20 Grammy winners whose careers fizzled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralph7109, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

People (like George Michael, who was mentioned in the list) have careers that went quite strong outside of the states which counters the idea that their career "fizzled".

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Ah okay -- got it. I just wasn't sure what you meant. You're absolutely right. I mean some artists NEVER make it here and have quite successful careers in Europe, Asia, etc.

Jarleboy and Osato like this.
  3. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

I'll give you A Taste Of Honey. They beat out Elvis Costello for best new artist (truly the kiss of death award).
    Love that the article features a picture of Chic.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, though I think that long gap was more due to a desire to care for her kid than to consciously "avoid the spotlight".

My point is that she did follow up "This Fire" in a reasonably expedient manner, and "Amen" essentially flopped.

It's easier to decide to "avoid the spotlight" when there's not much demand for your music! ;)

mtvgeneration likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

The article probably should specify "careers that fizzled IN THE US", not just "fizzled" period.

Though the Bee Gees are a stupid choice no matter what...

Hadean75 likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I get that A Taste Of Honey winning Best New Artist is somewhat dubious -- but they made some good music outside of the hit single AND they had another Top 3 hit with their remake of "Sukiyaki" in 1981.

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I think Amen is excellent. Is the question about popularity or about musical excellence?

8. Oatsdad

Popularity. The subject addresses artists whose commercial careers "fizzled" after they won the Grammy.

I've remained a Cole fan and have seen her multiple times from 1998 to date, so I'm not hatin' on her! :D

9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'm guess I'm just not quite sure what they're getting at with the idea of a career fizzling. I tried to look at the article and see if there was an introduction that explained their rationale, but it just appears to go straight into the slideshow. Amazing journalism here. :)

pghmusiclover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.