being the Disney landmark that it is. Aaaand after all these years they’re just going to dump it in the dmc probably with lossy audio so we can’t hear the restoration work properly. I finally rebought the dvd for the extras not too long ago to go along with the Archive collection Laserdisc.

I don’t think it’s too much to claim this as possibly the best film Disney ever produced and it’s so great that they’ve thankfully never managed to remake it despite trying several times. This is still a wonderous film for children and adults alike that doesn’t pull punches. And the level of risk of making this film in 1954 was so stratospheric that had it not been successful the company would have been over.
    The last time I got dragged to Disney world, my only joy was in finding the one tiny bit of studio history which is now probably gone-a room with some animation cels, an Oscar, the Rocketeer pack and both an original diving helmet prop and one of the Nautilus scale models!!

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

At least the 2 disc DVD set is cheap, and is high quality.

I will wait for the BD reviews, and if they are good, I will be at the mercy of the eBay sellers.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. longdist01

13. longdist01

14. longdist01

finally recieved the Blu-Ray and enjoying this 1954 Classic, very nice picture and Lossless DTS 5.1 audio [ a beautiful
    orchestra soundtrack].

budwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.