„2001: A Space Odyssey“ appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not in this case! It‘s the best looking disc in my 4K collection although it‘s the second-oldest film I own on UHD Blu-Ray:cool:

2. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

The 4K uhd is stunning.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, cost $10 Million but eventually made $146 million. From Wikipedia:

In its first nine weeks from 22 locations, it grossed $2 million in the United States and Canada. The film earned $8.5 million in theatrical gross rentals from roadshow engagements throughout 1968, contributing to North American rentals of $16.4 million and worldwide rentals of $21.9 million during its original release. The film's high costs, in excess of $10 million, meant that the initial returns from the 1968 release left it $800,000 in the red; but the successful re-release in 1971 made it profitable. By June 1974, the film had rentals from the United States and Canada of $20.3 million (gross of $58 million) and international rentals of $7.5 million. The film had a reissue on a test basis on 24 July 1974 at the Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles and grossed $53,000 in its first week, which led to an expanded reissue. Further re-releases followed, giving a cumulative gross of over $60 million in the United States and Canada. Taking its re-releases into account, it is the highest-grossing film of 1968 in the United States and Canada. Worldwide, it has grossed $146 million across all releases, although some estimates place the gross higher, at over $190 million.

At the time (1968-1969), my memory is that it was a massive success, hitting the cover of Time magazine and being a constant source of conversation. There were theaters that played 2001 for six months, which was very unusual, even for the 1960s. I just read a long, long 512-page book, Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece, and they go into extravagant detail about how concerned and terrified MGM management was that the movie was going to bomb, then they were completely relieved when it wound up actually doing pretty well (for a $10 million-dollar, 3-hour "art" film).

There was a point when Kubrick thought it was going to end his career, because the early reviews were so bad: some critics actually got up and walked out of the initial screening. But much to everybody's surprise, the counter-culture embraced the film and made it a fairly massive hit, particularly the college crowd. I have no doubt there were thousands of kids who took acid and then went to see 2001 just for the experience in the theater... but to me, the film was psychedelic enough just on its own.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey! Foreshadowing...

[​IMG]

More than one observer has said, "wow... Kubrick actually invented the idea of the iPad 40 years in advance!"

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And now there's this...

What if George Lucas directed 2001: A Space Odyssey?

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

:laugh:

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That's probably a mercy. I read the book first, and the movie did not live up to it in spots. It's really cool, yes. But the sets look like they are trying too hard to be "futuristic" and it's a 60s view of "futuristic" at that. The sequence after the stargate did not live up to my imagination from the book...what could, really? Those two things overshadowed the rest...

I'm interested in the picture quality comments. I have not seen this movie in SO long, this thread tells me it is time to give it another chance. Let's see if it unseats 2010 as one of my all-time favorites (where the future looks not so different, and the Jupiter scenes are really cool.

Yes, I've read every single thing Clarke wrote. Satellites, space elevators (skyhooks), jeez what a fellow. All his stuff is good in my opinion though some denser than others. Do read the 2001 book sometime but I warn you the ending is just as chopped off as in the movie. Thank you thank you thank you Sir Arthur Clarke for your many tales of wonder.* On bulk I can forgive you for calling 3001 the "Final Odyssey" even though well spoilers, never mind. I guess for him it truly was the Final Odyssey, no time/strength left. I hope fervently that someday someone worthy will persuade his estate to let them write 10,001 [prayers to all deities emoji]

*For those who haven't, the especial musts are the short stories "The Nine Billion Names Of God" and "The Star" WITHOUT reading about them or letting anyone tell you. Also if you like science fiction, or cars, check out "Old Paint" by Megan Lindholm Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy

longdist01 likes this.
  8. The Clarke story only covers a small portion of the film (very small) but pivotal sequence.

9. I had the opposite experience. While Clarke’s novel wasn’t a disappointment, Kubrick’s film was so visceral and much more immediate and the opening Dawn of Man sequence so amazing, the film soared for me. I still enjoyed Clarke’s book just a very different experience.

recroom, Richard--W, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  10. Yep. There is an option on the sequels into films or TV shows. Who knows if anything will come of it?

11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

------------------------------------------------

3001: The Final Odyssey miniseries

On 3 November 2014 it was reported that the U.S. cable channel Syfy had ordered a miniseries adaptation of 3001: The Final Odyssey into production, planned for broadcast in 2015. The miniseries would be executive-produced by Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker and Stuart Beattie; the latter would also be the primary script-writer. The estates of both author Arthur C. Clarke and 2001: A Space Odyssey director Stanley Kubrick were reported as having "offered their full support", but the extent of their involvement was not known at the time.[96] In February 2016, the series was mentioned as one of Syfy's "in development pipeline" projects during their press release for Prototype,[97] though no further announcements have been made since that time.

--------------------------------------------------

I guess it all got cancelled?

12. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

"2061" and "3001" are both quite feeble sequels.

Richard--W likes this.
  13. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

There was a sequel written by Arthur C. Clark and directed by Peter Hyams called 2010 - The Year We Make Contact starring Roy Scheider and John Lithgow. Certainly a different artistic flair than Stanley Kubrick, but still a good film in its own right.

2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) - IMDb

SamS and Sevoflurane like this.
  14. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I can't explain why, but ever since I saw the film as a kid with my dad (huge sci-fi fan), I've really, really wanted to eat that food on those trays. Like it'd probably be disgusting, but there's just something about it that made a huge impression on me as a kid. Makes no logical sense, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but everytime I say those food trays it's just looks like the most attractive thing I've ever seen. Weird 2001 food fetish.

Richard--W and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  15. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe because the food looks extremely clean?
    :p

16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

2010 is a decent enough Sci Fi film with an excellent cast. It is a much more straightforward adaptation of the book (with a cameo from Arthur C himself), which was probably a wise choice. Trying to ape (no pun intended) 2001 would have failed spectacularly.

SamS, The Dragon and Spokeless like this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've been holding off on posting this, but the film "5-25-77", which finally went into general release
    last year, and is now on Blu-ray, is everything a 2001 fan (and Close Encounters and Star Wars) should absolutely see. One of the best films I've seen in a long time (as a science fiction film "geek").
    It's now on Showtime, I DVR'd it, and so far have watched it three times in three days.
    It's the true story of Patrick Read Johnson, a major film maker who recreates his story when he was 9 to 18 years old, and if you're a "2001" geek (which he saw at 9 years old in 1968) to "Star Wars"
    (he was the FIRST person to see a rough cut of it) to "Close Encounters Of The Third KInd"
    his life was an obsession to someday meet Douglas Trumbull.
    The cast is amazing, and the recreations of those films being made is a must see for scifi
    film geeks (like myself). A must see.
    (Has anyone here seen it yet?)

Vidiot likes this.
  18. sixtiesstereo

And here's one more trailer for "5-25-77". The references to 2001 are throughout.
    You have to see this film.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

OK, so where can one stream this film today, in 2023?

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

longdist01 likes this.
  21. sixtiesstereo

That seems to be correct. The reason I was able to watch/DVR it is because I currently have two months
    free Showtime with DISH. I believe you can stream it on Amazon for $3.99.

longdist01 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Actually, if you look closely at a 70mm print or the 4K UHD disc on a large screen, you'll see the Discovery is not so clean as it appears in low-resolution or on small screens. Viewing the 4K disc on my 77" LG OLED panel, I can easily see that the decking (floor) of the centrifuge is dirty and smudged from Bowman and Poole walking/running on it. It's not so obvious on the pic below, but check out the film on a big screen.

[​IMG]

I've also been amused by the cabin controls of the SpaceX Dragon spaceship and some similarities to the "2001" Discovery. The comparison is really stunning... with the modern Dragon's clean, white interior and control panels framed in black backgrounds. Though the controls are mostly touch screens, the physical buttons are white squares and rectangles.
    Considering the film is 55 years old, I think Kubrick's designers did a remarkable job projecting the future.

[​IMG]

I saw "2001" in its original theatrical release in 1968 (I was 15) and will never forget how awestruck I was. When the outer space scene began, I gasped to myself, "Finally, FINALLY, somebody has done it!!"-- as I always imagined that space could look like this, and now I was finally seeing it. It's hard to explain to a young viewer today what a mind-blower "2001" was at the time-- flawless effects that were a quantum leap beyond anything that had come before it.
    It's also a stroke of good fortune that it was filmed in 70mm, the best at the time, to retain the detail of the work that went into it for future generations to appreciate.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My all-time favorite movie of any genre.
    <------ See that screen name, HGN2001? That's my initials and my favorite movie name!

When I worked in radio back in the 70s, there was a re-release of the film in theatres. This was the commercial on that old reel-to-reel supplied to the station by the ad agency. Naturally, I saved it for posterity:

Don't know how I missed this thread.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Phillipe, Jack Lord, numer9 and 5 others like this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

2001: a space odyssey has become my favorite movie of all time, but it wasn't always that way.

In the summer of 1968, I was a 17-year old, and there were two big science fiction movies that I wanted to see: 2001: a space odyssey and PLANET OF THE APES. Back then, these big movies played "downtown" in Philadelphia, and when you were a suburban kid like me, you had to make your way to center city to one of the big theaters to see these kinds of films when they first played. It would be months until the smaller suburban theaters would show these, so if you wanted to see them, you found a way to get downtown to see them.

Without a car at that point, I relied on parents, friends, and/or public transit. As it happened, Mom and my sisters planned a trip to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and Dad and I went to see 2001: a space odyssey at the Cinerama theater (the Boyd?). I recall sitting in the main orchestra section, maybe halfway back. As the film started with the Dawn of Man section, I looked at Dad and quipped, "Are you sure we didn't accidently go to PLANET OF THE APES?" It all washed over me and I was confused as was seemingly all of the audience, a feeling I got at the Intermission as I stumbled past moviegoers who were also puzzled. Dad and I chalked it up to a fun evening and maybe a not-so-good movie.

That fall I started college and was looking around in the campus bookstore and saw the novelization of 2001: a space odyssey. I thumbed through it and must have picked up some tidbit of information that I hadn't put together from seeing the movie, bought the book and devoured it. That made me want to see the film again. It was still playing downtown at the same Cinerama theater, so a buddy and I traveled downtown on the elevated/subway train, bough tickets and sat in the first row of the balcony, dead center. That location on the theater made a big difference and I was much more dazzled by the images playing out on the curved screen. Having now read the book, I was much more "into" the story and it all made much more sense. It was at that point that the film became my favorite of all time. I think I saw it something like 15-20 times in theaters before it ultimately disappeared from local showings. I was thrilled when it aired on NBC.

I taped that showing - on reel-to-reel tape, audio only. Try just "listening" to 2001 sometime. Lots of quiet audio and breathing...

I finally got a pan and scan version on VHS in the early 80s when HBO showed it. Other formats followed, and so did I, up to the latest 4K Blu-ray (and I don't even own a 4K TV!)

Oh yeah, I liked PLANET OF THE APES when we went to see that one.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great to read and see some of these vintage audio and television Trailer, thanks for sharing and posting here!