2001 A Space Odyssey is supposed delayed till 30 Nov. Amazon just shipped me a copy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thans for that

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I would wait for a few more reviews of the new 1080 Blu-ray if I was in your situation. Some people are saying the HDR to SDR implementation is sketchy.

If I owned both a 4k TV and an Oppo 4k player like yourself, I would have trouble holding out on the 4k version of this like you are doing! :)

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. The Blu-ray is the same transfer as the 4k plus, once you upgrade, you will have the disc. Both look quite nice.

stereoptic and longdist01 like this.
  4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

andybeau, longdist01 and SamS like this.
  5. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

6. longdist01 likes this.
  7. They shipped you a copy? I complaint about the delay via chat telling the asistant that several customers got their sets from them including the link to this thread. Guess what. I receiced TWO COPIES ON DIFFERENT SHIPMENTS WHILE i HAD ONLY ORDERED ONE.

8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

do I get a like for not starting a new thread?

here are the search results for Douglas Rain,...

"Steve Hoffman Music Forums
    No results found."

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

No, but you do get a monolith in your front yard..... ;)

longdist01, darkmass and YpsiGypsy like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

One of my warmest "2001" stories is that I am such a HAL9000 nut, that I managed to wrangle that as my license plate when NJ went to seven digits on their plates: HAL9000. And when I moved to LA with that plate I was driving in the windy hills above the city and Scott Glen was coming up the snaking road in the other direction. He saw my plate and gave me a big smile and thumbs up. So you know he's another "2001" fan.

Sevoflurane, andybeau, Vidiot and 5 others like this.
  11. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I read on the Digital Bit's that 2001 will be delayed until 12/18.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

or for holiday decorating

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

or Master Replica Groups offerings

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

All I have to say to Hal is your mother was a garbage disposal and your father was a transistor radio. That makes you R2D2's grandfather....so bleep off permanently! This black hole is for you..... ;) Recycling is deep.

Ghostworld and wayneklein like this.
  15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I received a shipping notice for the remastered BD today.

16. It does kind of fade but not quite as slowly as the laserdisc as I recall and the cut is a bit quicker to appear. As to the scene in the tunnel, it looks right to me but I will admit my memory fades with time...

17. That explains why R2 is sooooo stubborn!

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I got my 2001 4k on next day delivery - no delays here in the UK from Amazon.

I really enjoyed re-watching this, if i recall when i watched the BluRay release a few years back, I noticed joins in the background scenes (presumably painted scenery??) on the Africa scenes - no longer here now and looking very realistic - maybe I'm imagining what I saw... on the 4k though I did get the feeling that the models look less realistic to me now, maybe that's just a mix of the difference in perception after being spoiled by CGI in newer movies and now watching on a bigger screen.

Anyway still a great story, the stargate scene looks awesome.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I would be curious if it was supposed to be this way. Though cut frames seems weird to me. I hate that this could get by quality if this is a mistake.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’ll probably get one but I’m bummed out it’s not Douglas Rain.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I just watched Filmworker, and since Leon Vitali was in charge of the 4K 2001 is the way it is supposed to be unless there was a manufacturing error.

Vitali was as much Kubrick as anyone but Stanley himself could be.

22. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Best Buy cancelled my preorder citing “safety concerns”.. this was to be my first 4K disc since getting my oppo203- nothing issued really interested me.

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Expand your horizons. That's the music equivalent of having no interst in any SACDs released so far. You've got a dead end player. Give it some spins!

Several Nolan titles
    Groundhog Day
    Leon: The Professional
    Blade Runner
    Sicario
    Goodfellas
    Mission : Impossible series

I have roughly 100 and that's a small collection.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Vitali is human. No one has suggested sabotage.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For some reason, I had a helluva time getting the 4K disc to play -- my Oinkyo receiver balked at passing the HDR signal -- so we beat it to death and finally wound up bypassing the receiver and just going directly into the 4K display. It looked fantastic. I can positively say this is the best I've ever seen 2001 look, and I've seen it three or four times at various Cinerama theaters in 70mm, and I've bought every version of 2001 going back to Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, the whole schmeer.

I think occasionally the super-bright images, particularly of Jupiter or the Moon, were a little too bright and dynamic in relation to the other objects in the frame. But the scenes of the apes were fine, the stuff on the moon was fine, almost all the scenes on the Discovery were great. Some of the colors really jumped out me: normal color space has kind of a puny range on greens, so it was a little shocking for me to see the amount of green highlights that popped up in the scene where Dave Bowman pulls most of HAL's memory cards. I remembered the scene as only being red, so that was kind of a revelation.

And the "star gate sequence" was amazing, with a vividness to the color patterns and lights that I've never seen better. I think they could have worked harder at making the pure white areas of the Discovery and the alien hotel room more pure white, but it was still very, very good. Detail was stunning: I could read all kinds of little filagree and lettering off to the sides that was never visible before, like the IBM logos on the edge of the pseudo-iPads the astronauts had.

Sound mix was exemplary, and grain was much, much less than I feared. Somebody explain to me why a 1968 film like 2001 has far less grain than the 4K versions of Close Encounters and Starship Troopers (done almost 10 years and 30 years later, respectively). This is how a great digital restoration should look. Loved it. Kudos to the guys at Warner MPI Burbank for doing a helluva job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.