"20 Movies So Bad, They're Good"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Panama Hotel, Nov 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've seen Skidoo (the first slide, but oddly they don't seem to identify it beyond "Carol Channing Acid Trip"), Plan 9 and Mommie Dearest.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Funny, I just rewatched Skidoo last night. It's a fascinating relic of the late '60's.

Post-Punk Monk likes this.
  3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually. if you're quoting Leonard Maltin's review, he said "To Hell with it")

Sedwards likes this.
  4. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

To quote sammy davis jr in the trailer, 'if you don't like this daddy, you don't like chicken on sunday."

mBen989 likes this.
  5. Randall DeBouvre

skidoo has 4 actors who played batman villians:
    otto preminger
    frank gorshin
    caeser romero
    burgess meredith

knob twirler, lbangs and mBen989 like this.
  6. Randall DeBouvre

one last thing about skidoo. jackie gleason plays a wise guy named tony banks.

mBen989 likes this.
  7. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Seen most. They're all actually bad. Doesn't mean they're not fun to watch in spots! :)

8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm a lover of "so bad it's good" and own Showgirls, Xanadu, The Room, Grease 2, Mommie Dearest and Cats on blu-ray (Staying Alive on DVD only, hasn't been upgraded) for the very reason that I love campy awful cinema. Staying Alive might be the most embarassing of the list simply because it's the sequel to a genuinely good movie.

9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

BTW you could almost do a top 20 bad Travolta movies alone that fit this criteria. For every Pulp Fiction, Blow Out and Saturday Night Fever, there's been five Perfect, Moment By Moment, The Fanatic (this one deserves to be a cult classic), Staying Alive, Two Of A Kind and Battlefield Earth's

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Not calling ' The People Versus O J Simpson' bad because it was quite good but Travolta as Robert Shapiro was very strange.

Michael likes this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yep. Mommie Dearest is supposed to be serious, but the way it's executed is as if it was John Waters given a big budget. I could almost picture Divine and Edith Massey in that movie

Dudley Morris and beccabear67 like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have only seen two of those, Showgirls and Plan 9. I was at the Cinerama Theater in Seattle for a 70 mm screening of Dune back around 1985 or 1986, but it was the fourth title on a midnight 70mm science fiction film festival, so I think it started at something like 6:30 a.m., and I pretty much slept through the entire thing.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

That page is so java/flash fancy that something in it doesn't work so I don't even see any list. Either I'm out of date or my security won't let something through. First thought though is Polyester ought to be there.

I can agree Cats is bad, but just bad, any version. :D

14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Yeah, that part woke me right up when I saw it years ago. Great performance!

unclefred likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did anyone make a list
    mine was due to lack of patients ...I want to see a list. : )

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the hair man, it's the hair...I don't know what he's was thinking?

17. Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel in transit to the Mars Thread Starter

see, that explains my suggestion for a mashup.

18. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Seven year old me enjoyed Battle Beyond the Stars in the theater, and I haven't felt the need to validate this since... : )

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

19. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Was “Supergirl” 1984 that bad? I remember seeing it and thinking it was like all the Christopher Reeve “Superman” films…kind of mediocre but not terrible. But what I remember was when she said “who cares who was the third baseman for the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates?” I immediately said “Don Hoak”. Something that Richard Neer of WNEW-FM (AOR rock) and WFAN (sports talk) once said every one of his friends had the same reaction.

I have both laserdisc and special edition of “Showgirls”. Jessie from “Saved by the Bell” nekkid.

Isn’t “Battle Beyond the Stars” one of the few movies Marta Kristen made after “Lost in Space” destroyed her career? Saw that and “Mommie Dearest” while in the military…also a Mark Goddard vehicle “Blue Sunshine” about a strain of LSD that 10 years later turns people into mutants that belongs here.

20. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

That's also good review, but no, I was quoting one I read online somewhere. Don't remember the site. But TV Guide had this to say:
    "Wooden acting marks this lumbering tale about a monster tree stump whose bite is worse than its bark."

It's actually out on blu-ray with a 4 1/2 star rating on amazon.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Road House (twice)
    Batman and Robin
    Mommie Dearest
    Dune
    (twice)
    Plan 9 from Outer Space

22. Randall DeBouvre

yeah, I think that it was a blantant example of stunt casting, and it was a total distraction. call be crazy ; but I would have cast stanley tucci as shapiro and put bushy eye brows and a toupee on him.

23. Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel in transit to the Mars Thread Starter

The slide show entry for "Cats" shows a picture of Taylor Swift made up like some sort of wildcat species, like a serval. Fur on her face and airthing. The still frame alone is so bad that it's good. It's ridiculous.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    beccabear67 likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Battle Beyond The Stars is a marvellous space age version of The Magnificent Seven (which, of course is a remake, itself). Even has Robert Vaughan essentially reprising his role from the first film.

Masters Of The Universe is surely Dolph Lundgren's finest film and Frank Langella is super as Skeletor. Great watch.

Anaconda is a hoot. Excellent monster movie pastiche, with Jon Voight at his manically scenery chewing best.

The others I've seen are in the so-bad-it's-bad category.

25. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Showgirls reminds me of a Russ Meyer (Beyond the Valley…)quote in which he claimed that the way to make a comedy is to never tell the actors it’s a comedy. Seems to apply to the young cast of Starship Troopers as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.