20 Original Albums (Box) - Johnny Cash (Columbia/Legacy)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Never thought I'd see the day I'd buy any Johnny Cash albums but this 20 CD (currently selling on Amazon UK for £22) was just too tempting a deal to pass on.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DYZJ6RQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

20 Original Albums - Johnny Cash (Columbia/Legacy)

20 CDs, no additional tracks, original artwork, cardboard sleeves and 36 colour page booklet.

I've had a chance to listen to all albums and am initially most impressed with the titles originally released in the late 1950's and early 1960's and issued here in Mono. From the later releases (in Stereo) Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash At San Quentin and Johnny 99 sounded like the business too.

Although the title on the box is 20 Original Albums the early Mono ones on the digital read-out state The Perfect Collection, while some of the later ones refer to The Complete Columbia Album Collection (I guess all editions in this box are the exact same as those included in the bigger Complete Columbia box set).

1. The Fabulous Johnny Cash (Mono Version)
    2. Hymns By Johnny Cash (Mono Version)
    3. Songs Of Our Soil (Mono Version)
    4. Now, There Was A Song! (Mono Version)
    5. Ride This Train (Mono Version)
    6. I Walk The Line (Mono Version)
    7. Bitter Tears - Ballads of the American Indian (Mono Version)
    8. Orange Blossom Special (Mono Version)
    9. Johnny Cash Sings The Ballads Of The True West (Mono Version)
    10. Everybody Loves A Nut (Mono Version)
    11. From Sea To Shining Sea (Mono Version)
    12. Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (Stereo Version)
    13. Johnny Cash At San Quentin (Stereo Version)
    14. Hello, I'm Johnny Cash (Stereo Version)
    15. The Johnny Cash Show (Stereo Version)
    16. A Thing Called Love (Stereo Version)
    17. John R. Cash (Stereo Version)
    18. One Piece At A Time (Stereo Version)
    19. Johnny 99 (Stereo Version)
    20. Heroes [with Waylon Jennings] (Stereo Version)

All in all I'm very happy with the majority of albums in this box.

Sometime soon I know I'll want to pick up a few more Johnny Cash titles, so any suggestions on what essential ones I should I have at the top of the wanted list would be most welcome.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Volt-and-Volume and Dubmart like this.
  2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

That seems like an excellent price! Congrats. If you are looking for more let me recommened Carryin' On With Johhny Cash and June Carter, Man in Black, American Recordings, and Unchained (these last two are, imo, two of the best Cash ever did in his carreer). I'd also suggest anything containing his earlier Sun singles, escpecially for "Cry! Cry! Cry!" and "Hey, Porter". The "Essential Johnny Cash 1955-1983" is also a fine overview 3-disc box and is a great place to start for beginners (not that you are with this 20-disc set).

3. Jackie P

Sony now promoting the Johnny Cash as their "Legacy Box Set Of The Week"
    with this "Unboxing the box" ad!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. That's a wonderful box set. Got it for Christmas.

5. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

But it doesn't have "Look At Them Beans"! :tsk:

Tjazz and Scope J like this.
  6. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Nope, but the Complete Columbia box does!:pineapple:

Tjazz and Scope J like this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

This was discussed in another thread here. Can one of you who has it confirm the early albums are in mono as they are in the "complete" set? I have the larger set, however I'm curious.

8. Is that the one album you'd say any Cash fan ought to add to their collection after having bought "20 Original Albums" (other than the Rick Rubin-produced albums)? Just asking because I was wondering what I was missing, when I chose to buy "20 Original Albums". That other "complete" box set is simply too expensive for me.

9. And what about the album "Man In Black" (?), yet another album that's not included in the box set "20 Original Albums". Is it worth having?

10. Jackie P

Yes, the early albums (the first 11 listed in post number 1) are all in Mono.

Mr. H likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

All six American Recordings albums are worth seeking out, IMO (as is the Unearthed box set). Unchained is my favorite of the bunch, but they're all really great.

Clanceman and Mr. H like this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The Legacy editions of his two prison albums are also well worth getting, in my opinion. They are very different listening experiences to the album versions.

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

No...; I wouldn't say that. I just like the song and I love the cover of the record:

beans.png

Plus, I confess to really loving to eat green beans too... :agree: :righton:

I'm actually a Johnny Cash newbie... :shrug:

Tjazz and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Junkie & the Juicehead either :(

15. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Playing on Spotify now. Thanks. :)

Scope J likes this.
  16. I really like the album cover, too. Back then album covers often had so much charm.

17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Rosanne Cash sings on this album.

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.