2001 A Space Odyssey is supposed delayed till 30 Nov. Amazon just shipped me a copy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It is not a brightly lit film. I was ok with it. There are a good handful of 4K releases to avoid- T2, for example. Home video departments will never get the message if the very few who care remain silent.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Die Hard takes place at night and other than some indoor scenes, it's grainy. It would seem that Fox choose to even out the grain. They took out too much detail in a great many scenes. That's what I thought when I saw some waxy looking faces in numerous scenes.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, if you think the Blu-ray was grainy, wait'll you see the 4K Blu-ray. It looks like it's snowing in the entire movie. Haaaaarible. Real projected film does not look this bad. I'm astonished so many people don't see it or don't care.

And yeah, I'm looking on a calibrated monitor and all the detail-enhancement circuits are bypassed.

Ghostworld and budwhite like this.
  4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I finally watched Close Emcounters last night on a 70 inch 4K screen. I went with the director's cut. It looked superb!!!!!!!

It had so much detail and clarity.

I have been watching it on every single release since the VHS days and I have never ever seen such detail.

Just like with 2001 4K (yes I am a believer now)

High def digest on Close encounters:

9 out of 10

"The results are astounding and simply beautiful, to say the least, making contact on Ultra HD thanks to a strong HEVC H.265 encode that surprisingly surpasses all previous home video arrivals."

"For fans of this sci-fi epic, the Spielberg classic has never looked better than it does on Ultra HD."

Bluray.com: 4.5 out of 5

"The picture is gorgeously filmic, retaining a natural, critical grain structure that accentuates the innate qualities of its source photography."

"The UHD presentation is a very positive upward boost for the film"

"This UHD release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind earns my highest recommendation."

AVS Robert Harris:

5 out of 5

"Enter the desert sequence, and unlike the Blu-ray, the 4k has absolute control, with sand differentiated from film grain."

"CE3K in 4k is a magnificently produced disc."

"Very Highly Recommended

RAH"

I concur with jh901 as well Sony has slammed it out of the park.

-nuff said (will miss you forever Stan).

jh901 likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'd hate for members here to rely on this single opinion, which is an outlier. Sony 4K is the standard and Close Encounters is no exception. It saddens me that some here might pass on this release. It is amazing. Full stop.

genesim likes this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The "fade to black" will be corrected according to info posted on blu-ray.com. The 18 frame [.7 seconds] fade has been inserted by the mastering team. No word on a replacement program yet. I'm also not sure if Dec 18 remains official release.

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

COOOOOOOL!!!

8. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Any update?? Maybe after the 18th...

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Warner may believe that they can pretend that no one paid for the faulty release (packaging and content). I'll find out on or just after the 18th.

sharedon likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is wrong with the packaging on the original UHD release?

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The image used for the front of the box was supposed to be used for the case as well. I'll do just fine with my "collectible" edition. WB had best not try to play dumb though. I expect a brand new set shipped to my mailbox at their cost!

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Oops.

There was indeed a real error. Now fixed.

Hope you didn't cause any confusion for those trying to get at the truth.

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've gotten the corrected 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY on Blu-ray and 4K. I don't have a 4K setup and don't plan on going there any time soon, but the plain old Blu-ray itself is an upgrade. The colors look more "correct" to me - I know that's a difficult and subjective thing to deal with - but it really does look more natural to me. An example is the first words in the film scene where the attendant says "Here you are sir, main level please." In that scene in the old Blu-ray, the faces of the attendant and Floyd both looked excessively pink, almost matching the attendant's dress. On the new Blu-ray, the faces look like a more natural flesh tone.

The fade is corrected in this edition. It was much ado about nothing, but then this is a Kubrick film and I'm happy that someone at Warners cared enough to get it right.

longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I got my 2001 last month. Is my copy defective? What do I have to do to get a replacement? Is the digital copy also defective?

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Where did you get the Blu-ray? All I can find on Amazon is the 4K only package.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The Hud likes this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If you consider a 0.7-second extra bit of video with a hard cut instead of a fade defective, then yes, your early copy is likely "defective."

As far as I know, there is no replacement program in place, but perhaps if you contact Warner Brothers, someone there might be able to help you. Since they never intended all of those early releases to be valid, I guess they don't feel like they have to replace them.

People who've found the early copy on shelves of Best Buy and tried to buy them have had the item flagged as DO NOT SELL.

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I sent an email to WB. Several from blu dot com did as well.

Will follow up once they get in touch. Holidays likely to slow response.

20. Honest question: Have you watched it? Did you see or hear a problem?

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

If we are going to be blunt and honest, then the truth is that a small fraction of a percent has expertise on nearly anything. Many of us take pleasure in learning from those who simply know more.

The fact of the matter is that there is an editing error at the end of discussion among the scientists. WB will take advantage of general ignorance or apathy. No real harm.

Those interested should be given an easy way to show proof of purchase and get a voucher for a free corrected example. I will pursue and report back.

kronning and sharedon like this.
  22. woody

woody Forum Resident

Think we may have the new 4K 2001 on TCM tonight. Stupid me went to the bathroom during the space station conversation so don’t know about that.

4K downgraded to 720p still looks better than the old 1080p disc.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. They did a marvelous job with “Alien”.

24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

:agree: They sure did. I watched it a few days back. Even though they didn't give it Atmos or DTS-X audio, my processor and fleet of speakers made it seem like they did.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I got a replacement UHD/Blu-ray pack from the distributor in Australia, and can confirm that both the 4K and blu-ray have the fixed fade. However I forgot to check if they fixed the sync on the music for the opening credits (the remix has the issue, the titles appear out of sync with the fanfare, but the original mix is fine)

If you want a surreal and horrible experience, turn on the dreaded "Mexican Soap Opera" mode and some noise reduction on your flat screen and watch 2001. Makes it look like an episode of Doctor Who. The spaceship SFX bits look like something out of Red Dwarf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.