2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very few that could truly do the film justice for sure. It's not like when I saw "Apocalypse Now" in the city in 70mm or "Star Wars".

gd0 likes this.
  2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Playing twice on two different days in the Cinerama Dome (!) Hollywood.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, it’s a great theater for Academy ratio movies 4:3 because the screen is really tall. Not a great screen for widescreen movies like this one. But there aren’t any big screens in SF anymore.

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe someone mentioned this, if not I'm about 4/5 of the way through Space Odyssey

Incredibly detailed about every aspect of 2001 production, from the first concepting with Clarke to through Kubrick's refusal to compromise, through the previews. Quite a story, though of course it doesn't rival the actual movie.

Where are the visionaries these days?

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Making indies. The guys given most of the money are picked because they’re profitable with craptastic comedies, cartoons, and second rate tv shows. Only a powerhouse like Nolan could pull off getting a film like this made. The question is who had the guts except Stanley!

enro99 and Old Rusty like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll give you a hint: all the kids are on drugs and all the adults are playing video games.

DaveySR likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Revealer and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. Chill dude, it's probably a workprint or an answer-print. Happens all the time. Well, it used to happen all the time...
    [​IMG]

enro99, Spadeygrove and Dan C like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can see the space station not a neg.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

So, if it's going to be seen the way it was shown on release, will the excised 18 minutes be restored to the spacewalk? Somehow, I highly doubt it.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

As I understand it, Kubrick's will says his movies are to be maintained as he left them*. (That sentence opens a can of worms, doesn't it?)

* which would also cover Robert Harris' efforts for Spartacus

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I know, so I wish they would just cut the crap about "as originally seen".

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Yes, that is a positive (not a negative) image on the film, but still, gloves would be nice.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I count myself among the legion of 2001 fans and am looking forward to yet another purchase on another transfer and maybe even a chance to see it on the big screen again. I really don't care though about the footage that Kubrick cut out. Oh it might be nice to see once in my life as an extra tacked onto a disc version, but I wouldn't want the movie to be altered to accommodate it. The movie is slow to begin with.

It's funny too, because from what I've read of the trims, it's almost as if I DID see them. I don't think I was in any initial audience that would have seen the movie before Kubrick trimmed it, but the descriptions of the trims just sound like I've seen them. Probably just the mind playing tricks - and it says a lot about just how reliable memory is.

The Revealer likes this.
  17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Looks like test strips, basically comparing different color timings. They're meant to be handled and discarded. It's just part of the process.

dan c

DaveySR likes this.
  18. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I went back and looked at the photo closer, and that makes sense. You can see the short strips hanging in the back. Thanks for that clarification.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.
    The most insightful statement to me was:
    So is it still true today?

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And for my fellow 8% of males who suffer some degree of color-blindness, things were even looking great 20 years ago! :p

22. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

If he really wanted to make it seem like 1968 again he would have timed the prints for carbon arc light, and demanded they be projected through restored carbon arc projectors. :p

sunspot42 and Dave Garrett like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Interesting. So how are projectors different now?

24. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Since the early 70's projectors switched from actual burning carbon pencil-like sticks, to Xenon "light bulbs". No fire/burning involved.
    Some claim the only true light source comes from carbon arc sticks. Most of these folk are now dead.(not me! use to run a pair of these "beasts" back when...kinda cool!)
    Back to the OP.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    McLover, sunspot42 and DaveySR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.