2001 A Space Odyssey is supposed delayed till 30 Nov. Amazon just shipped me a copy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

I just got a shipping notice from Amazon that promises me my copy is on the way and coming this Tuesday. This is the UHD-BD, 4k....

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It can only be attributable to human error.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Maybe could be an Amazon robot too

Matt Richardson likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

"Open the mailbox door Hal...."

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

6. Rachael Bee

I think it means it got canceled so late that the far outpost it's coming from didn't get the word on time. It must mean that they couldn't get enough discs ready to stock all the warehouses this week. I'm looking forward to Tuesday's post.

McLover and longdist01 like this.
  7. Rachael Bee

It's nice to know that Hal thought about me..... ;)

parman and longdist01 like this.
  8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I already got my copy, from Amazon, today (10/26/2018).

Bill Hunt, at the Digital Bits said, " Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially delayed the 4K Ultra HD release of 2001: A Space Odyssey from 10/30 to 11/20. We suspect it’s just an issue of replication under capacity causing delays in getting enough product finished for street date. Now... some people are already getting notices from Amazon and Zavvi that their copies have shipped or are about to. So this may be one of those situations were product just kind of tumbles out slowly over the next three weeks. But the official street date is now 11/20 per WBHE, so adjust your plans accordingly."

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just did a spit-take all over my monitor.

10. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I received my 4k copy from Amazon yesterday. Looks fantastic!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Same here. I received mine today 10/29. I think they are, perhaps, having a shortage of product perhaps demand was bigger than anticipated.

A very nice looking transfer in 4K. I love the casual performance of the actor who plays Dr. Heywood Floyd. It's so natural so much like a....politician (I know he's not playing one but still) and charismatic.

Old Rusty, MisterBritt and longdist01 like this.
  12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Got mine. Looks incredible.

13. Rachael Bee

My copy is due tomorrow. I need to see a good movie, desperately. I saw Uncle Drew tonight and I have the shakes..... ;)

Old Rusty and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't have a 4k set, so I'll have to wait. I waited 16 years for my first plasma, but I'm running out of time. 15 screenplays later, I continue to suffer for my art.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hang on sloopy.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah I thought he was good too. Funny that he pretty much disappeared after this.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

There is a new Bluray out as well so your plasma is safe this week.

longdist01 and jh901 like this.
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Buy the 4K now. The Blu is remastered as well.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. There's a Blu-ray as well and it uses the same master. It looks exceptional as well.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think it looks quite good. The pink hallway is a little weird, but strangely there is nothing else that stands out to me. The colors are really well done to my eyes.

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

IronWaffle likes this.
  22. I agree. Looking carefully at the visual effects, there's only one shot that I could find out of the 220 that had any flaws which is amazing considering when it was made. The Monolith looks a bit transparent around the edges just in that single shot but everything else including the slitscan/wormhole sequence works amazingly well. What always impressed me is how Kubrick got away with some avant-garde New Wave touches in the film (such as the stills of Dave when he goes through the wormhold or gate showing his overwhelmed reaction--it works so well because it is as if he is stuck in a moment in time).

I wrote a review at Amazon but, given that I reviewed the DVD over a decade ago, they won't let me (or maybe it was the first Blu-ray) post it for the 4K.

article on the making of the film (and Liz Moore who sculpted the Star Child)
    Making the Starchild in '2001': a tribute to Liz Moore

IronWaffle and genesim like this.
  23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I have never trusted bluray.com. There have been blatant problems with releases that they ignore.

I look for High Def Digest, DVD Beaver, Home Theater...etc.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Problem with DVD Beaver is a focus on weird and marginal blu-ray releases, in my opinion, almost to the exclusion of stuff I care about (and I don't care about Fast and Furious 13).

25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think main websites are for mainstream. I love that he picks obscure stuff. I have discovered so many classics because of him. He has great taste and shoots it straight for the most part. Is he right all the time....who is?

For his small show, I have deep respect for his work. I love reading his spoiler free reviews. He has great knowledge of film and will answer emails and be helpful with any questions he knows.

I thank goodness the day I discovered his website.

..also he helped get quite a few releases get fixed because he spotted problems early and keeps people informed instead of acting like pompous arses that can't be bothered.

Just my feelings. Can you tell I love his website?

aussievinyl and townsend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.